Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone tried this?...I like to lean back in the seat a bit when I pedal and I was getting tired of reaching to use the tiller control so I relocated it to the left side of the seat...push forward and the boat turns to the right...pull back and the boat turns to the left...very simple to relocate and I like it much better...easier to reach...more leverage...tension adjustment knob is easier to move...so far so good....

http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww30 ... %20Angler/

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"

Last edited by ron34422 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice! is the steering control permanantly fix to the seat? Im having alittle steering problem myself it feels stiff,seem like im using too much effert any suggestion thx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would love to see photos of the step by step installation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

is that a hobie option or your own idea?it's not in your way there?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bobsdream, no it's not a Hobie option...my own idea...it's not in my way at all...I took the little swivel knob off the top so my leg would not touch the control but I think I could put it back on because there seems to be plenty of room to pedal without hitting it

Why1504, when I get time I'll take it back off and photo step it...it was really simple...remove the two screws that hold the control to the seat and lift it out...slip the control out of the mounting bracket by pushing on the metal piece and sliding it out...on the back of the bracket I removed two little plastic pieces with a dremel tool or you could use a sharp razor knife...that allowed the bracket to mount to the seat flatter...positioned it at the angle that I wanted and drilled two small holes through the bracket and seat (I removed the seat to do this)...used the same screws and nuts that held it in place before...removed the little swivel knob on the control so it would not interfere with my leg while pedaling...mount your seat back on the boat and slide the control back on the bracket until it clicks in...and you're done...works great and no stretching for the rudder control!

I'll try to take some photos soon

Ron

CaptRon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
I'll try to take some photos soon

That would be great. I was just thinking of moving the control somewhere else after I moved it to the right side since I'm left handed. I haven't gotten past the "thinking stage" yet.

Add me to the list of those anxiously awating.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TinGram, I took some photos and did a step by step for you and anyone else that might be interested...let me know if you have any questions...

http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww30 ... %20Angler/

Ron

CaptRon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

AWESOME POST...JUST WHAT I NEEDED!!!
HOBIE NEEDS TO MAKE THIS A BUILD IN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thaistick........Im having alittle steering problem myself it feels stiff,seem like im using too much effert any suggestion thx..... You need to take the handle out of it's clip and investigate how that whole system works. Read the book about how to adjust it. Temperature, possibly load on the boat or hull shape due to loading can effect the way the controls are feeling. The little thumb wheel is for making adjustments. Basically it rolls the rudder string around the post making it tighter or unwinds it, making it feel looser. Try to find a happy medium and it'll be fine. If you move from one "click type bracket" to the other side or out a different direction as they do allow for that.... you'll find that adjustment might have to be made again. Including untying the strings and adjusting the rudder if you're selected position changes the routing of the cable sheath too much. You should be able to get it adjusted at home so that a slight twist or so in one direction or the other with the thumb wheel makes all the change you need for smooth operation. Tighten it too much and it'll bind terribly... loosen it too much and the rudder will flop around too much. Another thing to consider is to route the cable sheath topside to be as smooth a transition as possible from the rudder lever to where it enters the hull. Only makes sense. If you have a huge loop or curve to it, it's possible to add to the friction 'feel'.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi ron34422,
You've done this handle relocation and I presume you have used it for a while now. I think you've done a great job and I'd like to know if you've come across any problems with this relocation setup or if there's anything you'd do different. Has anybody else done this to their PA? Can the bracket corner be bought aftermarket if it doesn't work properly or you decide to change it back? Thanks for the idea.
Cheers Darren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fishnuts,
The only downside to the relocation that I had was catching the leg of my shorts when I was getting out of the Yak one time...it does stick up a bit but for me it worked well...actually I did change it back when I sold my PA (I bought an Adventure Island)...the only difference is two small holes in the seat left over...you can fill them or just leave it...I did the mod because I was constantly adjusting the rudder to keep a straight course and the upright position made it much easier...I think Hobie is replacing the steering quadrant to fix that problem...

Ron

CaptRon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Ron,
I've just got the new steering cam and I was having the same problem as everyone else in keeping it tracking properly, that's why I thought your idea was so good. I've done the cam install and will try it out first but the other reason I like the relocation is my flyline keeps getting down between the handle and the seat then when you adjust the steering it jambs if you don't notice it. Very frustrating when you are trying to put the fly across a snag. I'll see how it goes but I still think I'll try your idea aswell. The seat corners are interchangeable too I noticed. Thanks for your feedback.
Cheers Darren