Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New class rules
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

OK, so I installed the mast rotator last week and got to try it out this weekend. I have to say, it didn't have the downwind advantage that I thought it would, but I do believe it helped with a better sail shape. I really didn't let it loose down wind and only had it to tune the sail shape upwind. I did catch myself pulling on it downwind to get the mast to over rotate, though. Now, that gave a much better shape, but you have to hold it. I'm thinking about rigging some kind of bungee, but I don't know it that would fly.

Granted, the winds were in the 10-plus range, so the mast rotated on it's own. I think it will really help in the lighter stuff.

I had to grind off about 3/4 of an inch off of the mast base to get it to rotate. That left maybe a half-inch piece of metal sticking up. It looks funny, but it works.

The new 6:1 downhaul is very convenient, too. You can make micro adjustments and really crack off on the downhaul down wind with ease. It beats trying to recleat it like the old style. Being a 6:1, though, it makes for an additional long piece of string on the tramp.

I haven't done the outhaul, yet. I really don't see the need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Finally, a review of the new class legal products. I am thinking about the downhaul, but with no one to race against really its kind of pointless. Also, having to file 3/4" off the mast step to use the rotation arm is kind of a pain, since I just installed a new one to prevent my mast from over rotating! I also don't see the need for the new outhaul. It bairly does anything as is. Maybe with more ability to put tension on the sail it will work better.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I keep telling you to make it over to the beach! We had 5 Hobie 14s in the last regatta!

To me, the outhaul does tighten the foot of the sail (of course) but it induces rotation as well. I just pull it tight and forget about it.

If you have the mast rotator, it limits the rotation, so you won't over rotate. Going down wind, it allows the mast to almost point to the forward castings!

Too bad we can't have a downhaul that can exit from both sides of the mast. There are a lot of times when I'm out on the wire and I wish I could play with the downhaul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Man, I really should get down their. If it wasn't four hours away, I'd be their every weekend! Plus, I can't drive yet (basically my choice), so that makes it even harder. I haven't sailed my boat since august, but have sailed practically 5 days a week since then...sailing practice three days a week and some event on saturday and/or sunday. Kind of scary how fast you improve when you have the best college team in the nation coaching you and you sail against the third best high school team in the nation on weekends. This weekend we don't have a high school regatta, but it looks like I'll be sailing a windmill all day sat. and sunday.

I feel the downhaul rule was implemented for the 16's really, since the crew could be adjusting it all the time. I don't think hobie wanted that much adjustment, just an easier way to change the downhaul when you start going downwind. I'm still getting the hang of skippering while on a trap wire (need to put some grip tape, which I have, on the rail, so I don't go slidding off so easily when a 4 foot wave hits me, also need a foot strap on the back hull), so I haven't really been thinking of littler things like downhaul while out their. Plus, I need a new sail before I start buying extra's like the race kit.

Sam