Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone transported a Pro Angler in the back of a pick up truck? The local dealer said it wasn't a problem if it's tied in properly, but I wanted to see if anyone has any experience.
Thanks in advance for any info

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have, in the back of my F350. It hauls fine. If I had a regular PU I would get one of those extensions that fits in the receiver hitch. (My 350 has an 8 foot bed and with the tailgate only 3.5 feet stuck out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yaktone
I own a Toyota Tundra with the short bed. I purchased the bed extender from Northern Tool for $100.00. It works great!

Good Luck
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:13 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It will fit virtually any truck.

If you have a 6' bed or longer, you don't actually need a bed extender, but it does give piece of mind.
8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an F150 Supercrew with the short bed, with the tailgate down it's about 7' 8", so I think I'll be ok. I did however, find a bed extender at Harbor Freight for 39.99, so I'll probably get one.
I haven't got a Pro Angler yet, still contemplating what to buy. How is it for river fishing?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yaktone wrote:
I haven't got a Pro Angler yet, still contemplating what to buy. How is it for river fishing?

Mine's been great on the Little Red in Arkansas. It is a tailwater trout stream. I can go upstream against one unit coming out of the dam. I haven't tried it with two units on. It is a great comfortable ride for trout fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use an extender so I can mount a set of tail light and reflectors on it. Before I did that I had a couple of people almost hit the PA by following to close. I have always put red flags on the end. With tail light reflectors and turn signals on the extender people seem to stay back a little better. All the materials and extender came from HF.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I haul one in a short bed F-150 with no problems. I have a couple of tie down straps tied to the back of the PA that attach to the upper corners of my PU bed. I don't put much lift on them but it rides nicely. The bed extender is an obvious good decision. I just lucked into a Hobie Cat trailer online for $150. A few simple mods and it looks like a custom job.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
It will fit virtually any truck.

where do i buy one of these?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Harbor Freight has them for under 50 bucks on several "sales" each year. Available from many other places too but a little more expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yakkingaway wrote:
Harbor Freight has them for under 50 bucks on several "sales" each year. Available from many other places too but a little more expensive.

Thank god! There is a harbor freight right down the street from me, I wouldnt have thought they carried these, good looking out!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just tried out our Hobie Oasis tandem in our Toyota Tundra with truck bed extender and magnetic tail lights Boat worked effortlessly and Hobie has thought of almost everything

1)HOW is the best way to tie up -
2) the front end moved How do you tie the front end so it stays secure

Thanks
David
yellow jacket

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

YJ,

I slide my PA into an 8' Pick Up bed (I assume one can do the same with a 6' PU bed?) with the bow in the driver's side corner and the stern angled at the passenger's side bed rail. I place some padding between the PA's starboard side and the PU bed passenger side rail. I then simply tie off the PA stern handrail to the passenger side bumper corner (I happen to have a stainless steel eye bolt in each rear bumper corner originally intended for a PU camper rear tie down). That's it, PA doesn't even budge.

CBull

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

1 place PA on bed of truck
2 get yourself a ratchet tie down strap and run tail end of ratchet from bottom hook on truck bed
3 wrap strap around side handle of PA(just one wrap),
4 now wrap around other handle of PA(just one wrap),
5 run that tail end you just wrapped into ratchet which is hooked in other bed hook
6 ratchet away! until tight. Believe me, it holds very well. the one wrap around each handle is all you need, we call this a half hitch, and it keeps boat from sliding left and right when making turns.

finish off with safety flag,