Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New poster here, hope i dont repeat any questions or themes, but here goes:

I currently own a laser but have always kicked around the idea of upgrading to a multihull for both speed/performance and the ability to better accomodate a sailing partner (i'm aware of the 350lb "submarine capt" thread). Couple days ago I stumbled upon an offering for an H17 listed w/out trailer for $800. I called the guy up and checked it out. For an 1986 hull, the boat appears to be in very good condition-- quite clean with an excellent sail and adequate hardware. I felt no threatening soft-spots and could find no shooting cracks etc etc. However, the current owner openly informed me that the boat does indeed leak-- so much so that the issue "should" be addressed if the boat were to be sailed effectively and enjoyably in the future. The owner noted that leakage was about equal in both hulls and "must come from the top". From my research, this would imply either sleeve damage (which i checked for, yet they seemed fine), centerboard spring-area problems, or possibly something amiss in the crossbar-bed area??

My Questions (as they came to me):
- Beyond issues of previous owner care, is there anything that should deter me from getting involved in a boat of this vintage? Do they usually last if they're well attended to?

- Should i just man up and buy newer with more money later on?

- Are my leakage guesses valid? If so are they permanently fixable to the point of "non-issue-age"?

- How much of a pain is it to remove hulls, manipulate crossbars, and deal with undertaking some of the things i would need to do? Definite mult-person task?

I worked the guy down to $700 for a 20 year old boat in good condition but in need of some repair. I feel that price is quite low and I would be confident in my ability to sell it again for little or no loss. But is it worth my time, my wife's anger, and my ego to undertake this questionable bravado?

thanks for the input...

one more thought... I would be purchasing this boat without trailer, meaning i would be using my laser trailer for bi-yearly transport. I have a modified standard shorelander trailer which supports my laser with two large webbing straps which stem from welded-on 'arms'. My idea was to take off the crossbars/tramp and put the hulls side-by-side on my trailer, laying in the straps just as a laser would only 5 feet longer. that sound too crazy to anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Ty,

I recently purchased an 86 H17 with trailer for $1k. I have about $250 into it for standing riging and misc parts, and another $500 for additional goodies. So after $1750 and a bit of work I have boat that looks old, but sports just as much air between the windward hull and the water as a new one~ I saved 8-10k. In other words, for me, a non racer with an impaired sense of marine vanity, I am happy with old and chalky. I think at this price range these are a bargain. However if you are racing a 17 (not a 16), I believe a newer boat would be better.

Mine has issues (see other post) but I think they are managable. It sounds like you have done a good inspection - which is key.

The trailer, they are a grand. One trip a year? Don't take it apart - reveal your location and appeal to this forum. If you are in the San Jose CA, area and the trip is not too far I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Take it easy,

Dan
Campbell, CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How much time do you want to spend working on your boat? Given my lifestyle (wife, kids, etc) my time is precious so I would rather spend more time sailing and less time working on the boat.

How much is your sailing time worth to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same problem with my '87 for a while, I'd go sailing and come back with the hulls full of enough water to drain out for 2-3 minutes of the rear drain plug in each hull. I had the rubber plugs in for the seats, I checked in both centerboard "cavities"? and everything was fine. I bought two new drain plugs for the hulls cause the old ones looked crappy and often got stuck, and once I sealed them with caulk I have barely ever had any water in the hulls even on an all day sail.
But other than that I don't know what else could be leaking, and I'm definitley not an expert on it.

Post subject: h17 leaks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's probably the wing tubes in the hulls. Adding a set of ports makes this not to bad a repair job. A quick check is to fill the tubes with water and see if it leaks into the hulls (mine did). Hint, don't glue in the ports until after the repair is complete. It gives you a lot more room to work.

cheers
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

h16bill wrote:
It's probably the wing tubes in the hulls. Adding a set of ports makes this not to bad a repair job. A quick check is to fill the tubes with water and see if it leaks into the hulls (mine did). Hint, don't glue in the ports until after the repair is complete. It gives you a lot more room to work.

cheers
Bill

Excellent way to test the leaks. If the tubes need repair, 5inch ports are the way to go- definitely do repairs before you install the bezel that the port hatch screws into.

Also try this: duct tape a vacum to blow air to the the drain holes to lightly pressurize the hulls, if it is leaking anywhere else you may be able to hear the air escaping.
If you have leaks in the tubes and are able to leave the wings on for extended periods put a bead of clear silicone around the deck where the wing support goes into the tube.

The 17 is pretty light - I would think that your trailer would work fine with a couple cross bars mounted on it. Get a a couple 8 foot pieces of square-channel or whatever and mount rollers and guides on the ends - attach to existing trailer with U-bolts. I know someone who carries their sunfish under their 16 on the sunfish trailer. Don't forget - you need a mast support on the tongue also.

I say go for it - Just like my Hobie poster says :wink: