Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i12 Speed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, Anyone can tell me the average speed of the i12? I mean with pedals, paddles and sail? Thanks

Post subject: Re: i12 Speed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:47 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

That's a difficult question to answer. Take two identical boats with different motors and you'll get two different results.

It might be more meaningful to offer some comparative speeds -- at least the motor will be the same! At cruising speeds in still water, no wind or current with Turbofins, the i-12s is about 1 MPH slower than a Hobie Adventure and about .3 or .4 MPH faster than the I-9s. In sailing and paddling modes, the comparisons would be roughly similar. Obviously upwind hull exposure to wind and chop would favor the Adventure more and downwind the gap would likely shrink.

The i-12s has some excellent compensatory characteristics for it's lack of stellar speed -- excellent stability, huge load capacity and easy transportability. A friend takes his i-12s surfing -- something I would never try with the Adventure!

Hope that helps. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes I know is a difficult question, but thanks for the answer!!

I'm planning a trip to lake Powell next October. I'm gonna buy my i12 in two month, so I just want to start planning my trip. What I have in mind is to paddle 20-25 miles daily. But I can't make any calculations until I try my kayak in my local lake in two months. Suggestions are welcome!!! thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

20 miles a day with no water movement (lake conditions) will be a task with any type of kayak. But it can be done...The real questions is how many days will you be able to keep up the 20 mile a day pace? Food, Water, Sun.... all will take a toll on your body... what shape is the other person(S) in? Have to take that in consideration too!!! Good Luck

Last edited by Thinwater skinner on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You perfectly right!!! I'm training in order to complete at least 15 miles. I'm going alone. A will carry sufficient water and food for 4-5 days. I already take considerations on weather (temperature and winds), what food and the amounts I must eat. But I really appreciate your commentaries and tips.
Thanks again