Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As a future owner of a TI or is it TAI?
I need to start thinking how I am going to transport it.
I am owner of a Tandem Outfitter and my wife and I are able to lift it up on the truck rack.

Because of the weight and length of the TI I do not think that would be possible or very tough at the least to use my existing truck rack.

I have thought about a custom made truck rack with an assist hoist to lift the TI up on the rack but, do not have a design and have not found a product that could do that.

Of course, the better option is probably a trailer.

My ideas range from getting a trailer from the Kayak store, or an aftermarket or modifying a used trailer (used boat trailer or flatbed?). I have looked through and seen many great looking and functional trailers for the AI on this site and seems like some of these ideas could be used with the TI as well.

If I go the trailer route I would like to be able to carry 2 TIs.

Open to all ideas and suggestions, feel free to post your thoughts and ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have the trailer that will work for 'Two' TI's in the catalog now - just with 96" crossbars (est. available around March) and the optional TI cradle kit. Both these items will be available with the Boat's release around end of the quarter - see your dealer for details!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks.
I think they mentioned that to me, will ask them more about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Mark,

I have got an Outfitter as well and I don't feel like lifting when loading it up to my Grand Cherokee's roof rack. So I use a very simple method to load it all by myself.
Here is what I do: I place the kayak next to my Jeep about 2/3 extending back from the rear bumper, standing on its side. Then, I grab the mid-handle with my left hand and I help lift the kayak with my right hand placed inside the front cavity where the mirage drive goes. While lifting, I also rotate the kayak so it ends up upside down supported by the edge of the roof. I forgot to mention that I have already placed a thick mat on that location so I don't scratch the car.
Now you just have to lift the rear of the kayak and slowly slide it forward and you are done. This is much easier on your spine because you are only lifting half of the weight at any given time. Your spouse will thank you as well for not involving her in the lifting process. I don't have a TAI yet (just started the salivating process, maybe I'll wait to get a used one at a discount price later) but I'm assuming the loading process will be similar. I don't want to use a trailer when the roof rack does the job, keep it simple.

Regards,

Eno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Eno for your suggestions.

I think I might be able do the approach you suggest with the Outfitter, but I am not sure I could do this with the TI as it is a heavy beast.

I too was kind of hoping to not have to get a trailer, I like the simplicity of just racking the yak on my truck.

Do you have a sail for you Outfitter, cause that is what got us hooked on sailing. Cant wait for the TI to arrive!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Eno's approach wouldn't work with an AI or a TI, because of the crossbars. The boat would need to be slid onto the roofrack while upright, then flipped over. The flipping over is moderately challenging with an AI. I dread to think what it would be like with a TI. It would probably be more practical to use cradles or pads and carry it upright.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think you are right, TAI might be a whole new game at 160lbs! I love my Outfitter because I'm able to take my wife and our 4 years old daughter on it. I do have the sail and it's fun. While the speed is nowhere near the AI, the "cool" factor is priceless when you see the confused expressions on the faces of conventional kayakers or even expensive yachts owners anchored in the Intracoastal waterway.

The sail is a big help though when I go fishing out in the ocean to the local reefs here in Delray Beach, FL. The reefs are about 1 mile offshore and be the time you drift you end up covering some 3 miles overall so coming back, I unfurl the sail and it helps a lot since I only need to pedal a very slow pace to achieve 3.5-4mil/h. I also have the amas for sailing.

I too have had my eye on an AI for some time now and I'm glad I waited since now the TAI is going to be available. I haven't tried yet the AI but it must be a blast judging from the videos on youtube.

Have you tried the AI yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

chrisj wrote:
Eno's approach wouldn't work with an AI or a TI, because of the crossbars. The boat would need to be slid onto the roofrack while upright, then flipped over. The flipping over is moderately challenging with an AI. I dread to think what it would be like with a TI. It would probably be more practical to use cradles or pads and carry it upright.

Hi chrisj,

I too have a crossbar installed in the middle of my Outfitter for attaching the amas. All I have to do when the crossbar approaches the rack, is lift a little bit and continue to push the kayak until it clears the rack. In the case of the AI you would have to lift twice to clear both crossbars.

Now that I'm thinking, the TAI should be not much different because even though the gross weight is 160lbs, if you take off the amas it should come down to 100lbs probably. I still think it's manageable as far as lifting one end at a time by yourself.

Anyway, it remains to be tested and according to my budget it will be sometime :).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good point Chris.

I think I have settled on the fact the using a trailer for the TI is the best approach.

I think in the time vs money dept. that going with the trailer the Hobie dealer offers for the TI will be a good option. Maybe not the cheapest route but then it would be done.

So, I change my question to :
1) Buy the Hobie trailer
2) Buy another brand
3) Modify a used trailer

Still open to other suggestions and comments...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the same trailer as arathorn357 refers to in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=13783
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25510729@N03/4212389096/
I am looking at modifying it to suit - as well as the possibility of rooftopping - however I think that will need additional mechanical assistance - maybe a thule hullavator :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't imagine car topping a TI. It is quite long and heavy. However, the AI works. Following up the talk about methods of getting the boat up, I just wanted to mention that I obtained an accessory for my yakima racks last year that I've found very helpful. It is an interior pole that snugs into my front yakima cross bar. When you want to get the boat up or down, you extend this pole. Effectively it make one cross bar nearly half again as wide. With the bar extended you push the front of the AI onto the extension pole and let it rest there. Then you take the stern of the AI and bring it down to the ground. The AI is now positioned with the bow up on the extension bar and the stern on the ground. Grab the bow and ease it to the ground. Reverse to put the boat up. And when the boat is up, you stow the extension bar. Without this bar, which takes most of the weight of the boat, putting the AI on the roof would probably negate my health insurance. The AI is a heavy boat, and of course the TI weighs considerably more.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

timo wrote:
I can't imagine car topping a TI. It is quite long and heavy. However, the AI works. Following up the talk about methods of getting the boat up, I just wanted to mention that I obtained an accessory for my yakima racks last year that I've found very helpful. It is an interior pole that snugs into my front yakima cross bar. When you want to get the boat up or down, you extend this pole. Effectively it make one cross bar nearly half again as wide. With the bar extended you push the front of the AI onto the extension pole and let it rest there. Then you take the stern of the AI and bring it down to the ground. The AI is now positioned with the bow up on the extension bar and the stern on the ground. Grab the bow and ease it to the ground. Reverse to put the boat up. And when the boat is up, you stow the extension bar. Without this bar, which takes most of the weight of the boat, putting the AI on the roof would probably negate my health insurance. The AI is a heavy boat, and of course the TI weighs considerably more.

I have a similar lifting bar that I extend from the rear rack which enables me to lift the stern up onto the roof prior to lifting the bow. Taking it down is simply the reverse - bow down whilst stern is supported by the bar, followed by stern.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey, I'd get one of those vertical support rods for the Rack&Roll bar before attempting to load a TI on the roof. That, and a good quality hernia support brace, and you're ready to go :lol:.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TxYakMan

I bought an old Hobie 16 and trailer on Craigslist for $300 and then sold the Hobie for parts for $350...I modified the trailer for my two AIs by moving the xbar and adding Pirate's pillows made from an old closed cell foam cushion I had from an old boat...(thanks again Pirate)...added a small truck tool box for mirage drives and extra parts etc..the trailer works great...It's a little "overkill" but I've heard that "There's no kill like overkill"...Where are you located in Texas?
Ron

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ron,
That looks great. Thanks for the post.
The TI is 18.5 feet do you think they would fit on that trailer?
I live near Kendalia, not too far way from Canyon Lake.
Mark.