Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: foto attempt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ja ... %26.view=t[/img]

Hmmm. Not sure I did it right. Press Img then insert URL or URL then Img or both. Here goes. I'm submittttttinnnnggg...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:28 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Unfortunately, one needs to have a Yahoo ID (not a problem) AND be a member of the group (problem) in order to view your photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's a good free image site: http://www.imageshack.us/

Pretty self explanitory, and it even provides you with a cut-and-paste forum code to link to your picture.

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject: Main sheet block foto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[url]Image[/url]

Post subject: Oops
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I submitted when I should have previewed. Anyway (previous) this is what my Getaway came with. There is no boom. Can you see a way for me to get more purchase without a major purchase?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

DON't DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! shroud extenders have one problem in extremely choppy water- a very loose rig when the boat is righted. I had my 16 dismast in 2 foot waves before I could get everything tight again. I removed the extenders as soon as I swam the boat halfway across the bay to shore! Buckets and power righting work better (and safer! )
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

IT looks like you could put a smaller block where you tie the end of your line off to the upper block (I hope you can follow that). Then, put a deadeye (it's teh strap like thing you see over some cam lock jaws. I think I used the right term) over your cam lock jaws on teh bottom block. This would increase your purchase without to much $$$$

If you can get apic from an angle to shoeing both the front and the side it would help. Make sure the line is taught so we can all see exactly how everything is reaved.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like a 5:1. My H16 had a 5:1 on it but my arm would get really tired after an afternoon of playing that thing; I upgraded to a 6:1 and haven't looked back! :D

Jim

Post subject: dead-eye = pad eye
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie Nick wrote:
IT looks like you could put a smaller block where you tie the end of your line off to the upper block (I hope you can follow that). Then, put a deadeye (it's teh strap like thing you see over some cam lock jaws. I think I used the right term) over your cam lock jaws on teh bottom block. This would increase your purchase without to much $$$$

If you can get apic from an angle to shoeing both the front and the side it would help. Make sure the line is taught so we can all see exactly how everything is reaved.

The "dead-eye" is actually a "pad-eye". There is already one BELOW the cam to keep your sheet in the jaws. Another one of the same size should attach ABOVE the cam plate using slightly longer screws than the ones that already hold the jaws in place. As Nick was saying - the bitter end of your sheet would tie off on the eye-strap then run up through the block that he suggested you hang on the becket below your top block. The becket is the hangy-down thing where your sheet is currently tied off. (If you're Festus from the old Gunsmoke TV show then the hangy-down thing is your ear-lobe as in "hold it right there or I'll shoot off your hangy-down thing" :roll: )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

turbofan wrote:
DON't DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! shroud extenders have one problem in extremely choppy water- a very loose rig when the boat is righted. I had my 16 dismast in 2 foot waves before I could get everything tight again. I removed the extenders as soon as I swam the boat halfway across the bay to shore! Buckets and power righting work better (and safer! )
Dave

Hi Dave!
As I said, I have used these for many years. When you come upright the shroud bearing the windload should be the shroud that has NOT been extended - to windward - and the extended shroud should be to leeward. If you come up with the extended shroud to windward - disaster follows. I know :oops:

While you're on that tack you should be able to get to the loosened leward shroud and re-attach it to the adjuster. Keep your main filled just enough for control but not so much that you can't keep your boat flat while you are on the "wrong" side.

This is in a perfect world of course :roll: It is a lot easier with a crew. Of course, if you have a crew you probably don't need to use the solo-up righter system 8)

Sail on !!
-Stephen

Post subject: pullin` the pin
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ive just installed the extenders on my 16 and have had one successful "right" NOw ive not tryed this but ive noticed how easy it is to walk aft while capsized and you weight will turn the boat over. Meaning the bow will come out and the other pontoon will be in the air.
Now with all this said why not pull the pin on the pontoon in the water and then walk aft to flip that pontoon out of the water. AGAIN ive not tryed this yet but plan to in the future

Post subject: Re: pullin` the pin
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

zingaro wrote:
ive just installed the extenders on my 16 and have had one successful "right" NOw ive not tryed this but ive noticed how easy it is to walk aft while capsized and you weight will turn the boat over. Meaning the bow will come out and the other pontoon will be in the air.
Now with all this said why not pull the pin on the pontoon in the water and then walk aft to flip that pontoon out of the water. AGAIN ive not tryed this yet but plan to in the future

Now why didn't I think of THAT?? :oops: PLEASE let us know if it works 8) Sounds like a winner anyway.

-Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Grrrrr. This image stuff is new to me. When I switch from Imageshack to Hobie forums and back, both sites dump me. Bear with me while I see if I managed to get ONE foto inserted here. I didn't know there had been further discussion; I didn't get email notification. I am really new to this. Here goes. I am submitting ONE foto of my main sheet system, as suggested. Only one because I can't seem to keep the two sites running at the same time.

Post subject: Shroud extenders, etc.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hmmm. Maybe one foto is enuf. If I were to order a completely new mainsheet system, what would I ask for? (Remember I am old and female.) :cry: I did experience the unstable mast after righting with the shroud extender released, but the shrouds were tight enuf to keep the mast on. It was a lot of extra effort to get the sail down after an already exhausting experience, though, and then back UP. I couldn't get on the other tack so as to have to have the extended shroud on the leeward side. I never thougt of releasing the one in the water and then getting it around before righting. That's a couple of extra steps it's hard to get my mind around after a hard week at work. I sure appreciate this discussion. I'm only going to get older and more female. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

amamama wrote:
Hmmm. Maybe one foto is enuf. If I were to order a completely new mainsheet system, what would I ask for? (Remember I am old and female.)

Well, I still think you have a 5:1 mainsheet. I know Murray's (and I'm sure Hobie also) sells 6:1, 7:1, and 8:1 mainsheets. I'm 29 and not in terrible shape and have a 6:1 on my H16 and it still requres effort to play the main in windy (25-30knot) conditions but in winds under 15-17kts it's terrific. You might want a 7:1 but of course realize you're going to have to play more line for the same effect if you want to do it more easily. :)

Jim