Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Cowsgomoo wrote:
Just checked at work and unfortunatly I'm going to be on-call that weekend.

Can you get any time off during the week?

Might be able to do the following week. What about everyone else?
Go people away during the week and I'll need to be about.

After that I've got guys going on 2x 4 week holidays. Don't know if I'll get much sailing in at all :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are talking the weekdays from the 22nd to the 25th then I'm OK with that. 28th to 4th my visitors are back so I'm out of the equation in that period. But I think that our tour guide is away at the end of the month anyway. Where are you Stringy ?

While we are waiting for him to grace us with his presence, have you blokes actually done the 'sleeping on board' thing yet, and if so how have you done it ie: what gear did you use, did it work, after 5 minutes did you wish you were home in bed, did you get wet etc.

This setup lookes good with a bit of refinement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLoXdtGo ... re=related

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I've slept on board several times: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13400&p=89561&hilit=Stingray#p89561
It's difficult getting inside a sleeping bag in the hammock, but with an undercover for the hammock, all you need is a small pillow and a blanket (or you can just put the sleeping bag over you, like a blanket). The only other thing needed is a small towel, to dry your feet when you get up into the hammock. I find it quite comfortable. I'll show you, if (when) we make it to Broughton Island.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If it's the weekend of 20-21 Feb or 27-28, I can probably join you as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris - Keen on talking to you about it. How did I miss that post ? I'm trying to work out the best sleeping arangements for the Tassy trip and after the Dunns Swamp trip I realised that the older I get the thicker the bedding needs to be. By the time I get to Tassy I'll need to take a Slumberland Miracoil Posupedic mattress.
Couple of questions
Is it a Hennessy ?
If it is, they say you can lay slightly across to centerline to straighten the spine and lay on you side. Is this true ?
What do you use as an anchor ?

okz00k - Hope so. Look forward to meeting you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, it's a Hennessy and you can lie on your side easily in it. I've been using a stakeout pole and staying in shallow water. Not really interested in camping out to sea. If you read through all the Sleeping on Board posts, all that stuff has been discussed in some detail. I don't know how I will go in Esmerelda Cove. If there's a Southerly swell, it could be a bit of a turbulent night on the boat. It also doesn't look like there are any trees to sling the hammock on. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll just pull the boat up onto the sand and sling the hammock there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks mate. I think that may be the best way for me to go. I may have to have a closer look at your connections of PVC pipe to the crossbar. I have some 40X40 Unistrut in aluminium which I was planning to attach to the crossbar with a stauff bracket which I also have. Without doing some calculations I'm sure this will do the trick but then again PVC may be a better option. What lenght do I need to make your 45degree upright to get the right clearance above the hull ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
If you are talking the weekdays from the 22nd to the 25th then I'm OK with that. 28th to 4th my visitors are back so I'm out of the equation in that period.

I can do up to the 28th with a preference for later in the week say from 24th, although if early that week suits others and the weather looks good I could do from 22nd. From what I have heard the weekend can be busy on Broughton with Friday/Saturday nights most popular.
It might even be an idea to leave on a Sunday early afternoon and camp Sunday night.
So should we aim for that last week in Feb from the 21st? :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
What lenght do I need to make your 45degree upright to get the right clearance above the hull ?

1.5 metres is enough to clear the hull, but mine are 1.8 metres long. The extra 300mm is to provide headroom for the flysheet. The reason is that the flysheet can't be winged out as wide on the boat as on land, as it has to be tied to the amas. This makes it sit down over the hammock and feels a bit claustrophobic to me. With the longer uprights, it feels nice and airy and I can see what's going on around me.

Last edited by chrisj on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
I can do up to the 28th with a preference for later in the week say from 24th, although if early that week suits others and the weather looks good I could do from 22nd. From what I have heard the weekend can be busy on Broughton with Friday/Saturday nights most popular.
It might even be an idea to leave on a Sunday early afternoon and camp Sunday night.
So should we aim for that last week in Feb from the 21st? :)

I'd be happy to go with 25th and 26th (Thur/Fri) or 22nd and 23rd (Mon/Tues) (need to be home on evening of 24th).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm good with all of that week and have no real preference for any day so I'll just go with the flow. Beginning or end of a week sounds good so I get 4 straight days off.

Chris, I did a measure up and checked out the pipe at Bunnings. I've got it all pretty right in my mind about the hammock setup except the connection to the crossbar. Did you cut a tee piece to get it on the crossbar then rejoin it ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I cut a tee, but didn't rejoin it. It just lifts on and off.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's some doable dates in there. I'll chase the guys up Monday.
There's a resonable chance of taking a day or 2 at the beginning or end of the week.
Would be nice if we can work it so that Det (okz00k) could make it too.

I've broken out my little tent and sleeping mat to check them out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmm..........thinking.........can I manage to fit this in with my sailing commitments here :roll:
Looks like a great adventure to me.
I may even have to delay our planned trip to Europe for this one - if I can manage to fit it in somehow :roll:
I guess any dates will need a bit of flexibility to accommodate bad weather and I would plan my trip accordingly (if I can manage to make it) :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That would be pretty good if you could make it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next