Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My H14T
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

im trying to find out what year model my Hobie 14T is?
does anyone know how i do this?
i have looked around for mod plates and all that stuff...
cant find anything..

My H14t

currently being sanded back and repainted..

Post subject: Re: My H14T
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:48 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

If it's older than 1973, there will be a number stamped on the outside of each forward pylon, just below the corner casting. Probably 3 or 4 digits. There's no way of telling exactly what year it was made, but we can guess based on the number.

If it's 1973 or older, the number will be on the transom, just under the deck lip, or behind the rudder pin. The last two numbers in the serial number are the model year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've also wondered about mine, I kind of need it for insurance purposes. There is a sticker on the side saying "Turbo" inside the stripes that go the length of the hulls. It doesn't look like a previous owner put it on. I thought the Turbos where only made after '83. Anyway no sign of anything on the transoms, might be painted over, but I do have a number stamped outside on both pylons but it's the aft ones. I'm at work now so can't remember what it was but it's 4 digits. Something like 1020. Can't imagine it being older than '73 something about it just screams 80's.

Am I right that Hobies used to be manufactured locally here in Australia, so they may have a different numbering system?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Clear annodized aluminum... 4 digits stamped on the pylons... blue deck / white hulls... I'm guessing 73 or older that has a jib kit / Turbo kit installed on it.

Yes, Hobie's have been made in Australia and still are. We have a facility in Huskisson NSW.

http://www.hobiecat.com.au/

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can't see anything on the transom (I presume you mean where the travelling block runs) or on the pylons. Above the forward pylons on the corner casting are the digits 1076. Does this mean it is from 1976. It definitley looks that vintage. Also mine is a standard H14 (not turbo).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oops I may have hijacked the thread here. Mine isn't the one in the pics above with the blue hulls. This is my one below:

Last edited by xnomad on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So the Aft pylons have 1021 on them. I'm confused by the Turbo sticker and that the stamped numbers are on the aft pylon. So is that definitely the hull number I have to put in my insurance forms, seeing as they are on the aft pylons, or should I try scrape paint off the transoms and look for others?

Also did they sell sticker kits back then with Turbo upgrades? I can't imagine selling customers long hull stickers like that as they would be difficult to put on straight, just a Turbo sticker yes, but not the long stripes? That's why I reckon those were put on during the manufacturing process.

You see my Cat at the moment isn't really a Turbo it only has the Dolphin Striker and the wire between the chain plates for the jib blocks. So I would have thought it was bought brand new as a Turbo and that the turbo gear got trashed by previous owners.

Maybe when the Jib needed replacing they couldn't afford a new one so sold the blocks and trapeze to someone else. Or they didn't want the hassle of a jib and swapped with someone who did. It wouldn't make sense to buy an expensive Turbo upgrade and then get rid of it or not maintain it somehow. So I thought if Turbo's weren't officially made until 1983 that it would be from around then. For what it's worth the sail number is 24889, a nice 5 batten rainbow mainsail.

If it is 1973 or older that's way older than me! :-D The hulls don't leak one bit and seem very sturdy, no soft spots at all, not what I'd expect for a boat that's nearly 40 or older!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i found my numbers... they were on the front pylons.. the number is 1548..
so do u have an idea what year my Hobie is?
does this mean the turbo kit was added by a previous owner..

My H14t

currently being sanded back and repainted..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:26 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

xnomad wrote:
So the Aft pylons have 1021 on them. I'm confused by the Turbo sticker and that the stamped numbers are on the aft pylon. So is that definitely the hull number I have to put in my insurance forms, seeing as they are on the aft pylons, or should I try scrape paint off the transoms and look for others?

Also did they sell sticker kits back then with Turbo upgrades? I can't imagine selling customers long hull stickers like that as they would be difficult to put on straight, just a Turbo sticker yes, but not the long stripes? That's why I reckon those were put on during the manufacturing process.

You see my Cat at the moment isn't really a Turbo it only has the Dolphin Striker and the wire between the chain plates for the jib blocks. So I would have thought it was bought brand new as a Turbo and that the turbo gear got trashed by previous owners.

Maybe when the Jib needed replacing they couldn't afford a new one so sold the blocks and trapeze to someone else. Or they didn't want the hassle of a jib and swapped with someone who did. It wouldn't make sense to buy an expensive Turbo upgrade and then get rid of it or not maintain it somehow. So I thought if Turbo's weren't officially made until 1983 that it would be from around then. For what it's worth the sail number is 24889, a nice 5 batten rainbow mainsail.

If it is 1973 or older that's way older than me! :-D The hulls don't leak one bit and seem very sturdy, no soft spots at all, not what I'd expect for a boat that's nearly 40 or older!

Without seeing some more details, I would guess the following:
- Black anodized aluminum was not introduced until 1976.
- The bow tangs look like (hard to tell in the photo) the single bolt version vs. the four bolt version - that would place it at about 1983
- The hull stripes / turbo stickers appear to be aftermarket. I've never seen any like them, but that may be an Aussie factory thing.
- The dolphin striker appears to be OEM - that would also put it in the early 80's.

If it's got rake adjustable rudder castings, then that places it to at least 1983.

My guess is 1983 - 1985. Don't know what happened to the original HIN, but it should be on the transoms. Don't know what the number on the rear pylon is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:27 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

TravDawg wrote:
i found my numbers... they were on the front pylons.. the number is 1548..
so do u have an idea what year my Hobie is?
does this mean the turbo kit was added by a previous owner..

My guess would be 1969 - 70.

Turbo kit was definitely aftermarket.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Serial number location FAQ: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1155

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
Without seeing some more details, I would guess the following:
- Black anodized aluminum was not introduced until 1976.
- The bow tangs look like (hard to tell in the photo) the single bolt version vs. the four bolt version - that would place it at about 1983
- The hull stripes / turbo stickers appear to be aftermarket. I've never seen any like them, but that may be an Aussie factory thing.
- The dolphin striker appears to be OEM - that would also put it in the early 80's.

If it's got rake adjustable rudder castings, then that places it to at least 1983.

My guess is 1983 - 1985. Don't know what happened to the original HIN, but it should be on the transoms. Don't know what the number on the rear pylon is.

lol I'm starting to wonder if it's a collection of cannabilsed parts.
The bow tangs are 4 bolt.
Rudders don't adjust for rake, neither do the upper castings.
I have the Sail Color History pdf, I know the mainsail might be 'newer' or from a different boat but it appears to be the 'Tequila Sunrise' although mine doesn't have blue at the top. It starts at red like the Tequila Sunrise jib in the pdf. The hulls are off-white but I'm wondering if they were once yellow and got bleached by the sun and then got painted over. If they were yellow it would fit the 'Tequila Sunrise'. So maybe it's '78'ish?? My trailer is a '77 but that's not a solid indicator.

Anyway I'll just have to pop the 1021 on the insurance forms and guess with 1978. I only want 3rd party cover in case I drop the mast on someone, also there are tightly packed armada of moored boats to get through at some boat ramps here in Sydney, I don't want to bump into one without insurance either!