Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: broken mast
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last year I purchased a second hand hobie 16 (see pictures here: http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _album.php )

The guy who sold it to me "forgot" to mention that the mast was broken and rebuild from 2 deferent parts (see pictures here http://www.qcm.co.il/mast )
The fixing is 1 feet below the tang.
The mast is not water tight at all (both parts move)

My questions are:

Is it safe?
Can it hold the pressures?
Is it common to rebuild a broken mast like this?
What could happen to the crew or the boat in case the mast broke while sailing?

My biggest concern is for my 3 year old and my 6 year old boy's safety.

Thanks,

Erez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boat looks in pretty good condition, In my humble opinion you have two choices a) see if you can find a good used mast some where. b) see if you can salvage the mast that you have. Looking at the pictures it looks like someone has riveted some aluminum pieces inside the mast. The repair doesn't look too bad. Certainly the repair should handle the compression loads ok, I think the problem will be with mast bend, the mast is designed to bend uniformly over the length of the mast. Where the splice is the mast may not bend correctly putting offsetting loads where they don't belong. A mast failure under sail is not a good thing especially with small children on board, if it was me I would go for option "a" there are lots of used masts around for reasonable prices.

Post subject: scrap that bad boy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yea dude get your sawsall, scrap that bad boy.
Put the cash twards a new mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

2 - Part mast... IIRC Euro hobies can be purchased with a two-piece mast (it is an option for 200 euros extra). I do not know if those are available for many years or if this is some more current development. I also have not seen one of those masts. Make sure you do not have one of those.

A new mast is probably out of the question ... IIRC those cost >$1000.00 The boat looks like an early to mid 80's Hobie - a used mast might be the best option.

IMHO I would not use the mast in its current condition for two reasons...
A leaking mast could result in turteling ... something that you could not fix without outside help.
You have now idea how and what holds those two pices of mast together. If you are willing to drill out the rivets and investigate how the repair was done, you could make a more educated decision regarding the masts future. Sealing the mast with some foam plugs would not be a problem if you would decide that the sleeve inside the mast would be a sufficient repair.

Patrick