Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Trips around Sydney
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pittwater - Twilight sail from Sandy Point: 8 Dec 09

On the evening of 8 Dec I launched from Sandy Point at approx 6:00pm. Float plan was to beat into the nor-easterly for 1 hour and turn around at 7:00pm. Hopefully there was a decent swell running in from the Tasman Sea and I could surf it back in. If I was lucky the predicted southerly change would not hit until after I got back and I would have a great reach back down Pittwater.

To no avail. Firstly the swell was only about 2m and very short. Once I was north of Barrenjoey the wind turned easterly and dropped. I continued peddling on a high point to almost 1NM north of Barrenjoey, just off Lion Island until 7:00pm and it was time to head for home. Now the wind almost disappeared as I peddled south, getting a little exhilaration down a couple of waves in the occasional larger set.

As I came around Barrenjoe into Pittwater the ominous black cloud was visible at the southern end of Pittwater. After a few more minutes it was over Clareville and after taking a hand full of photos, time to batten down the hatches and check that the reefing line was in place and functioning.

The storm hit as I was off the northern end of Barrenjoe Beach. Initially I had the sail fully furled and tried peddling into the wind. I was making no headway and no steerage way. I pulled out about a third of my sail and started beating into the wind. The wind dropped to about 20knots and the sailing became fun again, albeit the chop left me totally saturated.

As I approached Sandy Point the strong winds came up again and started loosing enthusiasm to beat into it any further, so decided I'd had enough for the day and pulled in to the south side of Sandy Point and brought the AI up the beach.

All-in-all another great evening out on the AI and celebration of my 4th week of AI ownership.
Distance travelled: 6.7 NM
Max speed: 7 knots
Trip duration: 2hr

Last edited by okz00k on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Trips around Sydney
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Rose Bay - 9 Dec 09

On Wednesday evening it was time to return the AI to its resting place at Woolarha Sailing Club with time for a quick excursion before sunset.
Distance travelled: 3NM
Max Speed: 6.1 kt
Trip duration: 50min
Moving average: 3.6 kt

Last edited by okz00k on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Out of Drummoyne

On Monday night the AI was still on the roof of the car and deserved to be launched. I found a good ramp at the Drummoyne Sailing Club and took advantage of the light winds to enjoy the tranquility of sunset over the Iron Cover Bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

First Expedition Outside

Had a great solo sail on Saturday.

Headed out from Woolahra Sailing Club ramp at 11:00am into a 5-10 kt NEster which soon became 10-15kt. Tacked out to the heads and stuck my nose outside. Winds remained relatively constant and had some fun reaching to the SE into a short 1m swell on the port beam.

At 12:30 it was time to head back. I was about 1 NM out with the Centre Point tower lined up with the middle of The Gap. The broad reach, running with the swell, on the way back through the Heads proved great fun and a couple of Ya-Hoo runs down the larger sets made my day. After rounding South Head I fell into a lull and met up with a group of kayakers who were returning to Watsons Bay from their morning trip to Shelly Beach. After making them all envious of the AI's sailing ability I dropped into Watson's Bay for a dose of fish and chips from Doyles.

Watson's Bay was completely sheltered from the NEster and I didn't pick up the wind again until 1/2 NM off the beach. Then it was great with 10-15 kts pushing me to Bradley's Head. From Bradley's Head the wind picked up, gusting to 20 kts and I got my best reaching experience yet, taking only 15 minutes from Bradleys Head to the moorings on the south side of Rose Bay - inundated in spray all the way.

Biggest regret was not having the GPS with me, on this my first trip outside and no record of what felt like my fastest speed yet - felt lots faster than the 11 kts which I recorded two weeks earlier.

Then, followed it up on Sunday with a leisurely peddle & paddle around Lake Burrinjuck in our Oasis with my wife Hemmi.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great post and nice pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crikey, didn't see any of these little fellas did you-

Shark attacks kayakers in Sydney-

http://www.australiancoastalwatch.com.au/index.php/news/bnshark14432tx.article.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cowsgomoo wrote:
Crikey, didn't see any of these little fellas did you-

Shark attacks kayakers in Sydney-

http://www.australiancoastalwatch.com.au/index.php/news/bnshark14432tx.article.html

Great link. I almost wet myself. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Balmoral to Rose Bay in a 20-25 NEster

Wednesday 16 Dec was the office christmas BBQ on Balmoral Beach so I took the opportunity to sail the AI there from Rose Bay. Conditions were not perfect with 15-20 kts NEster to beat into to for the first 3 NM to West Head. the weather man predicted up to 25 kts gusts and settling after 5:00pm.

I left WSC on the southern end of Rose Bay at 13:25 but forgot to take the take the GSP out of the dry bag and turn it on. Once under way the wind, and a deadline to my lunch date, kept me too busy so no track recorded. Arrived at Balmoral Beach at 14:35 and fortunately there was still plenty of food and drink.

As the afternoon progressed, so did the wind. When it was time to return the winds were 20-25 kts gusting 30. With half my sail furled I slowly tacked out to West Head into a 1m swell and as much white chop all around. After a short reach around West Head it was a down wind run, with a following sea, back to Rose Bay.

It was a relatively lonely trip. The only other sails ont he harbour were sail boards skimming around at 20 kts plus.

The AI performed magnificently. At no time did I feel the boat stressed, even whilst submarining with the bow a foot under water and water to my waist. I had a short 1/2 to 1m swell following me home and had several Ya-Hoos with Mirage drive slack as the AI ploughed down wave fronts. I also learned all about the nose going in as a short wave picks up the stern - very interesting under full sail in 25 kts. There were a couple of instances where the boat almost came to a halt and veered hard to port across the swell. But in all cases just releasing the sail left me stable again.

On the down wind leg the AI peaked 11 kts. This is the fastest I've achieved. Is this the AI's hull speed?

Trip Stats from the GPS Odometer (including demo sail off Balmoral Beach):
Trip distance: 5.11 NM
Max Speed: 11 kts
Moving Average: 4.7 kts
Time Moving: 1hr 06min

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Seattle, WA and more times than not, Camano Is, WA USA
okzOOK,
Just wanted to let you know I've really been enjoying your posts the last few weeks.
The weather here in the PNW has been cold, windy and not AI friendly. And your posts help me imagine myself out on the water.
Do you ever find the day after you've been out in the sunhine and on the waves, you get into your car, the suns in your eyes so you put your sunglasses on and they have salt spray on them from the day before? Puts a smile on your face. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fly'n C Lion you have inspired me. I was feeling that I might need an AI fix today, but now I'm sure - 6 days since my last and tomorrow evening I fly to Melbourne for Christmas with the family (where I have an Oasis to peddle around Port Philip - but that's not the same), so this evening is my last opportunity before New Year. I'll post a trip report here tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sydney Harbour Cruise - 22Dec09

I set out from Woollahra Sailing Club at around 6:00pm on Tuesday 22 Dec. After I got the AI in the water I found that the rudder was not travelling fully to starboard, so it was back up the ramp to rectify the slack in the rudder control line. That done, back down the ramp, hook up the main sheet, unhook the sail tie, unplug the cart, pull down the rudder, unclip the bungie on the Mirage drive, push off and get out there.

I was all thumbs and totally uncoordinated at the bottom of the ramp - first I couldn't manage the bungies on the rear luggage rack to secure the cart (later I found that I had secured the cart on top of the main sheet), then I could not make headway with the Mirage drive to escape the NEster blowing me back into the ramp - whilst fiddling around I ended up drifting into a Moth which came up to the ramp whilst I was mucking around - thanks to the skipper for fending me off. At that point it was time to step out and start off again. This time I pushed off directly into the wind and managed to peddle out a few meters, but now I had no starboard rudder. I peddled a bit further out, clear of the moored boats to investigate - I hadn't cleated the rudder pull line - line now pulled tight and cleated I had starboard rudder again, and ready to sail. Next I pulled out the sail - what was the resistance and the sail did not look right - looking over my shoulder there was my cart up in the air, also I could not point the boat - I wonder if the dagger board, still in its holder on the deck, was a contributing factor?

