Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Both of the turbo fins on my Revo have small tears in them. Has anyone used sealant/epoxy/? to squeeze a little more life out of the fins before replacement?

Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dahji wrote:
Both of the turbo fins on my Revo have small tears in them. Has anyone used sealant/epoxy/? to squeeze a little more life out of the fins before replacement?

I've used a rubber patch repair kit quite successfully, with large tears.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's a good idea. Did you try to drill a hole through the fin at the end of the crack to stop it from creeping?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Only my personal experience......I was unable to get a decent bond to the fins using a bicycle tyre repair kit, I went thru an entire patch kit but each time I could always pull the patch off with ease. I took my fin to a motorbike repair shop and they tried too but no success. I think the grey area of the fin is some kind of rubberised plastic and contact adhesive doesnt seem to adhere to it very well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ummm, I think the trick is not to try and pull the patch off. I think I could probably pull my patches off fairly easily if I tried, but I've just left them alone and they've lasted through countless hours of use. My tears have occurred in the black leading edge and tip of the fin, so I haven't had to stick them to the grey part.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

chrisj wrote:
Ummm, I think the trick is not to try and pull the patch off. I think I could probably pull my patches off fairly easily if I tried, but I've just left them alone and they've lasted through countless hours of use. My tears have occurred in the black leading edge and tip of the fin, so I haven't had to stick them to the grey part.

Moot point!!!!!!!.....of course that makes sense...put it another way, the patches seemed to peel off really easily...but seeing as how youve had no problem I will follow your advice and see what the adherence is like in under use rather than poking around with the patches beforehand!!! My tears are on the leading edge too but to get maximum contact area I used some of the grey area too. My patches have a foil cover on one side and a paper cover on the other, The foil cover thats over the inside of the patch came away easily, the patch adhered (but I dont think it was a real BOND) to the contact adhesive, it was when I tried to tear away the outside paper cover that the patch would come away...but I will just leave the paper covering on this time and let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I remember Stringy repaired his which was a pretty sucsessful result. He posted a thread, I'll try to find it for you. I think he used that blue PVC plumbers glue and a fibreglass matting.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try this. I think Stingy was happy with the results.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12497&hilit=fin+repair

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughter wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12497&hilit=fin+repair

Thanks for that Slaughter......looks good!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, thanks all for the replies. I'm just glad that some have had success with repair ...I wasn't looking forward to purchasing another set of turbo fins just yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Dahji,
The PVC cement will hold as long as you have roughened up the fin surface thoroughly and the roughness extends past the coverage of the cement. I like the PVC pipe cement because it can be applied very thinly and yet remains strong.
Philip,
Did you thoroughly roughen the surface of the fin when you used the bike patch? I found that the bike patch held well for a small repair on my original turbo's.
I haven't tried to repair the newer fins. It could be that the newer fin material is less compatable with adhesives. :?

PS-
Slaughter wrote:

I trust that is a typo and not some comment about my lack of culinary contributions on our last trip Slaughter! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Philip1el wrote:
Moot point!!!!!!!.....of course that makes sense...put it another way, the patches seemed to peel off really easily...but seeing as how youve had no problem I will follow your advice and see what the adherence is like in under use rather than poking around with the patches beforehand!!! My tears are on the leading edge too but to get maximum contact area I used some of the grey area too. My patches have a foil cover on one side and a paper cover on the other, The foil cover thats over the inside of the patch came away easily, the patch adhered (but I dont think it was a real BOND) to the contact adhesive, it was when I tried to tear away the outside paper cover that the patch would come away...but I will just leave the paper covering on this time and let you know how it goes.

Philip, it's probably just the brand of patches. Mine don't have any foil or paper covers. Stringy's method is probably better anyway (certainly tougher). I just took the lazy way out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like a job for Sugru.