Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
I'm new to the cat's world. Looking for my first sail boat. I have sailing experience on monohulls. The boat I'm looking at is a 1989 H17, only main, no jib (not the sport), needs new trampoline (I guess no big deal) and my Q? is about how much weight can it carry and still be alive. I'm 220#, 6' and have read here that the boat takes a crew of 250-300# max. What should I look at when checking the boat as in soft spot location, ease of repairing the hull if there are some cracks or holes, parts that normally wear and could need replacement, what about upgrading to a jib (worth it?) and so on. I'm confortable working with fiberglass and fabricating metal parts, so I can handle some work.
Thanks all,

Rafa

Post subject: H17
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Weight? Best at about 150-250. Ok with 300ish or more in flat water. Wet with more weight in heavier air.

Issues? Take a look in the wing tubes. They get cracked from ice and removing the wings unevenly. No real issues with soft spots. Repairs are basic glass work.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It should work Ok then, here in FL (Tampa Bay) water is sort of calm. I'll check the boat tonight and report. I'll better get a skiny GF for the 300-ish limit....

Thanks.

Rafa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rafa,

If you are worried about the weight issue you can always look for a used H16. They are everywhere, especially in FL. I had one for about 4 years and woudl routinly sail it with myself and my crew at about 500lbs. It was very impressive when we were both trapped out flying a hull.

You can get a nice used one for around $1000 depending on year, condition, and extras. Another benefit is there are tons of spare parts and knowledge of the boat around. And, if you decide to race you will have no problem finding a fleet or club.

The H16 is also very easy to solo. I was able to set up, launch, sail, and tear down all by myself.

Just something to think about.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hmm.. a H16.. I tought that the smaller the boat the less wieght it could handle, so I've the wrong idea... maybe it's because I'm coming from power boats...
There are some H16 in this area, but believe or not, they are more $$ than the H17 even a H18 I found near by.
Another thing, I'm looking for the boats in the BoatTrader.com, is there any other place to look for Hobies? I don't mind driving to Ga or NC/SC to get a decent boat.

Thanks for all the support for a noobie.

Rafa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out eBay for Hobies. I see them all the time in FL. Also, look into a local fleet. There you can get a first hand look at the different boats and maybe get a ride. They will know of some very nice used boats.

The reason the H17 is not the best choice for heavier crews is it was designed as a solo racer. The hulls are longer yes, but the buoyancy (sp?) is less.

The H18 is a great boat, I have one now. I wanted more room on board, more weight, and a smoother ride on the ocean. It has all of that. But, I can't rig it alone. I have been thinking of going back to the H16 so I can rig it solo.

If you are new to cat sailing, or sailing in general, I would reccommend an H16. You will find lots of people who can help, lots of used spare parts, and they are very simple to rig and sail. I taught myself how to sail on an H16. If you do this, get a book on cat sailing. There will be some very important hints that are not covered in the monohull books.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Rigging alone
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nick you said that you were able to rig the 16 alone; thats impressive. I am a pretty good size guy and i think that I would have trouble stepping the mast alone. Do you have any tips for doing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ramblin,

It's not all about size here. If you can lift and maneuver your mast solo you will be all set. You will need to make a cheap stand to rest the top of your mast on so you can get the stepping pin in place. Then, get up on your tramp and pick up the mast adn walk it upright. Now, is the hard part. You have to find a way to hold the mast up whil you attach the forstay. There is a post either on this website or on catsailor.com where another guy and I talk about how we solo rigged the boat.

I used to use a gin pole setup I added to my trailer, but he used the jib sheet and it was much more simple. I will try to find the thread and let you know. I would use his system.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the post on Catsailor.com

Go Here

This will have both of our systems. Scroll to the top of the page and you will find them.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO