Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We are pleased to announce that for the first time that a US Sailing Junior Olympics Regatta being hosted by Rock Hall Yacht Club w/ help from Div11 WILL HAVE a H-16 Youth Class on July 10th and 11th along w/ Opti's, Optimists, Laser Radials, Lasers, 420's and Sailboards. The event will be the ATLANTIC COAST H-16 YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP w/ a Perpetual Trophy awarded!!!!! This event is open to all Youths Teams that are US Sailing members and HCA-NA members in good standing. RHYC is located on the Maryland Eastern Shore in Rock Hall MD on the very picturesque Chester River ... free onsite tent camping is allowed, a slight fee for RV's that wish electric hook-ups.

Champions from Div11 will conduct a free Sailing Seminar preceeding the racing on Thurs and Fri (July 8th and 9th).

For more information please go to http://www.rockhallyachtclub.org and click on Junior Olympics ... be sure to go in the archives for pics of regatta's/site

For information on US Sailing membership contact Ms Kate Daily at US Sailing ... mention H-16 Youth/Multihull Council Golden Anchor Program for a discount.

There will be activites like a DJ Dance Party on Saturday night w/ more being scheduled as plans are being finalized

A limited number of "Loaner" boats will be availible from Div11 members for Youth Teams traveling from great distances to attend.

More to follow ........

Harry Murphey
RHYC Member/ Div11-Fleet 54
JO Catamaran Cooridinator
E-Mail: [email protected]

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know im bringing back a old post but are there gonna be anymore junior olympics like this in north america?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dear Young Sailor,

Yes, we hope that this will be the start of the inclusion of Youth Hobie 16's in the Junior Olympics at different sites across the country. In fact Mr Caleb Tarlington is working on the inclusion of a Youth Hobie 16 Class in the Junior Olympics being held during August in Seattle Washington later this year. Hopefully these two events this year will go well and lead to more Junior Olympic events next year including Youths on H16's across the United States. US Sailing was very excited about the inclusion of a catamaran in the JO's when I contacted them earlier this year, and are fully supporting this effort along w/ the HCA-NA also.

Now you can help in this effort, by asking your local sailing authority whom are organizing a JO Regatta near you if they have any plans on including a Youth Catamaran class in their event. Please have them contact Ms.Lee Parks at US Sailing for the details on the inclusion of a Youth H16 Class in their event. Or contact your local Hobie Division Chairperson and have them contact Mr Gordon Bagley/Hobie Youth Chairperson or Mr Chris Wessels/HCA-NA Chairperson.

Now we have a additional "thread" currently active on the "Catsailor" Open Forum ... Caleb and I have both posted there also.

If you wish to attend this years events at Rock Hall Yacht Club JO Regatta or Seattle JO Regatta, please contact us ..... we can arrange for "Loaner" boats from local division members if you can not bring your own boat to the event due to travel issues.

Harry Murphey
[email protected]

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey,
Thank you for the information this is very interesting
Does this include Canada? I live in Vancouver so Im kind of close.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dear Young Sailor,

I have to confess my ignorance about the Canadian sailing organizations. I would suggest that you contact Mr Caleb Tarleton through the Sand Point Sailing Center in Washington (state), USA. He is the gentleman working on having a H16 Youth Class included in the Junior Olympics being organized to be held in August (21st-22nd?) in Seattle.

If I read my maps correctly that would be just a wee bit closer to you then Rock Hall Md is.

If you wish for me to contact Caleb for you, send me an E-Mail at my private E-Mail address listed on my last post and I'll get you in contact w/ him.

Harry

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

After eight months of planning meetings, sending out E-mails , making phone calls, asking favors of many old and new "Hobie Sailors .... it was finally Thurs July 8th. I was both excited and terrified ..... excited that the Hobie Youths were going to compete in a US Sailing JO's for the first time ... and that something would go wrong.

IT WAS A FANTASTIC EVENT!!!!!

