Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this is totally sacrilegious, but...could some old H-14 hulls be paired up with a Snipe 15, Sea Bee 15, or other hull shape to create a trimaran? May be with a H-16 rig on top?? Granted there would be tons of engineering hurdles (ie: incorporating the inverted tension truss (dolphin striker) to support the H-16 rig).
I really like the idea of the mini high-performance trimaran. The Hobie Adventure seems wonderful, but I wish it was just a little bigger...faster (hiking out of cockpit performance). This dream Tri could haul two, barely sleep 1, and scream right along!!
Is there something out there like this? Found something called an Astus 14.1 and 16.1...$$$, Weta Tri...$$, and Windrider 17...$$$. I want to use salvage H-14 as amas and build a stitch and glue performance main hull (planing and/or wave piercing bows?)
Might be sort of an inappropriate post; I don't want to ruffle feathers, but does anybody have any ideas?
thanks, bones.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's been done before with Hobie 16 hulls - it's called the "Tremolino":

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had that same idea, this past season, I threw this contraption together, mainly because I had the 2 boats laying around and at 200 lbs., I thought I might be too heavy for a 14. The center hull was a Zuma 14'. I had sailed this a few times, but on one Sunday afternoon it was 25 mph winds, steady, a real handful for others on the lake, but I was screaming across the lake, and while other 16's were capsizing, I was enjoying a cool bottle of Busch, and even flying a hull myself. Although the "Tremolina" is much prettier, mine was cheap. It got a lot of comments, from both cat's and mono hull 'rs, there was way too much talking on the beach, but I wanted to try it, it worked, and then I dismantled and sold everything. I did pick up a 16 later on.

[color=#4000FF]1974 Hobie 16 (Keepin 4 my sons)