Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Advice on DrySuits
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a Gill dry suit. Haven't used it yet, but was advised by the seller to make sure I burped the air out of it before going on the water. Apparently if you don't and go in headfirst, the air can go into the legs and could keep you head down in the water.
Don't know if this is true, but does make sense, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been using a Stohlquist bPOD-T that I purchased from Kayak Pro Shop. I've been quite satisfied with it in air temps down into the 40s and water temps into the 60s. This may not seem like much to some of you, but it's cold to this Texan. :)

The price was very reasonable as well, easily $100 less than marked on the Stohlquist site. I've been swimming in the suit and so far have not had any leaks or issues.

I feel this has made a good starter suit for a decent price. IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Timmain, Is $425 a good price for the bPOD?...Murrays is having a sale this week...$200 off their $625 price...

thanks,
Ron

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, that would be a good price. I paid $550 and have been quite satisfied.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info...do you think the fit should be a little snug or a little big?...thanks

CaptRon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ron34422 wrote:
Thanks for the info...do you think the fit should be a little snug or a little big?...thanks

Keep in mind that the dry suit itself provides no insulation. It'll keep you dry, but you still have to dress for the tempratures, both air & water. You can get insulated undergarments to designed to be worn under the suit, but I find that a good pair of long johns, jeans, thermal shirt & a sweat shirt usually does the job. I've sailed that way in 34 degree water temps, and similar air temps during the annual New Years Day Adventure Island Polar Bear Sail in Annapolis, MD. So, to answer your question, make sure you buy big enough to leave room for the clothes you'll be wearing inside the suit. Of course, once you're properly equipped, your sailing season can run until the ice is too thick to sail through.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Jim L...very helpful information...

Ron

CaptRon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ron34422 wrote:

Def a little big. I purposefully got mine in large even tho I just barely qualified for that size range. Good thing too... I use all of my (admittedly Texas-oriented) cold-weather gear underneath and do pretty well.

My only issue is that, nominally, a kayak drysuit is to keep you dry while you are working hard to propel the kayak. Since I am on a sailboat, I'm not exercising as much so I have to rely on my undergear to keep me warm rather than physical exertion. My lower back gets a little cold sometimes if it gets below 50 degrees, but that is something that could be easily fixed with thicker gear.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:08 pm 
KEEP THE AIR IN YOUR SUIT SO YOU WILL FLOAT. IF YOU GO IN HEAD 1ST AND THE AIR GOES TO YOUR FEET SIMPLY ROLL INTO A BALL FOR A MOMENT AND ROLL UPRIGHT AND PUSH YOUR FET DOWN. THE AIR WILL GO UP TO YOUR SHOULDERS AND YOU WILL FLOAT JUST FINE.
MAX.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Max, Howdy from Jackson Hole, where lakes are frozen 2 feet deep!
Thanks for the warning that going in head first wearing a dry suit may bring air to your feet you'll float head downthe solution to reverse this (SIMPLY ROLL INTO A BALL FOR A MOMENT AND ROLL UPRIGHT AND PUSH YOUR FEET DOWN. THE AIR WILL GO UP TO YOUR SHOULDERS AND YOU WILL FLOAT JUST FINE) is an ingenious solution to a danger I didn't know existed. Can't wait to have the weather to practice this.
Happy Trails!
Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I purchased the Kokatat SuperNova Angler (extra denier panels for fishing and water SOT re-entry, snag on something). It is the bomb here in the Florida Panhandle. I spoke with the company about sizing and they were right on the money with the recommendations. I normally would have bought in Med as I am 5'8" at 170lbs a lil big in the chest and shoulders from weight lifting. They told me to get the Large so as to account for the layering. After fully layering up with 3 layers socks, 1 is wicking polypro, next is thicker Polypro then last is 100% wool, thick, military dive sock (I have size 8 feet and now use a size 12 dive boot after socks/suit), UnderArmour on skin, then polypro and then fleece outer shell and it is a manuver to get in the angled zipper over shoulders. The whole thing is a baggy without the layering but just right after. I can now go on the worst days and laugh at the cold that keeps others in front of the fireplace. Just recently we had a cold snap and I went in my neighbors pool drank a coke with ice,,,he flipped!!! AND REMEMBER,,, NO COTTON GARMENTS OF ANY BLEND!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Timmain wrote:
I've been using a Stohlquist bPOD-T that I purchased from Kayak Pro Shop. I've been quite satisfied with it in air temps down into the 40s and water temps into the 60s. This may not seem like much to some of you, but it's cold to this Texan. :)

The price was very reasonable as well, easily $100 less than marked on the Stohlquist site. I've been swimming in the suit and so far have not had any leaks or issues.

I feel this has made a good starter suit for a decent price. IMO.

Timmain - I have the same drysuit and it's great - except the neck gasket is too tight & needs trimming. Did you need to trim yours and if so how did you do it?? The normal method doesn't appear to be suitable as the collar is doubled over and stitched or taped down. Maybe I have to unstitch it first :roll: I haven't been able to get any advice from their technical dept other than the usual instructions for trimming an unfolded gasket :?

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmm - talking to myself only - it looks like I'll have to try the stretch with pot/round tin as I have examined the latex gasket and it is not possible to fix it any other way. I'll let you know the result in a few days :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mickey,
I have the same dry suit and had to trim the neck way down to get it comfortable...it's fine for sailing and getting splashed...it probably would not be completely water tight if you go under ...trim it in a circular manner until it feels right for you...I tried stretching with a pot and didn't seem to help much

Ron

CaptRon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ron34422 wrote:
Mickey,
I have the same dry suit and had to trim the neck way down to get it comfortable...it's fine for sailing and getting splashed...it probably would not be completely water tight if you go under ...trim it in a circular manner until it feels right for you...I tried stretching with a pot and didn't seem to help much

Ron

Thanks Ron. I agree - it really doesn't matter if it's not water tight at the neck - but I just hate the thought of attacking it unless I really have to. In the end though, my comfort will take priority :wink:
I'm just treading gently at this stage...........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next