We had (8) teams of Hobie Youths competing w/ one team coming traveling as far as from SailSandPoint-Seattle Washington. Fleets 250, 54, 204, 443 and Potomac River Sailing Center were also represented.

The HCA-NA and its members were a big part of making this event the resounding success that it was .... Jimmy Glanden loaned out a boat ... and loaned out his RV .... taught in the "Training Seminar" .... and made a BEAUTIFUL perpetual trophy of hand-turned local walnut, out of a piece of wood saved for 40yrs!!!! Wally (do I have to mention a last name??) came and along w/ Jimmy ... and Sue and Tom Korzenieski's ... and Matt Bounds ... and Bill Colgan ... and some RHYC members conducted a "Training Seminar" that was both off-the-water and on-the-water on Friday .... Geoff Becker came by on Friday also, to give a rules and tactics talk (unfortunately we ran out of time and energy before he could start) A lunch of hamburgers and hotdogs were provided for the youths by the HCA-NA ....and cooked by RHYC volunteers. The coaching continued through-out the event w/ Tom K and JC further coaching on Sunday as the "on-the-water lunches were passed out from a "Mark Boat" .....

Did I mention that Matt Bounds had flown in to be the PRO for the Catamaran/Hobie Youth Course!!!! .... using airline tickets provided by the HCA-NA!!!!!!

Members of Div11 readily "loaned" (not chartered!!!) out their H16's to Youth Teams, thanks to Bill Kast, Jimmy Glanden and other Div11 members who ready to give them up if needed .... just a small but very important detail .... the "loaned" boats were covered by insurance provided by the HCA-NA!!!!!

And when a protest committee was needed it was to the "HobieCatters" they came to .... Matt chaired the "Protest Committee" w/ Bill Colgan as arbitrator, along with Tom Korz and Wally filling out the committee.

The "Hobie" youths were just outstanding both on and off the water ... their conduct was exemplitory and impressed many of the other team's coachs ... RHYC volunteers and everyone else there. Please note that the reason I got permission for the "Hobies" to compete was because RHYC had seen our youths attend and compete in several "Open Class" and "Hobie Points Regattas" at RHYC and were very impressed !!!

While it rained hard on us on Saturday morning, then drizzled into the afternoon ... that didn't stop the racing ... (4) races under Matt's supervision were run on Saturday .... and (3) more on Sunday on a gorgous day ... (to add to the spectacle of 148 youth boats racing, the Chesapeake Log Canoe fleet was out racing too in the same area having their much longer course located/passing near our JO courses).

To see results please go to http://www.rockhallyachtclub.org .... the racing was tight w/ (3) teams tied for first and a fourth team one point back in the standings with only one race left to be run!!!!!

US Sailing President Mr Gary Jobson arrived to present the awards ..... he was very impressed w/ the perpetual trophy Jimmy had made for the "East Coast Youth Catamaran Championship" even walking out in the crowd assembled to shake Jimmy's hand when Jimmy was identified!!!!!

But beyond just our class awards "Trey" James was awarded the "Kindness to Your Competitor's" Sportmanship Award for rendering assistance to a fellow youth sailor (in Opti green fleet) .... and Matt Raybon was awarded the Corinthian Sportsmanship Award for withdrawing from a race after hitting the windward mark and thereby losing the possiblity of winning 1st place ..... these awards are in my view the most important awards!!!!!!

More people to thank ..... Dave Raughley/Div11, Rondo/Div11, Joe Laporta/Div11, Dan and Lynn Flannigan/Div11, Donna Murphey-Donovin/Div11-RHYC, JC/Fun in the Sun-Red Gear Racing, Div11 members-at-large, HCA-NA members-at-large, Gordo/HCA-NA Youth Program, Chris Wessels/HCA-NA Chairman and the "Hobie Cat Co" who provide boxes of give-a-ways/raffle prizes for the youths.

It was a GREAT event ..... and you too can make it happen in your area !!!!

Thanks to everyone
Harry Murphey
H18mag/#9458
Fleet54/Div11
RHYC Member

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11