Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are some pictures of my new custom Hobie Adventure Tri (Spring Creek aka conversion).

PM me if you want to see a video of this setup (Custom Hobie Adventure Tri) on the water.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sure would like to see your video. I have a Hobie Mirage that I would like to put floats on. It is too unstable to sail.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kirk,

Thanks for the video.

I'm an "Old Salt" I've sailed boats from 12' to 27'. I've raced and cruised catamarans back in the 70's.

Now that I'm retired I've been messing around with kayaks, but I really miss sailing.

I have the sail kit and have had poor sailing with my 2000 Hobie Mirage. The boat is very "tender". The slightest gust and I've had to release the main sheet to spill wind. Never been able to really sail.

My wife's 2007 Hobie Sport is a lot "stiffer" and I have been able to sail in in a light breeze with turbo fins. But not in any real wind.

I really thought I'd have to buy an Adventure Island to be able to really sail.

Your video gives me hope. The SPRING CREEK STABILIZERS look great.

A few questions: Does having the Spring Creek Ama hulls so far aft cause the boat to be unbalanced and fall off the wind, instead of having weather helm and heading up in a gust?

Would it be better to have the Amas farther outboard? The Adventure Island has a 9 foot beam. Your trimaran looks like it has around 4 foot beam. Your supplier has an option for a wider crossbar of 46". Yours is 30" I think. Could I go a lot wider, say to 7 foot beam? That, at 7 foot, would be close to the proportions of the adventure Island beam.

Comments??

Tom

PS: Thanks for the video.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tomtrike wrote:
Kirk,

Thanks for the video.

I'm an "Old Salt" I've sailed boats from 12' to 27'. I've raced and cruised catamarans back in the 70's.

Now that I'm retired I've been messing around with kayaks, but I really miss sailing.

I have the sail kit and have had poor sailing with my 2000 Hobie Mirage. The boat is very "tender". The slightest gust and I've had to release the main sheet to spill wind. Never been able to really sail.

My wife's 2007 Hobie Sport is a lot "stiffer" and I have been able to sail in in a light breeze with turbo fins. But not in any real wind.

I really thought I'd have to buy an Adventure Island to be able to really sail.

Your video gives me hope. The SPRING CREEK STABILIZERS look great.

A few questions: Does having the Spring Creek Ama hulls so far aft cause the boat to be unbalanced and fall off the wind, instead of having weather helm and heading up in a gust?

Would it be better to have the Amas farther outboard? The Adventure Island has a 9 foot beam. Your trimaran looks like it has around 4 foot beam. Your supplier has an option for a wider crossbar of 46". Yours is 30" I think. Could I go a lot wider, say to 7 foot beam? That, at 7 foot, would be close to the proportions of the adventure Island beam.

Comments??

Tom

PS: Thanks for the video.

Hi Tom,

Glad you enjoyed the videos. I have set them up on both the Revo and Adventure closer to the rear and they work great. I had the same question like yours before I mounted mine. It seems like it turns and sails better in the rear as a setup. You can get a custom aka crossbar mount length from Spring Creek. You should talk with SC and ask them what they would recommend on the Classic model. They are very helpful.

Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kirk,

I have all Winter to do the Trimaran upgrade. I'll be calling Spring Creek to get started.

Thanks again for a great idea.

I'll keep posting my progress.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't wait to see the progress of your custom Classic Tri.

Post the pictures here for others to get ideas.

By the way, I don't work for Spring Creek. I just love their quality made products.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a problem. My Classic Hobie Mirage Kayak has the old style rudder. Is there any way that I may mount a larger rudder for sailing?

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom,

My first Hobie kayak was the Hobie Mirage Classic fiberglass model (these were the first few made before the plastic production Classic models were started). It was painted white with a featherlight rudder. I loved that kayak and I wish I still had it. Maybe it is possible to modify the Mirage Classis plastic kayak rudder to a longer featherlight rudder.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kirk,

Tom's Top Kayaker Shop has a "SmartTrack Foil rudder blade" that I might be able to adapt for my Hobie Classic. It would follow your idea for "low drag", since it is "foil" shaped. They claim 28% less drag than a flat rudder blade.

The list price is only $20. So I might as well buy one and then figure out how to adapt it.

I've already decided that the Spring Creek Stabilizer Kit will be my birthday present in February. :D

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, that looks really cool for my Revolution. Could you please PM me the link to your video?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kirk,

Just got off the phone with Chuck at Spring Creek. He will check to see if he will be able to make me a set of stabilizer floats in white. Right now he makes grey, yellow and red. I'm hoping to match the hull color of my 2000 Classic Mirage.

I also asked for a price on powder coating the stabilizer mounts black.

Lots of time before sailing weather will be back here. 24F now and snowing hard.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tomtrike wrote:
Kirk,

Just got off the phone with Chuck at Spring Creek. He will check to see if he will be able to make me a set of stabilizer floats in white. Right now he makes grey, yellow and red. I'm hoping to match the hull color of my 2000 Classic Mirage.

I also asked for a price on powder coating the stabilizer mounts black.

Lots of time before sailing weather will be back here. 24F now and snowing hard.

Tom

RE: Custom Color Amas

That is great news to hear. I can't wait to see pictures.

24F is too cold! Burrr!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

lqt420 wrote:
Wow, that looks really cool for my Revolution. Could you please PM me the link to your video?

I just sent you an email with the links. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Tom, when Spring Creek Outfitters get back to you with a quote on the black powder coating, give us a heads up if you could.

Thanks!

Kirk, thanks for the video too!

- Leon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Leon,

Chuck at Spring Creek is supposed to call me with a quote soon. I will pass it along.

This trimaran will be 1/10 the cost of a Hobie Adventure Island. I won't have to buy a trailer hitch and special trailer. I already have a trailer I made out of the beach cart for the Classic. I also have the sail kit and an oak thwart with a Hobie mast tube. So I'll still be able to tow the boat with my bike to our city launch ramp 0.8 miles from our home.

Tom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next