Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi!

I purchased a 1983 H16 this week after lurking here and getting tips
on what to look for. The hulls are great, no delams just some light wear
on the bottoms. The clothesline halyards and tramp lacing cracked me
though! I need to do trailer work this fall first then save up for the
upgrades this spring. What I'd like to find somewhere is a list of what
all the rivet sizes are. What is the recommended drill size to takeh the heads
off? I'm asking because I need to seal the mast.
Anyone else here from Vermont?

Brian

Post subject: H16 and Rivet repairs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most Hobie Rivets are made out of a proprietary stainless steel (Monel), which lasts and lasts and does not rust. Drill out AT SLOW SPEED, with a cobalt or similar drill bit, likely 1/32 smaller than the rivet size. Try 5/32nds, or even 1/8th.

A regular hand riveter usually won't work when re-installing, you may need to rent or borrow an air powered gun. Check the Hobie Forum (parts) for rivet sizes, mostly they are 3/16th. The Hobie book says #8010131 (for the base and head) is RIVET 6-6 PN HD MONEL

Happy fixing and good winds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know nothing about the rivetting, but I am a Vermonter, who's stuck in Boston.
I've got a Hobie 14 down on the cape, but I'll hopefully get a trailer at some point, as I would love to get on Lake Champlain with the boat.
My parents still live in Shelburne, so I'm up there from time to time. Maybe I'll see you out there sometime on our "Great Lake for a day."

'7? Hobie 14

Post subject: H16
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies. As I was dissassembling the boat, I realized that changing all the standing rigging and traps would be a good idea. I'm going to get the OEM stuff for this but I think I'm going to try the Murray's "key-hole" system for the harness. Anyone here got an opinon on which style works best for a recreational sailor?

Adam, how often do you get up here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Brian,
I'm typically up there at least once a month. A lot more in the near future as I'm looking at a house in Waitsfield.

Are you in the Burlington area?

'7? Hobie 14

Post subject: Vermont
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in Vergennes and work in Burlingistan. Looks like the boat won't be ready till next year though, needs a total refit to be seaworthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Harryhood, I sail my H16 outta South Hero - Mallet's Bay, through the cut into the main lake. Lemme know if you're around these parts and perhaps can chase each other 'round the lake sometime.
Ron :D

Post subject: key hole trap
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Brian

I used a system for a long time which was very similar to the Murray’s key hole system, it used different materials but had the same concept, and I really liked it. Unfortunately one of the balls broke off the trap line and because I have lots of extra parts I’ve been using the good old hook and ring. Again it looks like the Murray’s system is made of different materials which probably would not fail the same way that mine did. I did find a really good use for the one trap ball which was still in tact combined with the trap seat key hole; it combined with some nylon webbing holds our hot tub cover up when were in it, makes a pretty simple and easy system there.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rzelt wrote:
Hey Harryhood, I sail my H16 outta South Hero - Mallet's Bay, through the cut into the main lake. Lemme know if you're around these parts and perhaps can chase each other 'round the lake sometime.
Ron :D

Hi Ron,

I'd like to take a look at your cat sometime, to see how the rigging is supposed to be done. the PDF of the manual sucks, too dark. Do you have a crew or are you solo? I kept my 24' S2 in Malletts Bay until I couldn't take the traffic anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Harry,

Anytime Harry. I usually sail solo and, since purchasing my H16 5 years ago, have upgraded it every year. Usually just sail the 15-20 knt days trapped out pushing the boat as fast as it will go. There's lots of upgrades, ideas, etc that you can do to your H16 depending upon you needs/wants, etc.
My boat is up here in Montreal at the moment where I sail Lac St Louis. Not sure if I'll be down to sail L Champ again this summer but will be happy to return mails and pass on any ideas you want/need to enjoy your H16 - a great big wind boat that handles the L Champ southwind waves without a problem. I'll take you across the lake and back on a screaming beam reach next summer and you'll be hooked for life!!! :D If you're not used to screaming with your H16, it might help to join me one day - speed up the learning curve, etc.
And traffic will no longer be a problem with your H16 - you're usually one of the fastest boats on the lake. After 5 years of sailing L Champ I can say the seeing other cats is uncommon and I don't know why - great lake to sail - deep, no weeds, and the south winds are steady and wild!!!
Have a great sailing summer
Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ron,

Send me a email at [email protected]. We should take this
off-list as there is no PM here :roll:

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to live on the North Shore of Boston and would make a yearly pilgramage to L Champ for about 7-10 days. I would camp and sail out of North Beach. I always timed the trip to coincide with Burlington's Chew Chew festival. For the past 5 years I have only once seen another cat on the lake. I agree, it's too bad. What a great place to sail! All the wind of the ocean and the waves are smaller! I have sailed across the lake (east-west) on one tack trapped out the whole time. Not many places allow for that.

You will have a blast up there. Enjoy!

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Re: H16
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

harryhood wrote:
Thanks for the replies. As I was dissassembling the boat, I realized that changing all the standing rigging and traps would be a good idea. I'm going to get the OEM stuff for this but I think I'm going to try the Murray's "key-hole" system for the harness. Anyone here got an opinon on which style works best for a recreational sailor?

Adam, how often do you get up here?

I have the keyhole system and I really enjoy it. :)

Jim