Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a pair of questions.....
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hi to all...
i have an h14 turbo and just a pair of questions....

1) how i must use the metal plate of the jib sail with holes? wich is the use of these holes?

2) i have a pair of old epos,with a lot of scratch and dents,what happens if i put a layer of carbon fiber on each side and then polish all with epo making a very nice job?

thanx to all and sorry my english

max

Post subject: Holes in the clew plate
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome and don't worry about the English - I don't speak Italian very well either. The only Italian word I know is "Pizza" :wink: (oh yeah, and "Chianti" :lol: )

The holes in the plate really seem to be there just to save some weight. The only hole people seem to hang the blocks on is the bottom hole. Jaime ZX will have something to say about that I'm sure.

Don't know about building up the EPO's. I guess as long as you are careful to make sure they still fit the Rudder Castings that would work.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Found this article on restoring EPOs:

http://home1.gte.net/res07lm8/hobie/arc ... /tip29.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The holes in the jib clew plate can be used to fine tune how the jib sheet effects your jib sail. For most conditions the middle hole is used. If you are not racing I wouldn't give it much more thought right now.

When I had my H16 I used the upper hole in lighter air because the jib sheet would pull the leech of the sail down more and allow the foot some slack. This would give the sail more "belly" therefore more power. When I wanted to depower the jib I would use the bottom hole to pull on the foot more thus flattening the jib. I think I have that right. Someone who knows sails better than me will be able to confiirm that.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Using the Jib Clew settings as you said sounds logical to me BUT I don't think that the change over the 4 or 5 inch space makes as big a difference as just setting your traveler properly for heavy or light air.

I, of course am just repeating what I was always told.

Hey, you know how sometimes you get whacked in the head by your jib clew in gusty winds and it hurts like a bear? Yeah, just don't do that :lol: :roll: