Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

According to my dealer, I am getting a new hull.....just awaiting delivery. I love you Hobie, thanks :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The last 4 times I've been out I started noticing more and more water in my AI when I returned. I thought maybe my front hatch's seal was getting a little weak and figured that was where the water was coming in.

Today I took my niece and nephew out (on the tramps) a couple miles into the middle of Tampa bay and did a lot of pedaling as the wind was very light. When I finally got back after about 2 hours the hull was full of water. A LOT of water. It took a lot of effort to get it on the beach and empty the water out. Then I turned it over and sure enough similar cracks to what was seen in this thread. My 2007 model gets a fair amount of use and I do have turbo fins on it which I often pedal for the work out.

I'll contact my dealer tomorrow and see what they say. The adventure island is the best thing I've ever bought so regardless, I'm still a devout Hobie addict.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Put me in the cracked hull catagory.... :( In 6 months my 09 moss green Adventure drive well failed. Hobie has a new one on the way to my local dealer in Lake Havasu... :) . My 3-4 time a week yakin has been an adventure in durability testing. The plastic on the drum adjusting hole blew out first. The fix was new drums, removing the quick adjusters and through bolting with washers and wingnuts. Next has been breaking every mast I have bent. Cracking the hull similarly to the posted pictures is the latest. I have put on a set of the ST short fins and am anxious to see how the perform on my new
Adventure. I am able to sent water out of the top of the knot stick with ST Turbo fins... :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roaddog - Maybe you just have very strong legs :P just kidding.

On your drive well - does your boat have the older style cam locks or the newer style click-n-go for locking in the drive?

I believe the '09 should have newer click-n-go which, if so, is an interesting development. The cam lock mech. allows a bit more flexing while the c-n-g is rock solid.

Roadrunner did a test that showed moss green to be one of the hottest hulls when exposed to the sun. Just wondering if heat plays a role in the brass insert inside the plastic that reinforces the front of the drive well.

Having other Hobie's with cam locks, my Adventure with c-n-go is absolutely brilliant.
Would not surprise me if Hobie isn't already looking into additional methods of beefing up this area.

PS speaking of heat... isn't Lake Havasu in Arizona?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Whilst pedalling mine yesterday, it occurred to me that if you allow the pedals to go to the full extent of their travel so they bottom out, there is no apparent Bump stop to avoid putting the shock into the mounts in the hull. When I attempt to do a quick sprint, I am careful not to let the pedals bottom out. If you are really giving it some rice, (sounds as though you are) and the pedals do bottom out at full travel, I am not surprised it has cracked the hull or damaged the Mirage drive.

That's my 2 cents worth if it helps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I keep check'n my hull ( with cams ) after every outing but so far all is OK. I haven't yet had a good look at the new click in new system but can it be retrofitted to the older cam AI's ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Click-n-Go is not retrofit able. The hulls were changed to accommodate the new hardware.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This issue with the AI hull has my stomach turning. I just bought a demo 2009 AI from a dealer. Does anyone know what Hobie's hull policy for a used Kayak? I thought I've checked everything underneath but missed checking this weak spot. Any other weak areas I should check for before I pick it up?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Don't be too worried. The insidence of failure is and always has been very low. We just hear about them here because... this is where people post their problems. Makes it seem like a bigger deal than it is.

The warranty is for two years. If you bought a demo from a dealer, we usually consider that a new boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Don't be too worried. The insidence of failure is and always has been very low. We just hear about them here because... this is where people post there problems. Makes it seem like a bigger deal than it is.

The warranty is for two years. If you bought a demo from a dealer, we usually consider that a new boat.

Matt,
Thanks for the quick reply. Feel a little better now. Nice to know that it's transferable. I wonder why the sales rep did not tell me that? When does this warranty starts? Yesterday, when I bought it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

If purchased from a dealer... yes two years. If purchased from another consumer... yes, transferable and from the date of the original purchase.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

would a crack in the drivewell as seen in the first post/photo of this topic be repairable by plastic welding or are the stresses in that area such that the welds would simply give again under load?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

We don't recommend repair. We suggest you file a claim with a dealer. If it is a warrantable issue, depending on age, it may be replaced at no charge or replaced with a pro-rated cost.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have just discovered a deep gouge in the rear side of my drive well :shock:
I think it would have been caused on one of the times that the mirage drive dislodged itself and jammed.
It was certainly very difficult to release.
I opened the centre hatch and can't see a hole - but it must be mighty close because the gouge is relatively deep.
Is there some way I can repair this - bog it up :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey,
The plastic is generally about 4mm thick. It would be difficult to gouge it all the way through. :shock:
Do you think it is this deep?
Roadrunner has extensively tested adhesives and only recommends 3M Scotchweld DP8010 or a Loctite equivalent which isn't available here. I tried to get some 8010 for our BI trip but there was none in the country. :(
It should be available now. It is around $50 for the smallest tubes. You would need to contact 3M for a Vic distributor. Not many stock it. This was the only place I could find who do keep it on the shelf and they will post. Don't let them talk you into getting the applicator. It's not needed.
http://www.adept-industrial.com.au/cate ... =1&level=2
More info
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11245&hilit=dp+8010