Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Righting the SX18 turtle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well it had to happen this past weekend while sailing in heavy air my sx18 went belly up for the first time. My crew and I weigh in at 350lbs and could not get the boat on its side without a third person to help us (the wings made it difficult). I need some expert advice from some of the gurus in this forum on any tips to make this easier. I could buy a papa Bob but I don´t like to. Also, can someone tell me exactly how to rig the blue-white elastic righting line ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Get both yourself and crew to sit as far back (or forward) on the lower of the hulls. By this I mean *right* at the end and sometimes it feels like it virtually sinks. The boat will roll onto it's side. If you are on the down wind side, the breeze will also assist.

Michael

Al wrote:
Well it had to happen this past weekend while sailing in heavy air my sx18 went belly up for the first time. My crew and I weigh in at 350lbs and could not get the boat on its side without a third person to help us (the wings made it difficult). I need some expert advice from some of the gurus in this forum on any tips to make this easier. I could buy a papa Bob but I don´t like to. Also, can someone tell me exactly how to rig the blue-white elastic righting line ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Al,

I had the righting line question earlier this year, if you want to use "big blue"

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2006

I do not know if I did the link properly, if not, look back in this index for the Post title Righting line installation Thu July 7 05 author John Eaton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys for the advice, sounds logical to apply inverse principle of a roll tack to get the boat on its side easier. John, thanks for the thread. My righting line was bought for the 18 and did not come with the s/s rings shown on the catalog. I'll buy some and tie them to the daggerboard holes in the hull's. No wonder I had it wrong!

Post subject: H18 Turtle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depending on wind, wave, wings, etc, another method is to grab onto a shroud while you are swimming alongside the turtled H18. With your own bouyancy, plus the bouyancy of the PFD (aka life jacket), it is possible to 'hand over hand' along the shroud (towards the mast) to bring the mast to horizontal. Gloves help. Two people doing it help even more.

I will be installing my new (used) Hobie Bob this weekend for two reasons: one, to prevent turtles, and two, if/when we do capsize, the mast tends to sit a fraction higher on the surface of the water with the Bob, making righting easier. Less surface tension on the sail etc.

Good winds