Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solo Rigging
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have taken delivery of our new Wave just before Christmas and am loving it, kids think it is great and boy, does it go!

My eldest son (6) and I are keen to be sailing more than the rest of the family so I am looking for any tips on solo rigging (my 6 year old can "help" but you gte the idea), best way to raise mast and hold it in position while attaching the forestay to the bridle etc. I have searched through the posts but can't find anything.......

Any solo rigging tips much appreciated. Thanks from a happy "downunder" Waver.

Post subject: Re: Solo Rigging
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the Wave community! I'm sure you'll love the boat as much as we all do. This will be a great introduction to sailing for your son. Have FUN!!!

I've always rigged mine solo, and I think the best tips I can give are:

Attach the mast base (ball) first, then insert the comptip. That gives you something solid to push against, or pull against when removing it.

Before raising the mast, attach the shrouds, then tie the bitter end (non-hook) of the halyard to the bridle shackle and loosely cleat the hook end at the mast base. Stand on the trampoline toward the rear, raise the mast to your shoulder, then walk it up to the front, raising as you go. Once you're at the front, reach down and re-cleat the halyard taut. You're now free to to walk around and attach the forestay to the bridle. (Tying the bitter end to the bridle, rather than the hook end, keeps the mast from twisting as you put tension on the halyard.)

But once your son gets the idea of pinning the forestay, you can skip the halyard tie-off part.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Using the halyard for holding the mast up before pinning the forestay is written in the manual: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/wavemanual.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys, yes, i think the assembly manual suggests attaching the halyard to the bow fitting, rather than the bridle shackle, either would be fine I guess, great tip on attaching the "non hook" end though to avoid the twisting. I guess the advantage of attaching the halyard to the bridle shackle is that it should bring it nicely into position to be attached to the forestay.

Great, now i just need to get to the gym so i can get the boat on and off the trailer by myself!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy, i tried the solo rigging thing yesterday with mixed results. The halyard on the bridle shackle was fine and held the mast fine but seemed to get the bridle into an awkward position to attach forestay. I could not seem to easily get it into position to put the clevis pin in.

The unfortunate thing was that i managed to drop the clevis pin in the sand.............could not find it and had no spares (there is a lesson!), so with family waiting on the beach made the drive to the local delaer to buy some spare clevis pins, so we did get on the water but about an hour and a half after we should have been :(

I ended up getting my wife to attached the pin.....defeated!

So, i guess i just need more practice? :shock: and always have spares!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think we've all managed to drop the pin in the sand, or onto a hard surface where it bounces off into another dimension :x

I'm not sure how best to explain it, but since the halyard pulley is higher than the forestay hound, I tie the halyard thru the shroud extender and shackle, so that the rope and knot are above the pin holes. This points the shroud extender down a bit, and lines things up better for pinning.

The other thing to remember, the rig doesn't need to be very tight. Not like a typical monohull. So just pin it where it's easy to insert. Folks who race Waves always keep the rig really loose and sloppy. For recreational sailing, it gets a little noisy if you get into powerboat chop and the mast starts flopping around; but I'll just grab a shroud and pull it tight until the chop subsides.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:52 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Super easy here a quick video we did a while back
http://sunjammers.com/page/view/32

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello
One question, the guy on the video says "go sailing" ...
Is the tensions of the shrouds really ok? I think he has to give first more tension to the shrouds, means to open the whole thing again?

Thanks for info

Michael