Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
stringy wrote:
I can do up to the 28th with a preference for later in the week say from 24th, although if early that week suits others and the weather looks good I could do from 22nd. From what I have heard the weekend can be busy on Broughton with Friday/Saturday nights most popular.
It might even be an idea to leave on a Sunday early afternoon and camp Sunday night.
So should we aim for that last week in Feb from the 21st? :)

I'd be happy to go with 25th and 26th (Thur/Fri) or 22nd and 23rd (Mon/Tues) (need to be home on evening of 24th).

Are these the dates you're looking at :?: :?: :?:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmmmmmm, can I fit this in between my existing sailing commitments and my trip to Europe? What a conundrum! My heart bleeds for you Mickey :wink:. (Still, it'd be good to see you again).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Hmmmmmmm, can I fit this in between my existing sailing commitments and my trip to Europe? What a conundrum! My heart bleeds for you Mickey :wink:. (Still, it'd be good to see you again).

Likewise Chris :wink:
There are lots of things that attract me to this trip. :roll:
I would not only get to see you and Stringy again, but also see first-hand your incredible Hobie (Hennessy) Hammock :P
It's a trip I would never contemplate doing on my own - and therefore probably never will unless I bite the bullet and come. :)
I have not done an overnighter on the AI yet and this looks like it would be a very memorable occasion to "break the ice" :lol:
Might put the trip to Europe back six months :roll: :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah come on Mickey. Europe is over rated, and they tell me that Broughton Island is under rated.
We are all making sacrifices. I'm putting off painting my eaves to go. Now that's commitment.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Last edited by Slaughter on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey,
You'd be most welcome to join us! :)
You would have to bring your own AI though as my spare has already got a captain for this trip and there is a waiting list of other hopefuls! :wink:
I am keeping that last week in Feb free and am determined to get to BI this time. Looks the weather will be the deciding factor as to early or later in the week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just thought that I would take the opportunity to recap on who's up for the trip to BI and when. So far I think most are good for 22nd and 23rd (Mon Tues) or 25th and 26th (Thur/Fri). How about if we aim for the Mon, Tues and then if the weather is rubbish we have another chance later in the week ? Any thoughts ?

Attending
Slaughter - yes
ChrisJ - yes
Stringy - yes
Cowsgomoo - unknown
Mickeymouse - unknown
Okz00k - unknown

Any others ?

Also with Stringy's suggestion of staying over the night before. I reckon I will drive up there in the morning as it's only a bit over an hour for me but there is a caravan site at Shoal Bay right next to where we will launch. All those who would like to camp the night before, let me know and I'll organise it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Also with Stringy's suggestion of staying over the night before. I reckon I will drive up there in the morning as it's only a bit over an hour for me but there is a caravan site at Shoal Bay right next to where we will launch. All those who would like to camp the night before, let me know and I'll organise it.

Slaughter,
My suggestion was to leave for BI in the afternoon as we would have a better chance of sailing. The wind is rarely up in the morning and I'd rather sail than pedal 20kms, especially with loaded AI's! :wink:
If those coming can get the time to camp out an extra night I'd rather it be on BI.
My plan was to leave Shoal Bay after lunch and spend the arvo getting there. Worst case, with no wind and pedaling, it should take around 4 hours. That would still leave enough daylight for setting up camp and we would be fresh the next day for exploring the island. I'm hoping to get up early for a visit to Cons Cleft in Adventure mode before breakfast! :)
PS-I have a few mates interested in joining us so someone will be in my other AI.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gotcha. All sounds good. Hopefully we will have a good roll up. I go up to Port Stephens / Fingal Bay a fair bit and I've found that there is rarely no wind at midday especially at the heads. Fingal Bay is another great launch site option as you can drive straight onto the hard beach ( Google Maps at the intersection of Boulder Bay and Marine Drive ) to unload with rarely any surf due to the headland. Also a guaranteed park and less people. Thing is that it adds a couple of K's onto the trip. Perhaps 3.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I cannot do mid-week, still have to earn.
Have a great trip. I look forward to the trip report and pics.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a shame okz00k. Hope to catch up with you on your local waters soon. Or if you ever fancy something different up at Lake Macquarie, give me a yell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, that is a shame okz00k.
Hadn't thought of Fingal Bay for launch Slaughter. It looks good but is about 4kms longer.

Is this where the boat ramp still is and would parking at Shoal Bay be a problem midweek?
Depending on tides would Fingal Bay have less of a current?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There won't really be a current at Fingel. At high tide the current splits the headland through the beach ( there have been a few deaths there in fact ) but the bay is pretty protected.
You're spot on with the boat ramp though. In between that and the jetty to the west, just in front of the last houses. Parking shouldn't be a problem midweek. Perhaps if we meet there at a certain time, check out the conditions and then we can make the decision, but I reckon that spot looks pretty good and would save us 4 kms over launching at Fingel. If you haven't been to Fingel we should go for a drive down there after our voyage. Could be the launch site for another epic adventure, especially when the whale season is on.
Getting this close would be good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIrsrRnerHY
How cool would that be hey ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to get time off for this one. Things have gone nuts at work. Hopefully there'll be another trip at some stage.

Don't forget - it didn't happen without pics...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hope those buggers are paying you a fortune CGM. They work you hard enough. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:
Well, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to get time off for this one. Things have gone nuts at work. Hopefully there'll be another trip at some stage.

Don't forget - it didn't happen without pics...

That's a pity mate. Now we will have to do a paper, scissors, rock for your beer.
And don't worry about the pics. The camera will be the first thing packed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next