Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i am 14, and a member of my high schools sailing team, and i really enjoy sailing. we sail 420's and in 2 weeks, i taught myself to skipper. on occasions we take out sunfish and other small cats.. and i really like sailing them. i would like to buy a sailboat.. and i would really like a small cat. i live on the water in Florida..so storage wouldn't be a problem. any suggestion would be appreciative!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:31 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Florida's a pretty big state, Ben - where exactly are you?

You really can't go wrong with a Wave - they're indestructible and there's a bit of a racing circuit in Florida. The only problem you might have is with cost - Waves hold their value pretty well and finding a good used one is going to take some legwork.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ben,

I'm located down in Palm Beach County and spent quite a bit of time looking for a good single handed cat. problem is most cats in Florida are left out in the sun, either on the beach or lakeside, and get burned out. I was looking at Hobie 14s and Waves. The 14's are older and almost all of the ones I looked at had soft spots or the sails and rigging needed to be replaced. The Waves didn't have the soft spot issue, but you really have to be careful with a used Wave. All the ones I looked at that were a "good deal" were used as beach rentals. The tramps and sails had to be replaced. The big problem were the hulls, these boats were dragged up and down the beach and develop stress cracks right around where the front cross member meets the hulls. Yes the Wave is almost indestructible, but not when abused.

While looking, I did pick up a used Bravo just to have something to sail. Its a fun little boat for a lake, wouldn't want to take it out in open water, Atlantic or the Gulf. I did see some Waves in really good condition, but they weren't that much less than a new one, and were sold real fast.

Remember every used boat will need something replaced, so get a good idea of what used parts cost so you can determine what the boat will really cost you to get it ready to sail.

I finally purchased a new Wave, because I got tired of looking and the cost of replacement parts on a used one always brought the boat up to the same price.

Since I did mention the Bravo I have to add this, since getting the Wave, I haven't used the Bravo.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Charlie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ben,
I am 17 years old and iwas recently in your situation. I chose the H16. It's a great boat that gives you a lot of room to grow on. If not i would go with the hobie 14. Even if you get an older boat like i did there are so many parts out ther for the H16 and H16 which makes it easier and cheeper in the long run. I read about the soft spots you had found and i say SAY AWAY there like cancer, all they do is get bigger over time. Lastly look around a lot, there are alot of boats out there you'll find the perfect deal like I did. Also look at the trailer, people overlook that aspect of there boat. Do you know how to check the year? Good luck with your search, I no how your feeling. Any question please ask.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in Fort Walton Beach, and recently just became a member of the Yacht Club, so i'm in no rush to buy a boat, since I can just go down there and check out a boat. I recently sailed a "sunfish" and I really enjoyed it...Any information regarding price and strength?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got a text from one of my friends saying he will sell me his Hobie 16 for $1000. is has 2 sails, 2 tramps, and extra line, with no soft spots....but it needs a "couple of parts that aren't expensive"....would that be a good deal?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

BenBurkett wrote:
I just got a text from one of my friends saying he will sell me his Hobie 16 for $1000. is has 2 sails, 2 tramps, and extra line, with no soft spots....but it needs a "couple of parts that aren't expensive"....would that be a good deal?

ou need to look at what parts they are and look them up yourself. If there really "not that expensive" then i would go look at the boat. The sails should be crisp or stiff and check the year of the boat. But 1000$ is a good price if it's what he says it is. Just hake sure about the sails because that what is going to be the most expensive. Also does it have a trailer?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It is an '82, and yes, it comes with a trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ben,

To me a "deal" has to pass 2 tests. The first is the price of the item when compared to the value of the item. The second is it something I want, if it doesn't satisfy what I'm looking for, the price doesn't matter.

You mentioned you took sailing lessons and joined a yacht club. I would find someone that knows what to look for when buying a used sailboat and see if they will take a look at it with you. Sails were mentioned, take a good look at the stitching, if they are blown out or if there are worn spots. They are expensive to replace. I'd also check the rigging (will probably have to be replaced), the frame for stress cracks and the main sheet blocks. If they are original the bearings are most likely worn and can jam the blocks. One thing you don't want to happen.

As for satisfying what you're looking for, there is a big difference between a sunfish and an H16. Really take a look at how you will be sailing and what you're looking for. Will you be sailing single handed most of the time? If so you have to invest in a righting system because there is little chance you're going to right an H16 by yourself, and you will flip it. This is one of the reasons I limited my boat to an H14 or Wave, everybody flips them, no shame in that. If you don't you're not pushing it.

Also where are you going to sail it. If its mostly off the Beach on the Gulf (I'm jealous) then I don't think a sunfish is going to cut it for to long. What kinds of boats can you check out from the club? Try a few to narrow down your thinking.

Well that's my $.02, good luck with the decision.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Charlie,

I mostly check out 's at the Yacht Club, but on occasions I do check out a Wave. I really enjoy sailing the Waves, but because of their pricing, I cant really be looking for one. And most of the time I will most likely be sailing by myself, or with someone who has no sailing experience (unless it is a regatta), so thats why I am looking for a small cat. And thanks for the advice on taking an experienced sailer with me to check out the boat....I never even thought of that!

Anything else you could add would be appreciated!

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ben,
A righting system was mentioned, if you get a 16 this is a must. Like I said I am 17 and I weigh 180 and i have to have one. A righting bag is only about 30$ and add 160 lb's when righting. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is making sure the mast is strait and that the rudder casting are in good working order. Also look for rub marks on the bottom of the hulls, if there down to the fiberglass this could cause big problems later down the road. My boat is an 88 that i just bought a month ago an older boat you need to look at what is wrong or needs replacing and what it is going to cost. The main sheet blaocks are 450$ for the set so make sure there in good working order. What color is the boat? Oxidation is another thing. I got luck and all i had to do was power wax and buff. Rope is not that expensive so i wouldn't worrie about that aspect. But good luck if you have any questions you can text me 3364162102

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

here is a post i thought you could look at http://keys.craigslist.org/boa/1482270079.html it's a hobie 14 turbo so it has a jib and a main sail

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the advice, here is a picture of the boat (kind of a bad one, but one none the less). Tell me what you think.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7 ... 0179857567

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac18 ... t=sail.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the hull has been patched on the left side right below the forward corner. It the pach has been done right it shouldn't make a difference over from what i can see the sails don't look like they have any holes in them or patches. the mast is not original it is newer which is a good thing. but if you go to look at it check all over the hull, the rudder castings and the hardwear that is mounted on the boat.