Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adventure Kayak Sailing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is my first test of my new GoPro HD camera. It shows me sailing on a broadreach in Adventure mode, Miragedrive pulled, with only the daggerboard down for stability. Windspeed was 10-15 knots with stronger gusts and my average speed for the sailing section was 4.3 knots over a distance of 4kms. Fastest speed was 7.2knots (GPS)
Great fun and who says you need ama? :wink:
The best bit is I'm commuting to work! :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hp7TzWb27k[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very cool... I want your commute! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Enjoyed the video,especially with the -19,8C i´m reading on my outdoor thermometer..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great video and Great commute! When do we get to see the video of the sail back home?? :roll:

Ron

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Stringy, very nice picture quality and some great sailing speeds with that small sail! The wide angle view was just about perfect. Your film editing was also very effective.

How did you mount the camera? I noticed you filmed on one tack the whole distance -- would tacking have been compatible with that camera location?

I'll have the pop corn ready for your next feature film. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent video. Bit different to taking the train.... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks all for the comments. :)

lqt420- Good things come to those who wait. I spent 24 years commuting- for two hours and then one hour on the train. It took me seven years to get a transfer.

FYR -Glad you enjoyed the video. Hope it warmed you up some!

Ron - Ah yes the return trip, next morning. It was probably one of the most difficult I've done. Heading into a 25 knot southerly. I broke a drivechain and had to stop to repair it. Sadly the battery died early on as I hadn't charged it so I don't have any video but it was certainly a rough trip. No problem for the Miragedrive once repaired though!

Roadrunner- Thanks. I was actually a bit disappointed with the quality. The original file was filmed at 1280 x 960 and looked very clear. But after editing and downsizing quality was lost. I'm not convinced that HD video is worth all the hassle. My computer really struggled with editing. I couldn't get files to play smoothly unless the preview was the size of a postage stamp! The file sizes are huge-about 11 mins/gig. It took 9 hours for my P4 3ghz PC to convert 1 hour of HD to a DVD. :(
I thought the videos that CGM and Slaughter have posted recently were clearer. I might try the lowest setting next time.
The camera was mounted on a length of PVC tube jammed into the S/B rod holder and can be used on either tack. I should have used the Port rod holder for that trip as I think it would have given a better view. The problem with the GoPro is that you have no idea how the video is framed as there is no viewfinder. Next time I will use the other rodholder!

CGM- Thanks. What size was your video that you uploaded. Was it SD?
I've replaced the train timetable and traffic reports with this :wink: -
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm thinking about getting the GoPro HD for a long time. Please keep us posted about your experience since I am very interested in your results and if the gopro is really the way to go!

Thanks,
Torsten

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great stuff again mate. For those of you who don't know Stringy, the start of the clip is in real time. He used to be a stand-in for silent movies. But then he remembers that he is off to work and the pace slows down for some reason. It's a mongrel trying to setup next to him. By the time you get the mast and sail out of the bag, he's sail'n off into sunset. I liked the angle and the wide angle seems to make the waves look big. I agree, your port side is your best side. :lol:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
He used to be a stand-in for silent movies. But then he remembers that he is off to work and the pace slows down for some reason. I agree, your port side is your best side. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slaughter- strangely my 'sickies' have been a lot less since I started kayaking on nightshifts and I thought the wide angle actually made the waves look much smaller! :wink: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice way to go to work. My Wife (Tanja) paddles to work in the summer, we have old Heritage SOT yaks, now she can pedal or sail as we are now owners of two AI's :D New here and loving every post I read, full of information keep it coming. 8)
Cheers Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great stuff again Stringy, great cam! I love the wide angle. I will definitely try the small sail on the AI-hull, next summer that is... (everything covered with snow and ice here now :( )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kermic,
Great to hear your wife is also a kayak commuter. 8)
IMHO the Hobie miragedrive kayak makes the best commuter.
I can wheel it long distances, choose between pedal, paddle or sail and know I can get to my destination whatever the conditions! :)

Skua,
Shame about the ice! :shock:
I'm sure you'll love that small sail.
You can easily try it out using hollow pool noodle as a temporary mast adapter. :wink:

Torsten,
For what it does the GoPro is great value, though it won't replace a conventional camera.
You have no way of knowing how your images are framed or have turned out until you can plug it in to a computer or TV.
The wide angle is forgiving though and it is capable of some great stills as well.
Though as you can see it can be a bit hit or miss.
ImageImage

ImageImage

The trick is to take lots of shots and hopefully you will end up with some that are useable. Fortunately the GoPro's long battery life and capability to use a 32GB card allows you to do this! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video. What a cool commute.
I too am interested in the GoPro.
How do you have your camera mounted ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very impressive w/ that small sail. Nice video, Stringy.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon