All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pics of Moreton Bay
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is my first attempt to upload:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyRBRq1E4CM

I think

for some reason it won't cut and paste.

Video is a bit chunky on you tube on my PC either because it was filmed in HD or because my PC is an Asus.

Probably the latter

the footage was filmed in 15 knots with seas to .9 of a meter (according to the weather folk)

speeds of around 7 knots but the Lowrance died of condensation and I was without it for most of the day

Post subject: Re: pics of Moreton Bay
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Yep... either your connection or your PC. Played instantly for me! Nice footage. Thanks for sharing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great video!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like a fun day out.
Pity about the GPS dying. Did it come good after drying out?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

GPS should be good next time out after a drying out

it doesn't like clouds much either!?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like I was a little overoptimistic with the Lowrance. It didn't recover. Actually it seems to have a better permanent water source than most Queensland towns. Not just condensation but the odd drop as well and it no longer acquires satellites - it wasn't the clouds blocking the satellites! I'll confess the worst decision I made when buying the AI was to buy the navigation pack. I worked on the assumption that Hobie would have the right units for the job but I was very wrong. Overpriced and outdated would be a good description. Not much good to say about a waterproof GPS that lasts two months.

The stupid thing from Hobie's (and their dealer's) perspective is that I was about to buy a colour sounder from the dealer but given the GPS experience have put it on hold. Not sure I shouldn't just pay half price on the Internet.

The only positive is that the GPS provided a camera mount when my home made experiment disappeared over the side. Hopefully some more video later.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have stack of video from the last couple of days but am having an uploading problem. Hopefully soon

In the meantime I finally became a real AI sailor today as the rudder pin broke!

I steered back in using the paddle.

I've taken to sailing without the drive and just keeping it in the back for emergencies. I didn't think it made much difference when I first tried but I'm now sure it's a better sail without the drive in and a lot more space too. No trouble tacking if you just back the main if you get stuck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your GPS failure does seem like a near record for short life; however, it is my finding and observation that Garmin "waterproof" gps units only survive 1-2 yrs if unprotected while using in/around salt water. I have a Garmin 76 and Garmin Etrex Legend which are going on 5 yrs--both have been protected by a dry bag of some sort during that period. My favorite dry bag, and the one I currently use, is made by AquaPac.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

luckily no trouble having the dealer replace the Lowrance. I think the dry bag is a great idea. I'm sure the GPS etc was arranged for the yaks without sails and the amount of water under sail is very different. The camera I am now using is a Panasonic which is submersible therefore very waterproof and after every sail I have to immerse it for 10 minutes in fresh water. Putting a perfectly good camera into a bucket of water is seriously against every instinct.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Chekika

Can you tell me which model Aquapac you are using?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

finally got another video to upload

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XtHqpnVTTo

hopefully this will work although I did get error messages when it uploaded (aaaaaaHHHHHHHHHH)

this was shot in about 10 knots of wind in the open waters of Moreton Bay. I was trying to get a feel for the swell which was over a metre and breaking

the boat was sailing itself while I shot this and not doing a bad job!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Video seemed to work ok.

Have you done any longer trips yet? Moreton Island maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was halfway to Straddie when I turned around the day the video was shot but I'd wasted a bit of time before setting out.

I had planned to do Straddie today but the 15 - 20 knot forecast turned out to be wrong - about 5 knots - so I just hung around inside.

Wednesday is forecast for stronger winds so Stradbroke's the plan. I think I have to try and stay within 2nm of land to avoid having to have an EPIRB. They've been $800 so haven't been top of my list. I saw one today at Whitworths for $399 but as its not essential most of the time I'd rather work around it. I do have the Shark Shield which is absolutely essential in the bay IMHO. They were tracking a great white off Stradbroke last week so I like the security.

The best bet for Moreton is either over to Stradbroke and a trip up from there or put it in at Bribie Island and head across. That puts me in the shipping lanes so not ideal.

I can also make it an overnighter and do Peel, then Stradbroke then Moreton.

I'm spoiled for choice.

Perhaps Moreton Bay would be a good venue for the first Australian AI Rally (since we couldn't get the A1 cars here).