Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wish to pull a hobie getaway sideways in very shallow water next to the shore and haul one hull up so that
I can clean it at regular intervals. I must store the hobie in the water. I have a 4 wheeler availabe for pulling it
over so power is not an issue. Where and how is it best to pull on the mast to accomplish this. I currently do this with
a sunfish and if done every 10 days or so have no problem with buildup on the hull, in salt water..

thank you
Don

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ive done it a couple of times, the best way for me is to use a similar process of raising the mast, first hook the metal lock part of main sail line to the the cleat a the bottom of the mast. Now on the the free side of the main sail line attach an extra rope on it to make it longer, around 20 feet, Now its best to have a friend at this point to help. make sure the boat is were you want and start pulling form the side to the top of the mast ,it's all about leverage at this point make sure you or your friend at some point grabs a hold of the mast and then walks it to the ground, also I like to use use a saw horse to rest the mast on when the cat is sideways this prevents your bob from getting damaged. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

XxTrashxX
Does your Hobie have the wings on it? If so when the mast is on the sawhourse do the wings contact the ground.
Thanks
Don

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ya sorry about that I forgot about the wings , I removed the wings one the side that will be on the bottom ,It is fairly easy to remove so I never took the chance of putting extra weight on the wing, why take the chance of damage, also depending on the type of sand you have lay a couple of old life jackets over the side of the bottom haul
this will save the graphics and finish on the haul. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've always stayed clear of storing the boat in the water though that would be more convenient. Have you had any unusual wear on the rigging or otherwise as a result?