Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK crew,

New to the forum, just got my AI yesterday and took her out today. Yes, we are in love. Don't tell my girlfriend.

On the topic of nighttime nav lights for sailing vessels. There are a couple of variations for sailing vessels of our size according to the International and Inland Rules of the Road, which are enforced by the Coast Guard and other equivalent international groups. These rules apply everywhere and are also enforced, for example for me in Florida by the Fish & Wildlife Commission patrol boats as well Marine Patrol and Sheriffs.

An all around masthead light in addition of a red and green side light on a sailboat is for a power-driven vessel, even if under sail as well. As long as that motor is on. The all around can be achieved with a 225deg forward facing masthead light and a 135deg rear facing stern light. Only under sail and having a forward facing white light, especially in conjunction with r&g sidelights is very dangerous.

As a note sidelights (red and green) shall only shine from dead ahead to 112.5 deg abaft the beam. The cutoff is very important for proper gauge of actual vessel heading by an oncoming vessel. These Teklite modules look light a great option but I highly doubt they have the appropriate cutoffs. Not just regs folks but for another boat to really figure out how you are oriented.

Vessels less than 20m can exhibit a tricolor combo light consisting of a port and starboard sidelight with stern light all in one unit at the top of the mast.

A boat at anchor will exhibit only an all around white light. A sailboat underway displaying an all around white light is against regulations and you can easily be cited for it by various enofrcement agencies.

Now for a sailboat under 7m all that is REQUIRED is that you have a torch and shine it on your sail in enough time to avoid a collision. That is the only REQUIREMENT and is not the safest option for the prudent sailor in a small vessel on the water at night.

I really think Hobie should be putting out a legal Coast Guard approved kit for these sail yaks, AI's especially.

The ultimate key here is that if you want to be seen by as a sailing vessel at night you can ONLY be showing a red and green sidelight from the front otherwise especially in conjunction with an all around light a vessel assumes you are under power and will be relying on that for your actions and maneuverability in an crossing situation. pretty dangerous in my opinion.

To be LEGAL you can display either the tricolor on the mast top or the stern 135deg white light with sidelights. Anything else and you chancing getting hasseled, especially in the event of an actual collision.

I'm not a stickler for rules by many means. Mostly looking out for your safety is all. If it helps I am a licensed Captain, so I know these rules in and out. I will be researching cheap and legal options and will report what I find here so we can all keep sailing for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is some useful input Foow. Are those international rules that apply worldwide?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The regulations can be a bit confusing at times, but I think it is esential for skippers to realise that there are "legal" variations of displayed lights and all should be given due consideration and tolerated. A couple of extracts

"Sailing vessels under 7 metres
Sailing vessels of less than 7 metres in length, or vessels being rowed shall exhibit the lights required for sailing vessels over 7 metres in length. If not, they shall have ready for use an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent a collision."

"Sailing vessels 7 metres to 20 metres
Sailing vessels of more than 7 metres in length and less than 20 metres in length shall exhibit: Combined lantern, that is at or near the top of the mast and incorporates sidelights and stern light; or Separate sidelights and stern light."

I take this to mean the following. an AI under sail is a "Sailing vessels under 7 metres" an AI not under sail or any kayak is a "vessel being rowed" and as such has four legal lighting options

1 & 2. exhibit the lights required for sailing vessels over 7 metres (2 options listed above).
3. an electric torch or
4. a lighted lantern

so it is legal to display a "lantern" or all round white light while sailing or "rowing" or even to rely on a torch. so in the event of a collision with a powered boat the powered boat would be at fault for not taking due care and attention. Whether that would be much consolation if you were in a collision is another matter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is what I came up with recently : Navi light 360 from http://www.navisafe.no/en/products_360.html
For me, it meets a lot of requirements (well it should, I haven't received it yet, I'll let you know if there's anything wrong) : light, LED ie power efficient, 3 AAA easy to replace, floatable, waterproof, 360, two or three nights on it...

Post subject: Re: mast light
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

my Australian skippers booklet has a similar story

"Sailing vessels under 7 metres
Sailing vessels of less than 7 metres in length,
or vessels being rowed shall exhibit the lights
required for sailing vessels over 7 metres in length
(see fi gure v, vi on page 27). If not, they shall have
ready for use an electric torch or lighted lantern
showing a white light which shall be exhibited in
suffi cient time to prevent a collision."

but i would definitely recommend having a light on at all times after dark. Went for my first night sail last week and we simply tapped a led torch facing up to the bottom of the mast. worked well might make a more permanent fixture.

Post subject: Re: mast light
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hope it's OK that I posted this on another similar thread, but it is directly related...

Our company, Kayalu, recently introduced the Kayalite, a high-performance portable stern light that can be secured to any fixed point of attachment, for example an eyelet or pad eye on the afterdeck. The Kayalite's design, which incorporates the popular Tektite Mark III (bolted to its mast using stainless steel hardware) was honed over the course of a year of testing and prototyping. The Kayalite is both buoyant and submersible to 300m below sea level.

The Kayalite is now available for shipment worldwide.

Our other products, shipping and/or under development, include portable, impact-resistant waterproof mounts for video, camera, GPS, iPhone and more.

Any feedback from members of this forum would certainly be appreciated.

Regards,
Steve Hollinger
President
Kayalu.com
Boston, MA USA

Post subject: Ignore, this is a test
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

test

you make...
--The Beatles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jms2756 wrote:
Matt I have found a suitable light to adapt for a mastlight (no remote control :( ) but it weighs 950g including the fitting and batteries, is this going to be too heavy to fit to the top of the mast?

That seems quite heavy Jim.. The Hobie/Yakattack lights would work fine.

2015 Hobie Adventure Island in Golden Papaya "Sail-Fish"