Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine Brackets
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone succesfully mounted a bracket on the rear beam for use with a short shaft engine? any pic would be great. and what horse power / weight have you put on them.?

Post subject: Re: Engine Brackets
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The motor makes sailing so much more enjoyable for the trailer sailer. I can get in and out of the busy boat ramps and get to sailing without having to go to land to raise sails and rig the boat.

Here is a homemade motor mount that works great. It is made out of extra Trailex aluminum trailer stock. It is not adjustable and lets me know when I have too much weight back on the boat....When I get motivated to modify it I will raise it approximately 1-2 inches and will also angle up about 5 degrees which should keep it from dragging on waves when I have 5-6 adults on board. Let me know if you need additional information about it and I will measure or take different pictures. The Honda 2HP 4 stroke is the lightest 4 stroke on the market and works great, but I do think it has a tough time pushing the boat in winds over 25 MPH.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

UK Sails
the motor bracket topic was pretty broken down in previous post on page two
I have a factory Cheatta (spell wrong) motor bracket with a 1988 3 hp Merc short shaft at about 28 lbs sure beats a paddle any day. The motor has gone under the water many times with the motor running The motor has been to the shop once since 1988

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

spesce, your boat looks exactly like mine. Literally every detail, other than the canvas & sheet colors & hull decals, and mine had the Cheata mount on it. Even my trailer is exactly like yours, including colors.

Well, now that mine is cleaned up. I'm hoping this week to finish putting her all back together and getting some updated photos online.

Penetrol, wiped on about medium heavy, and then completely wiped off will make your black metal look great, it'll also bead water. Just make sure you wipe it off very thoroughly as it will dry fairly thickly and glossy in splotches if you don't. Luckily I'd read that online before I cleaned mine and it came out great.

I used aluminum wheel cleaner (acid) on my trailer with superb results. Now I'm going to replace the sliding bolts/nuts, springs and update the lighting.

Are you using one of the mast stepping systems from Hobie? If so, which one, and do you like it?

Anyway, I've never had my 21SE on the water. We're still replacing sails and sheets, so your videos on youtube are helping to fuel our excitement :)

Thanks for making them. The photos I have so far are on flickr. Just search for Hobie Cat 21SE and they come right up.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
spesce, your boat looks exactly like mine. Literally every detail, other than the canvas & sheet colors & hull decals, and mine had the Cheata mount on it. Even my trailer is exactly like yours, including colors.

If I remember correctly, your boat is #030 and mine is #031 and therefore identical.

Someone on this forum turned me onto the Penetrol and this made all my black anodized aluminum look new. The pictures that I posted for the motor mount were before I wiped down the aluminum.

Quote:
I used aluminum wheel cleaner (acid) on my trailer with superb results. Now I'm going to replace the sliding bolts/nuts, springs and update the lighting.

I replaced the wiring, marker lights and springs w/ shackles on my trailer. I was going to replace the rusted slider bolts, but thought that this would be more of a PITA than anything else.

Quote:
Are you using one of the mast stepping systems from Hobie? If so, which one, and do you like it?

If you read through the older 21SE topics I describe my mast raising experiences. hairy scary!!! I think 3 people is the best alternative even though I have done it with 2. I think I have it down to a science and I feel comfortable trailer sailing. My son and I can be in the water in 40 minutes. Packing down is a ratio to how tired we are but can be down in about 30-40 minutes, but I have to clean out and dry things when I get home.

I went to go sailing this weekend for the first time in 3 months due to soccer season. It was supposed to be a 5-15 mph day and when I got to the lake it was 20-30 and gusty. We decided to not sail the 21SE and we jumped on a NACRA 5.8 with 3. We were literally flying and jumping 4-6 waves. Exciting stuff!!! I should have been on a windsurfer but we were smoking the windsurfers and kiteboarders! We snapped a daggerboard there was so much pressure. Awesome times :twisted:

Email me your phone number and we can talk. Let me know if you need additional pictures. spesce at pacland dot com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the 2 hp Honda also on a welded on Cheata bracket. Excellent motor, but don't pull real hard on the start rope. Had to replace my rope assembly once from overzealous yanks on the cord.
The motor is not salt water design. My carb drain screw rusted out. Minor but annoying.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
I have a factory Cheatta (spell wrong) motor bracket with a 1988 3 hp Merc short shaft at about 28 lbs sure beats a paddle any day. The motor has gone under the water many times with the motor running The motor has been to the shop once since 1988
Quote:

Thanks Gary, What is a factory Cheatta bracket. Is that a Hobie Part ?

Thanks everyone for your replies

UKSail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gary thanks again, i went a found the previous post and had a good read from start to finish. I am a lot clearer now. Nice preople

UKSail

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Spesce

Your motor mount looks great. if you can send me anyplans that you may have and or more photos i would be greatful. I would like to build one just like it.

UKSail

And a Merry Christmas to you all. Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this fantastic boat, I haven't even sailed it yet but i cant wait, the weather is -3 over here at the moment but we have got everything together now and will launch as soon after new year as possible, drysuits and all. i want to bring the boat to the states for The Cuba Run in November if they let us in and also try and do the Texal Race in Europe which is a nice 90 mile tester before the adventures across the pond.

Merry christmas and a happy new year and happy blasting !