Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking for interest in forming another Amarda and going on an overnighter down the Central Coast way. Open to suggestions at this stage but I'm in the process of organising a Tassy trip later in the year and need some practice at setting the AI up for camping. That Broken Bay trip a few of us did last year was brilliant, so wouldn't mind doing something similar but with an overnight stop. Can't remember what the camping rules are down and around Jeruselum and America Bays ? I'd like to do it within the next month if possible.

Anyone keen ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Last edited by Slaughter on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm, interesting. :)

Might be keen on this. Are we talking tents or AI hammocks? If it's tents then I've got a small hiking jobbie stashed away in my collection.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Slaughter, the camping rules for America Bay and Jerusalem Bay are: you can't, as they're within Kuringai Chase National Park :( . The only permitted camping area in the park is Coaster's Retreat, on Pittwater (crowded, noisy). That's why I use my on-board hammock and stay wherever I like. There may be other places in Broken Bay where you could pitch a tent. I'd be interested in a joint venture some time in the next month.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How about a Broughton Island overnighter? :)
At the end of this month I will be interstate but could do a trip to BI any time up till then.
I'd prefer weekdays but would fit in with what the majority want.
It would be great if we could pick a time with low swell so we could explore the sea caves!
Anyone got any long term weather forecast tips?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BI probably sounds better for me. Somewhere different, less restrictions, ocean practice which I need, and I havent got a AI hammock so I was planning on using my hiking tent. Probably the only bummer may be the seas at the moment. I'll see what I can find out. I'm free anytime but just need a weeks notice if it's a couple of days mid week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
How about a Broughton Island overnighter? :)
At the end of this month I will be interstate but could do a trip to BI any time up till then.
I'd prefer weekdays but would fit in with what the majority want.
It would be great if we could pick a time with low swell so we could explore the sea caves!
Anyone got any long term weather forecast tips?

If it were to be an overnighter, I wonder if it would be better to sail up from Port Stephens (~17km), rather than be dependent on the surf conditions at Little Gibba.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Could be the go Chris. If we left the cars and launched in a Beach Rd Shoal Bay it would be a straight 2km run out through the heads. Or we drive up closer and chance launching where it's vulnerable to the weather. Is that little tit off the mainland beach adjasent to BI, Little Gibber ? If it is then could we launch in off the southern side which could be protected or do the waves come right round the point ? I've only been there once. The long walk over sand dunes loaded up with camping gear doesn't really excite me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
If it were to be an overnighter, I wonder if it would be better to sail up from Port Stephens (~17km), rather than be dependent on the surf conditions at Little Gibba.

I was thinking the same Chris.
From Sandy Point it's only about 3kms to the island but you have to drag the gear about 100m over a sandhill and then battle the surf to get out. If it picks up while we're on the island then landing is a problem.
I like Slaughters idea. The 17km or so trip from Shoal Bay would be the safer option I think. If the swell gets up I'd much rather face it offshore!
The 2-3 hour trip from SB may actually end up being quicker than launching from Sandy Point especially if we are heading for the campsite in Esmerelda Cove. It would also be a more scenic trip.
I'm keen and if others are thinking about it as well here is an older post that may help you decide! :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=9451&p=48798

Last edited by stringy on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a couple more pics I found:

Visiting Cons Cleft has long been an objective of mine:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I remember your BI post Stringy. I'm gett'n excited. If it looks like a weekend trip then the 20th / 21st would be best for me. ( my niece is out from the UK the weekend before so I had better play the good host ). How does that fit with everyone ? There are big seas at the moment up the Gold Coast way but not so bad here at the moment. There are heaps of surfers here at work so I'll get the forcasts on sea conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's something to be said for doing it during the week - there would be a lot fewer stink-boats hanging around the island than on the weekend. I must also declare an ulterior motive - I'm doing a catamaran sailing course on Sunday mornings for the next few weeks, though I guess it wouldn't really be the end of the earth to miss one lesson. Any comments from CGM?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

'Catamaran Sailing Course' ........you traitor. :cry: No, I'm sure we can work around it mate. It's a good point about the stink boats and if weekdays are OK for you Chris, then I'm fine with it. My visitors arrive on the 10th and leave on the 18th so any time outside of that is great for me. How about the Friday and Saturday 19th and 20th ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Think I like the 17K sail rather than 100m of skull dragging the AI across sand and surf. I'll talk to the guys at work and see what time I can get off. Got some people going on leave soon but I don't think it'll clash.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just checked at work and unfortunatly I'm going to be on-call that weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:
Just checked at work and unfortunatly I'm going to be on-call that weekend.

Can you get any time off during the week?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next