Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was thinking about it as i'm dealing with all this bridge drama. but would it be possible to lower the mast and motor under a low bridge while on the water?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a similar problem.

I have a nice ramp with an adjacent small grassy/sandy area to rig the boat about 12 mi. from my house. However, I must navigate a very narrow channel with two 90 degree turns and exposed and submerged pilings in a number of locations to get to the river. I would rather use another ramp only 2 mi. from my house, but there is a low bridge between the ramp and the river. Plus there is no beach by the ramp and no place on the river side of the bridge to beach and rig the boat.

While I could probably muscle the mast up and use the jib halyard to temporarily hold it, I'm not sure I could easily reach the bridle/forestay adjuster to connect forestay and reconnect the halyard to the jib.

And how do you hook and unhook the main halyard from the stop when you are close to the mast? Any wind would make this whole evolution even more difficult.

And of course I would need to do everything in reverse when done sailing.

Does anyone do this?

How do you do it?

Can it be done singlehanded?

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i guess that i should add that i have a 21sc so i have a gin pole setup that uses the main sheet to raise and lower. But it would be a great setup for any boat! I was thinking about the rocking might be a problem or maby the weight of the mast hanging off the back.

Ps if a mod wants to move this to the 21sc section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The first thing that comes to mind is how readily you raise and lower the mast when you are 'not' on the water?

Then I would consider all of the dynamics that 'may' come into play while on the water, such as wind, waves, current, weather, other boats, obstacles, crew physical condition, and so on.

If you crack the code on how to raise and lower the mast while under float, please share!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Since you have a motor you could (this would be a LOT of work) beach it prior to the bridge and again after. Then you could raise and lower using the main sheet as per the video.

Open water with boat wakes, wind and waves are just asking for some massive uncontrolled mast swings, followed by a demasting and a diaper change for all on board.

Don't do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

heard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Elf -

Where are you putting in, and what is your destination?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to live in florida and did many long distance runs. Went from west palm out to the bahamas. did another trip from glades city out to key west when i lived down south.

So far in NJ i have been out in Pecks bay. But i am eye balling barnegate bay, the deleware between Cape May and Cape Henlopen. and down thru the chesapeak from Anapolis to Virginia beach.

the more i can do with the boat. Ie, shallow water, droppign the mast, small fuel efficient motor. the more water is opened up to me. Just like to keep the options open though i haven't accually ran into the theoretical low bridge yet.

I have learned doing the mast the past four times that trying to raise on the water would be suicide.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

you mention a "fuel efficient motor" ONE WORD!
TORQEEDO!!!!!
I now have two and love em!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What's the battery life on those motors? How far can you run before the battery is dead? How about dunking them?? Is there a way to connect a small solar panel to them for a trickle charge while you're out on the water? I looked at them and wondered......

I just saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0utXxauZOso
Will this fit inside the cabin on the SC?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

first off go to torqeedo's web page!
lots of info on battery life for each model.
here in cinci we don't really get enough wave action to dunk anything (though the cheeta mounts are dangerously low)
they put solar panels on one to go out to catalina island...its all there o the web page.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

:roll:
Sorry, I'm used to using Amazon for reviews and not just accepting the manufacturers lab results vs. real world applications. I think that's what others here would want to know as well. Fact vs. fiction. I don't care about the results from a 7' inflatable, or a 32' monohull. I doubt their website can tell me how far/fast one of their motors will push a H21SC. The thought of pitchpoling electronics into salt water just doesn't seem like a good idea either, so maybe this isn't the motor for me when the bug to buy a kicker bites.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the "Catalina challenge" Torqeedo did was with a Hobie getaway.
my travel model has has a modular battery pack (never pitch poled the boat) and it doesnt seem to mind water much...take the time and read the page...it's pretty revolutionary, and the on "fiction" i've encountered is that the prop pierces the the bag.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unsafe not a good idea a good way to get hurt a good way to damage a great boat this could ruin your day this could cost you a lot of money

There must be a body of water in the northeast that is favorable to sailing a hobie
Sometimes
I have gone past some water to get to a suitable sailing area. The closest body of water is not necessarly the best. Going under the bridge by lowering the mast is a BAD idea you will be sorry. Find some better water it is easy to pull a trailer and find a good place

Way back when in a friends sunfish we tried to go under a bridge with the sails up This did not turn out well at all

Gary :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes not a good idea to play with the up and down of a mast on water= Danger.
http://beachcatsaustralia.ning.com/