Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have noticed that the dolly that came as part of the outback fishing option is impacting the boat.
It would appear that the engineer folks at Hobie diddn't take into consideration that the hull is rounded and the dolly support is flat.
The hull thus is being crushed between the post holes. I have already stopped using this dolly, but I will be interested in what Hobie and the warranty folks have to say.
The hull is depressed by over an inch.
I don't think this is what Hobie had in mind.
Check your boats.
Any thoughts,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I bought my Outback I upgraded to a cart that has pneumatic tires and features an encircling foam pad on the cross bar. Didn't notice if the standard cart included any kind of padding. I didn't like the looks of the flimsy wheels on the standard offering and the dealer's demo cart already had a broken wheel. If your cart has no padding You should consider adding some. Pipe insulating foam or a length of foam pool noodle should work.

So far I've had no problems as you described.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave-I put some foam on my kayak dolly where it contacts the hull. Click on the link below and check out some of the photos. They might give you some ideas.

http://www.photosupportsystems.com/Hobi ... kDolly.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ronbo... Great job on the kayak dolly! And 90% corrosion free to boot! Just don't forget to wash down the wheels and axle after use.

I noticed the disparaging remarks on another site regarding the possibility of damaging the scupper tubes from using a thru-hole dolly. I've deducted over time that the person who posted that remark is extremely opiniated in general but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the issue. Do you suppose the people at Hobie hadn't considered it? I guess time will tell but since Hobie uses that approach on the dollys they include with their kayaks they will undoubtedly stand by their product if a problem does arise.

On a different front, when are you going to post more kayak videos? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've used the stock Hobie dollies, they are OK for most situations, I just needed a little beefier model. A little foam on the stock dolly should fix the hull damage problem.
Keep in mind that sit-on-top kayaking is a relatively new sport. Some other kayak companies, who have manufactured sit inside kayaks for a long time may have had the initial lead in SOT kayak design, but I believe Hobie's experience with high performance watercraft like their catamarans and their ocean background will give them a good run at it. I think that Hobie engineers are eager for feedback from current kayak users because they know that will help them advance the kayak designs more quickly. Like surfboards and boats, product design is an ongoing process; there is a start, but never a finish, to the quest for the perfect watercraft.
As far as the videos, the weather has been really overcast this year and the red tide has put a damper on things. On top of that, in case you haven't noticed, we are having the worst inshore fishing season here in SD since 1993. Anyhoo, the kayak video rigs are ready to go, I'll be doing a lot of shooting in September and October. Hopefully, I can hook up with some other kayakers; it's way easier to get footage of other people. I'll probably be making appeals for potential kayak stars soon. Also, by the end of this Labor Day weekend, I should have my EOS 20D digitial camera setup ready to go as well. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

daveholland wrote:
I have noticed that the dolly that came as part of the outback fishing option is impacting the boat.
It would appear that the engineer folks at Hobie diddn't take into consideration that the hull is rounded and the dolly support is flat.
The hull thus is being crushed between the post holes. I have already stopped using this dolly, but I will be interested in what Hobie and the warranty folks have to say.
The hull is depressed by over an inch.
I don't think this is what Hobie had in mind.
Check your boats.
Any thoughts,
Dave

If you go the this link, http://www.geocities.com/questmodshop/ you will see how these folks say you can build two different style carts. For the one that uses the scupper holes, they suggest using extra long posts, so the ends don't rub on the inside of the scuppers. For the one that straps on, they suggest using pipe insulation to protect the bottom of the yak. I feel it's best, as mentioned by Noalias, to use the insulation on either model. Also as Noalias mentioned, they say to use pneumatic tires.
Hope this helps.