Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:20 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:41 am
Posts: 3
Both of the turbo fins on my Revo have small tears in them. Has anyone used sealant/epoxy/? to squeeze a little more life out of the fins before replacement?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:13 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 am
Posts: 1785
Location: Calga NSW, Australia
Dahji wrote:
Both of the turbo fins on my Revo have small tears in them. Has anyone used sealant/epoxy/? to squeeze a little more life out of the fins before replacement?

I've used a rubber patch repair kit quite successfully, with large tears.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:21 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:41 am
Posts: 3
That's a good idea. Did you try to drill a hole through the fin at the end of the crack to stop it from creeping?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:05 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:57 am
Posts: 222
Location: Phuket, Thailand
Only my personal experience......I was unable to get a decent bond to the fins using a bicycle tyre repair kit, I went thru an entire patch kit but each time I could always pull the patch off with ease. I took my fin to a motorbike repair shop and they tried too but no success. I think the grey area of the fin is some kind of rubberised plastic and contact adhesive doesnt seem to adhere to it very well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:19 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 am
Posts: 1785
Location: Calga NSW, Australia
Ummm, I think the trick is not to try and pull the patch off. I think I could probably pull my patches off fairly easily if I tried, but I've just left them alone and they've lasted through countless hours of use. My tears have occurred in the black leading edge and tip of the fin, so I haven't had to stick them to the grey part.
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:16 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:57 am
Posts: 222
Location: Phuket, Thailand
chrisj wrote:
Ummm, I think the trick is not to try and pull the patch off. I think I could probably pull my patches off fairly easily if I tried, but I've just left them alone and they've lasted through countless hours of use. My tears have occurred in the black leading edge and tip of the fin, so I haven't had to stick them to the grey part.
Image


Moot point!!!!!!!.....of course that makes sense...put it another way, the patches seemed to peel off really easily...but seeing as how youve had no problem I will follow your advice and see what the adherence is like in under use rather than poking around with the patches beforehand!!! My tears are on the leading edge too but to get maximum contact area I used some of the grey area too. My patches have a foil cover on one side and a paper cover on the other, The foil cover thats over the inside of the patch came away easily, the patch adhered (but I dont think it was a real BOND) to the contact adhesive, it was when I tried to tear away the outside paper cover that the patch would come away...but I will just leave the paper covering on this time and let you know how it goes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:15 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:06 am
Posts: 1580
Location: Lake Macquarie NSW AUSTRALIA
I remember Stringy repaired his which was a pretty sucsessful result. He posted a thread, I'll try to find it for you. I think he used that blue PVC plumbers glue and a fibreglass matting.

_________________
Image

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:23 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:06 am
Posts: 1580
Location: Lake Macquarie NSW AUSTRALIA
Try this. I think Stingy was happy with the results.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12497&hilit=fin+repair

_________________
Image

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:21 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:57 am
Posts: 222
Location: Phuket, Thailand
Slaughter wrote:
Try this. I think Stingy was happy with the results.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12497&hilit=fin+repair


Thanks for that Slaughter......looks good!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:33 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:41 am
Posts: 3
Yes, thanks all for the replies. I'm just glad that some have had success with repair ...I wasn't looking forward to purchasing another set of turbo fins just yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:04 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:25 pm
Posts: 2026
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
Welcome Dahji,
The PVC cement will hold as long as you have roughened up the fin surface thoroughly and the roughness extends past the coverage of the cement. I like the PVC pipe cement because it can be applied very thinly and yet remains strong.
Philip,
Did you thoroughly roughen the surface of the fin when you used the bike patch? I found that the bike patch held well for a small repair on my original turbo's.
I haven't tried to repair the newer fins. It could be that the newer fin material is less compatable with adhesives. :?


PS-
Slaughter wrote:
Try this. I think Stingy was happy with the results.

I trust that is a typo and not some comment about my lack of culinary contributions on our last trip Slaughter! :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:26 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 am
Posts: 1785
Location: Calga NSW, Australia
Philip1el wrote:
Moot point!!!!!!!.....of course that makes sense...put it another way, the patches seemed to peel off really easily...but seeing as how youve had no problem I will follow your advice and see what the adherence is like in under use rather than poking around with the patches beforehand!!! My tears are on the leading edge too but to get maximum contact area I used some of the grey area too. My patches have a foil cover on one side and a paper cover on the other, The foil cover thats over the inside of the patch came away easily, the patch adhered (but I dont think it was a real BOND) to the contact adhesive, it was when I tried to tear away the outside paper cover that the patch would come away...but I will just leave the paper covering on this time and let you know how it goes.

Philip, it's probably just the brand of patches. Mine don't have any foil or paper covers. Stringy's method is probably better anyway (certainly tougher). I just took the lazy way out.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fin Repair?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 pm
Posts: 45
Location: Toledo, OH
Sounds like a job for Sugru.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group