Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AUS - Port Philip Bay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Frankston to Mornington

Hemmi brought the Oasis down to Frankston where we are celebrating Christmas with our family. So, this morning whilst the girls were preparing for the Christma Eve dinner, it was time for me to explore Port Philip Bay.

The Oasis was launched, via the boat ramp at the bottom of Olivers Hill, a little before 7:00am and I headed south along the coast, staying out far enough from the reefs to ensure I remained in Mirage friendly waters.

Initially the bay was like a mill pond with the early morning temperature still around 30C. It wasn't too long before the squalls in the SW reached me and the winds came up to 15+ kts, quickly whipping up a sharp 30cm swell (if only I had the AI!). I was impressed by the way the Oasis handled the conditions. I was able to sustain 3 kts into a 15 kt breeze. I soon realised that riding solo had its advantages with the higher bow providing significant protection from the spray as I pounded through the chop, which was becoming a short 50cm swell.

I drove into the wind for almost an hour, breaking the monotony by playing with the sea on my beam as well as on each quarter. The stability this Oasis is very impressive. With a 15 kt breeze on the quarter or the beam it did require a bit of effort to hold course, but not a major challenge. I was really looing forward to a quick return trip with tail wind, however by the 8:30 the squalls had passed and the wind dropped off completely. The chop dropped off as quickly as the wind leaving a short 30cm swell.

I turned back near the Mornington Golf Club and leisurely potted around close to the beach, having an occasional chat with dogs walking their masters and mistresses. Now in the shallows I practiced holding the mirage fins up, pulling the rudder up and paddling - I'm told paddling is good for upper body strength in which I am deficient.

Apart from one 15 ft tinny, I had seen noone else on the water during my trip out. It was now after 9:00am and a few kayakers were to be seen, as well as a hand full more fishing boats. But noone appeared to be catching any fish. Nevertheless I reccon that whilst I'm mosying along at trawling speed it seems a shame not to be dragging a lure - maybe I could being home lunch? It's time to come back alongside and source a couple of rod holders for the Oasis.

Trip distance: 7.45 NM
Max Speed: 5.7 kts
Moving Average: 2.4 kts
Trip duration: 3hr 02min

Last edited by okz00k on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Certainly was hot down here overnight. Almost a record. Early morning on the Bay would have been nice.
Maybe you should get a sail kit for the Oasis...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cowsgomoo wrote:
.... Maybe you should get a sail kit for the Oasis...

I certainly should - I'm working on the business case. All suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by okz00k on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The boat ramp at the bottom of Olivers Hill, Frankston South.

Alan agreed to come our with me on Boxing Day. The float plan was to launch at Olivers Hill boat ramp again and head south along the coast to Mornington. There we would meet the girls and my sister would swap with Alan for a ride.

We set off at around 8:30am on a mirror glazed bay, whilst the girls headed off to their favourite coffee shop and breakfast. The sky was overcast and temp around 20C - a great morning to show off the Mirage drive and the Oasis. Every now and then the sun poked its head out lighting up the bottom. Similarly little wind squalls came up from the SE providing some variety.

We were discussing the relative stability of the Oasis and I explained to Alan that two days prior I had tried tipping the boat whilst solo and was surprised at how much effort it required to overturn and then I demonstrated. Now I was equally surprised how easily the boat overturned, with both of us on the gunwale - suddenly we were both in the drink with the boats' hull pointing to the sky. This gave me an opportunity to show Alan how easy it was to turn the boat right way up, and whilst holding the boat steady instructed Alan how to make a deep water entry. With Alan stable in the boat again I pulled myself in and we were on our way - both saturated but enthusiasm intact - another valuable drill well executed, or so I thought until I realised that my mobile phone had been unprotected in my shirt pocket under the PFD - phones don't work too well after a salt water soaking.

I had my second phone in the dry bag under the hatch. Nearing Mornington Pier I gave the girls a call so we could meet up and Alan and Dagi could swap. With Dagi on board we continued south to Fishermans Beach where we spotted another Hobie kayak, a yellow Revolution rigged for fishing.

Apart from the first half hour, most of the trip was in full sun with a light cooling breeze - a prefect morning for peddling around Port Philip Bay.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On 27 Dec we sent our daughter and her boyfriend off from Mt Martha beach to meet up with them again at Fisherman's Beach

Then Hemmi and I swapped with them to try out the new fishing rods and tackle I purchased in the post Christmas sales, along with the two new rod holders which I fitted to the Oasis two days earlier.

Track log:

Neat modded Revolution we came across on Fisherman's Beach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So how did the fishing go?

That's a very neat job on the Revolution.