Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 vs. 18
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

iam looking to buy eather a newer hobie 16 or an 1984 18 with wing seats i have heard about the faulty 18 made in the later 80s. is this one year i should be concerned about. also i sail more less on the ocean but sometimes inland where there are sand bars and with the 18 dagger boards i was wondering would this be a big problem? also im perfect conditions with the same skilled sailor could a 16 beat an 18?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
is this one year i should be concerned about.
Yes, it is. If you look back at some older 18 posts you'll find various with this "best/avoidable" year discussion.

Quote:
with the 18 dagger boards i was wondering would this be a big problem?
No, not anymore than it will be on an ocean when beaching, you need to be aware of water depths and when in doubt pull them up. There is a bungee system that puts forward pressure on the daggerboards to hold them in about any depth position you choose.

Quote:
with the same skilled sailor could a 16 beat an 18?
Unequivicably, No :D You releaize you asked this question on the 18 page of 18 sailors. Seriously, the 18 is about 3 to 4 mph faster than a 16.

Looking at any older Hobie check the hulls for soft spots buy pressing in on decks and sides with both palms, the 16 in particular in front of the crossbar on the deck, the '83 thru '88 18 all around the front crossbar. There are older boats in good shape out there, and more that need work.

If I were really intrigued by the wings (which are extremely comfortable) but had the money for a newer boat I'd look for an '89 or newer 18 and look for the Wings in the classifieds. I'm not trying to talk you out of the '84 Magnum, but read some more on the hull reinforcement issue and look this boat over thouroughly.
Hey, the 16 is a nice boat too, but the 18 is a Mercedes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are going to do most of your sailing in the ocean, I woudl go for the 18. I started on a 16 and after taking a ride on the 18 I had to upgrade. The 18 handles the swells much better (in my opinon) and is less likely to pitch pole on those swells.

FYI, in '84 they added the Magnum wings without reinforcing the hulls for the added stress. That is one reason why that is year to avoid. I have an '81 without the wings and it is rock solid.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: H-18
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a newer 16 an traded for a H-18. Better ride and handles the waves better. Never pitched the 18. Added a spinnaker two years ago and just bought wings (not installed yet). You can strenghten a older 18 but it is a big job and expensive. Try for a newer 18.

PS, My bottoms are in need of repair and sails are old so I get beat by the newer H-16s. If I would invest in new sails and a bottom job the H-18 is much faster.