Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 weight
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought my first Hobie. It is a 1980 Hobie 16. Can anyone tell me the weight of the boat with the trailer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HDude,

The boat weighed about 330 pounds new. Over time some people suggest Hobies will "pick up" weight. Such as, if water stands in the hulls it can soak into and remain in the foam blocks or fiberglass. (If your boat has inspection ports in the decks, open them and the drain plugs after each sail to drain any water completely and keep the hulls dry as possible via air flow). If your hulls are dry after a good outing then you may be lucky and your boat doesn't take on water. Other possible additional weight could be from past repairs to the hulls of a structural nature, where the added fiberglass and resin contributed to the total weight.
If you must know exactly, you can get close by using your, and your neighbors bathroom scales, one under each hull. :wink: an interesting way to meet new neighbors.
A steel trailer will weigh between two twenty five and three hundred fifty pounds, a trailer box or sail tube will be added to this.
Behind certain vehicles trailered Hobies seem to be heavier than they really are, due to wind resistance. Virtually any Hobie may be towed with a 1,000 lb. hitch setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I towed an H16 for about 5 years and now an H18 behind my VW Passat with the 1.8L engine (manual). The weight is not an issue. John's correct, the wind resistance is the issue. Both boats were substantially wider than my car. But I can get about 25 mpg if I keep the speed under 60.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO