Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi all,

I have just upgraded my Rola roof racks to now include the Universal Water Craft Carriers. Just wondering since i have a tiny hyundai accent, if it is possible to transport the AI with the amas still attached but folded in.

My second question do you think there would be any problems from storing the AI by hanging it from the crossbars? I'm going to build a hoist in my garage so that i can just drive in with the AI on the roofrack then hook it up and lift. It seems that the main problem with hanging it is that you can warp the hull, but i would think that the crossbars would be very strong and balanced correctly since they are designed to hold the amas?

And finally does anyone know the dimensions of the Amas and the thickness of the main hull, these aren't on the website?

Thanks everyone and happy sailing!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am sure others will be along to give sound advice as well.
My 2 cents would be, that it is going to be quite a handful to load with the amas on, I certainly wouldn't attempt it single handed. My other concern would be how far apart the roof bars are?
I am not familiar with your car, but I transport mine on an old Jeep Cherokee with the roof bars at the very front and rear of the roof (possibly 8' apart) and there is still quite a lot of it overhanging the rear, with the bows flush with the front of the Jeep. If they are too close, it is going to concentrate a lot of stress that may damage the hull, also it will be unstable once some airflow gets under it on the move. There is also the issues of whether it should be transported upside down rather than right way up?
I take the amas and akas off and carry as much weight as possible inside the car and just carry the hull (upside down), amas and mast (complete with sail in its bag) on the roof.
Another question is what is the recommended maximum weight your car can take on the roof, most of the larger 4x4's / estates don't recommend more than 100 lbs max.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nope, don't hang by the crossbars. Make a sling the goes around the hull.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

rokraider wrote:
I am sure others will be along to give sound advice as well.
My 2 cents would be, that it is going to be quite a handful to load with the amas on, I certainly wouldn't attempt it single handed. My other concern would be how far apart the roof bars are?
I am not familiar with your car, but I transport mine on an old Jeep Cherokee with the roof bars at the very front and rear of the roof (possibly 8' apart) and there is still quite a lot of it overhanging the rear, with the bows flush with the front of the Jeep. If they are too close, it is going to concentrate a lot of stress that may damage the hull, also it will be unstable once some airflow gets under it on the move. There is also the issues of whether it should be transported upside down rather than right way up?
I take the amas and akas off and carry as much weight as possible inside the car and just carry the hull (upside down), amas and mast (complete with sail in its bag) on the roof.
Another question is what is the recommended maximum weight your car can take on the roof, most of the larger 4x4's / estates don't recommend more than 100 lbs max.

Hope this helps.

thanks for your advice, the problem i have is that with the mast and the hull on the roof, there is no room for the Amas as the car is not very wide. I'm also not sure if they will fit inside the car.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reconlon wrote:
Nope, don't hang by the crossbars. Make a sling the goes around the hull.

thanks Bob, do you know why you can't hang it from the bars?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The aka are held in by bolts screwed into brass inserts in the plastic that can take quite a bit of abuse, but don't do well with constant forces pulling on them. The plastic will most likely slowly release the inserts, until one day they'll come crashing down onto your car! :o :shock: :(

Upside down wouldn't be as bad, but better to slip a sling around both ends and use them to hold the hull. (same problem with long steady use of the front or rear carry handles)

I use a piece (~2 foot) of pool noodle with a piece of drip hose through it, held up by a rope through them both to hold the rear of my AI's. Works well, with no denting. A 1 1/2 or 2" wide strap would probably work as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

reconlon wrote:
The aka are held in by bolts screwed into brass inserts in the plastic that can take quite a bit of abuse, but don't do well with constant forces pulling on them. The plastic will most likely slowly release the inserts, until one day they'll come crashing down onto your car! :o :shock: :(

Upside down wouldn't be as bad, but better to slip a sling around both ends and use them to hold the hull. (same problem with long steady use of the front or rear carry handles)

I use a piece (~2 foot) of pool noodle with a piece of drip hose through it, held up by a rope through them both to hold the rear of my AI's. Works well, with no denting. A 1 1/2 or 2" wide strap would probably work as well.

thanks reconlon, the pool noodles are a really good idea!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChaosDave wrote:
thanks for your advice, the problem i have is that with the mast and the hull on the roof, there is no room for the Amas as the car is not very wide. I'm also not sure if they will fit inside the car.

Dave, it's possible to carry the amas on top of the hull. I don't have a photo, but I have transported it on the car that way on one occasion. Here's a photo of my boat stored on sawhorses. The arrangement on the car is the same, only with a strap passing through the ama handles. Just watch out for low bridges :wink:.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

chrisj wrote:
ChaosDave wrote:

Dave, it's possible to carry the amas on top of the hull. I don't have a photo, but I have transported it on the car that way on one occasion. Here's a photo of my boat stored on sawhorses. The arrangement on the car is the same, only with a strap passing through the ama handles. Just watch out for low bridges :wink:.

thanks Chris this may be my only option, does anyone know the specs i was asking for, i wanna measure up my car for the amas before i pick up my AI tomorrow :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know the ama are 8 feet long and I think they're 8 inches deep. Probably a little less wide. I can get exact mesurements when the sun comes up.

This is what I did for storage: (before I added the noodle slings to the rear)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob,

As shown in your picture, won't your hulls develop serious dents in the bottom? What do you mean about "noodle slings?" Do you have pictures?

I'm about to add a second AI and need to figure out some storage.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK Keith, here's the rack today: :)

The front near the mast cup has never distorted, so the hull is sitting on a 2 x 6 covered with carpeting.

The back is suspended just above it's bracket by the bracket above each. The tubing just peeking out below protects the noodle from being ripped by the rope.

This has worked out well for about three years now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

got my beautiful new red AI today and after bringing it home and taking off all the bubble wrap i found that one of my aka connector pins and the cord is missing :( I called my dealer and he said he will order me a new one ASAP and reckons i should just be able to use a nut and bolt for the moment, can anyone see a problem with this?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you are talking about the stainless steel pin with the right angle on the top, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use a bolt. I would recommend using a stainless set screw with a shank, rather than one that has threads all the way up. You really dont want the teeth of the threads chewing away at the aluminium on the hinge. Use a nyloc nut and don't tighten it up other than to ensure the nyloc part of the nut is engaged on the threads to stop the bolt falling out. You must not crush the hinge by tightening it up.
I am surprised it is missing, they are usually held to the aka with a loop of elastic. :?

Have fun with your new toy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry to hear that Dave. :(
That's why your dealer is supposed to unpack the AI! :?
If possible I'd be taking an aka with the pin attached to a stainless supply shop and getting a length of round bar to match -if there are any open now being Christmas?
A bolt would work but I agree with Rokraider about possible thread damage.
Short term you could even use steel rod sprayed with Inox.