Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TRAX TIRE FAILURE
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A TRAX CART FOR MY PRO ANGLER, KNOWING THAT I WOULD BE USING IT ON UNEVEN HARD AND SOFT SURFACES. I UNLOADED THE BOAT AT HOME AND RAN OVER 1 INCH UNEVEN PIECE OF CONCRETE AND THE TIRE FAILED AT THE STEM. wHAT IS MY RECOURSE FOR THIS. iT SEEMS THAT A STRONGER INFLATIBLE TIRE SHOULD BE MADE TO CARRY THE WEIGHT OF THE PRO ANGLER.

Post subject: Re: TRAX TIRE FAILURE
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Max, welcome to the forum. What version of the cart did you get -- the one with the older style wheels/tires (shown left) or the one with the new stronger wheels/tires (on right)? 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The cart that i purchased was equiped with the wheel on the left. My dealer replaced the cart with a new one, however it had the same wheels. My concern is if this happens when i am out by myself, Iwill have trouble loading the kayak into my truck bed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

The newer Trax 2 cart has the wheels on the right. They also fit the older frame.

I am more concerned that you have the correct frame for your Pro Angler. It is important that the scupper posts are clear through and into the cockpit when in use. We also have a keeper pin system on newer carts that should function on a PA. That only started with carts shipped last fall. Most had the newer wheel.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt

Does Hobie offer any kind of warranty with the Trax carts? I purchased mine with my AI last year (April) and have had constant problems with tyres defalting/puncturing. The cart does not seem capable of handleing the weight of a complete AI over time, I have read the newer version has tougher tyres, will it cope with a fully loaded AI?. Should I upgrade?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There are a few different Trax cart versions in circulation. The latest has "S" shaped legs for a wider wheel base, the tougher wheels shown on the right above. They are easily distinguished by smaller hubs and no traction bars on the tire surface. It looks like this (shown on a different boat here):

As Matt says, the legs should be long enough to slip all the way through the scuppers and latch as shown here:

There is an early version of this cart that has legs about 1" shorter -- works for most boats but is not quite long enough to latch on the PA. Looks more like this:
This early version may also have lacked "post collar clamps" (subsequently provided at no charge to PA owners). They are the black donuts on the legs.

Here's a review on the new wheels: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16179

See your dealer to get the correct cart. While either set of wheels is rated to haul your PA, these larger capacity wheels will make it a lot easier. 8)

PS: I believe these wheels are more expensive than the older wheels. If a warranty exchange doesn't work out for you, you can buy the new wheels and use your existing frame to save some $ -- keep the old wheels as temporary spares (you probably won't need them though).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies. Hobie needs to make sure that the dealers are aware of these differences in carts and tires so that customers can make the right decisions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:12 am 
Site Admin

I inform dealers of all these details. Information often gets lost in the translation, pile of work they have, transmission to their staff... We try.

Warranty on these? Yes, this is a Wheeleez product and they cover the warranty on tires. Have your dealer file a claim. There is an upgrade cost to get the newer tires.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Max - Thanks for the post. I was wavering on the Trax 2 cart given a hundred dollar difference in price.