Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm about to purchase an AI and the single Trailex trailer with the AI cradle set. I don't see a place to strap the sail on the trailer in the catalog. Where do you carry your sail if you use this trailer?
I drive a Subaru Outback. It looks like it will be have to be strapped to the roof racks or sticking out the rear hatch. Just curious what others are doing. I searched the forum but couldn't find this topic, probably because it's a stupid question.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fletch wrote:

I'm about to purchase an AI and the single Trailex trailer with the AI cradle set. I don't see a place to strap the sail on the trailer in the catalog. Where do you carry your sail if you use this trailer?
I drive a Subaru Outback. It looks like it will be have to be strapped to the roof racks or sticking out the rear hatch. Just curious what others are doing. I searched the forum but couldn't find this topic, probably because it's a stupid question.

Hi Fletch,

First off, welcome aboard! You're going to have a great time with the AI. They're an awesome boat. Where to lash down the mast is pretty easy, just lash it to anything that's convenient. Anything sturdy enough to tie it to is sufficient, such as the aka crossbars. You don't need a "special mast bracket" or anything like that.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fletch,

The sail fits nicely into a 4" pvc pipe. The sail assembly costs about $800 to replace and this keeps it safe. Also, wrapping rope or bungees tightly around the sail might leave a crease which could someday start to tear. I put threaded fittings and plugs on the ends of the pipe. Most of the time, when it is on my truck, it is 10' long. Going sailing, I screw on another 6' section which holds the whole mast. I've also strapped one section across the akas and kept fishing rods in it.

baysailor