Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Hobie (I live near Raleigh NC) and am planning to teach my family to sail (Wife, 15yr old and 10yr old). My question is around space and sailability of a 14 with 2 on board (I aint no skinny dude :) )

Is it practical or should I go with a 16? I have sailed a lot in my life (always monohulls to this point) but my family have never sailed. Thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

16 is the way to go.

More than 200 lbs on a 14 and it's more underwater than above it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hobies can be tricky to tak..
but they are great fun and you can fly the hull.
i would go for the 16..
14 was only really a solo boat

My H14t

currently being sanded back and repainted..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Guys - so on the 16, are they sailable with a light crew and no trap? My family are very new to sailing so sticking them on a wire would likely not be the cleverest thing I could ever do

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:58 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

drummer63 wrote:
Thanks Guys - so on the 16, are they sailable with a light crew and no trap? My family are very new to sailing so sticking them on a wire would likely not be the cleverest thing I could ever do

Sure - just go easy. A lot of people never use the trapeze, but the kids will love it. Get them out on a day when it's not blowing hard and just let them go out on the wire to fool around.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 16 it is.
A great all around family boat for the lake or ocean
Very very tough will tale a lot of use and even abuse
Parts are easy to get

The 14 is great for one sometimes two very slim people

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So you're a tubby sailor aye...well don't let the skinnies talk you out of getting a hobie cat. All my brothers and I have been sailing these things for over 30 years and we're all big guys and can still fly a hull just as high and far as the little twig people!
Don't go for anything smaller than a sixteen and if you're only in it to cruise the family around on a weekend afternoons, I would look for a Hobie 18 with wings! They are far more comfortable for bigger people and can easily tote your entire crew around.
Be aware that buying a Hobie Cat your family is about to embark on an addiction that can consume them forever! There are a couple things you may want to do before you take them out for the first time.... like learn to sail.
If you're truly committed to this get yourself a Hobie 16 or 18 and take it out with just you and the wife, or better yet you and a buddy and learn how to set it up, take it down, and the basics of sailing (might want to pick up a book or two) you'll also want to intentionally flip it a couple times in deep water so you can learn how to stand her back up. Once you get the hang of it, take the family out and show them a good time... .
You don't want the family's first experience to scare them or confirm that you have zero idea of what you are doing. A bad first experience may turn them off and they won't want to go again and you've now got yourself a rather large lawn ornament!!
However, if you've got a wild hair anywhere on your person, get yourself the 16 and when the wind really starts to howl leave the kids at home and take it out with a solid first mate or by yourself and it will give you the ride of your life.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I say go for an 18 because you could then fit the whole family on the boat comfortably and stay drier than the 14 or 16. I rig and sail my 18 by myself all the time. The tough part is raising the mast, other than that all the difficult parts can be overcome by intelligence and leverage.

The 18 can also have wings to seat the family high and dry. The 14 or 16 will be like sitting on the floor.

Either way your kids will have so much fun they will think your super dad, they might even ask, "Why do people sail mono hull's if cats are so much faster and funner?"