I got well clear of everything and driftet for a few minutes whilst getting everything in order, and get my head back together.

At last I was sailing.

The drift plan was a basic harbour cruise - under the Harbour Bridge and beyond turning back at 7:00pm.

I was reaching on a line to Bradleys Head with a 5-10 kt NEster (I wonder if the wind ever blows in other directions on this Harbour). As I headed out I watched a massive rain squall cross south to north in the western suburbs and appeared to be approaching the city. I wondered if I should break out the spray jacket. As I approached Tooronga the sky to the south of the squall cleared and by the time I reached Kirribilli I was bathed in sun.

The flags on the Harbour Bridge were pointing due south, but the wind on the water was still from the NE. As I reached the bridge the wind dropped off all together, with not a ripples to be seen across the harbour. With the sail luffing miserably, it was time to furl and peddle around Milsons Point and on to Blues Point. Now the wind came up again and I was reaching across towards Dawes Point. Unfortunately it was 7:15pm and time to head for home, so I started tacking into a now westerly (whilst the flags on top of the Harbour Bridge still pointed due south).

To speed up my return I was peddling hard and pointing as high as I could without luffing the sail - then Mirage drive problems. The drive felt like it was skipping teeth. I took it out to inspect, but the chain tension felt OK. The skipping worsened soon at a point where the drive was virtually useless. Without a spanner and pliers I couldn’t adjust the chain tension and became totally reliant on the wind.

The trip back was taking much longer than anticipated and it was getting dark. All the craft around me had their nav lights on. The previous week I had invested in battery operated LED port/starboard and steaming lights. The port/starboard light has a clamp, but I found it would not satisfactorily clamp to anything on the AI. I managed to mount it on the Scotty rod holder on my port gunwale. The steaming light has a suction cup - it worked fine on the back of the Oasis, but the only smooth piece of deck it would stick to was in the cup holder on the starboard side behind the seat.

Lights rigged I was visible and on my way again.

I was back on the WSC ramp at 8:50pm, and another great AI adventure on Sydney Harbour over.

More pics at http://det-hem.ourpix.biz/main.php?g2_itemId=39611

Trip Stats from the GPS Odometer (including demo sail off Balmoral Beach):
Trip distance: 7.69 NM
Max Speed: 7.1 kts
Moving Average: 3.4 kts
Time Moving: 2hr 17min Time stop: 22min

Last edited by okz00k on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi okz00k,
I've done that exact trip in the past - WSC to Bradley's Head, then down to the Harbour Bridge and back. If we (and David) can ever get out at the same time, we might be able to get some iconic shots of the AI's with the Bridge/Opera House in the background.
As to the feeling that the Mirage drive is slipping, if you are using Turbo fins, it could be that the clews at the top rear of the fins are too loose. That can give a slipping sensation as the top of the fin slips out of the outhaul gap. As usual Roadrunner has provided all the data: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10176&p=89379&hilit=clew#p89379

Last edited by chrisj on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another great story and pic's!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
Hi okz00k,
I've done that exact trip in the past - WSC to Bradley's Head, then down to the Harbour Bridge and back. If we (and David) can ever get out at the same time, we might be able to get some iconic shots of the AI's with the Bridge/Opera House in the background.

There are now 5 AIs stored at WSC. It would be great to get them all together (plus a few ring-ins).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Seattle, WA and more times than not, Camano Is, WA USA
okzOOk,
A Good story of your last sail before Christmas.
I think we all have had those days where it seems like we just aren't together. And the good thing about them is they reinforce the importance of our safty and being better prepared before take-off. It's a good thing you had your boat lights along.
Did you ever find what was wrong with your drive? I've had small rocks up in the enclosed part which caused my drive to act up, but never had them do what you discribed.

Merry Christmas, all you AI'ers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next