Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flipping Hobie Bravo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

How many of you have flipped over the Bravo? Was it done on purpose or just careless or ....???? Just want to know what to expect when the kids are aboard and the winds pipe up a bit.

Post subject: Re: Flipping Hobie Bravo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Twice so far, The first time was just after I adjusted the cam angle on the main sheet so I could get the line into the cam cleat easier. However that made it harder to pop the line out (duh), and when a gust hit, I couldn't let the main out quick enough.

The second time was when I had my boom on and was jibing, it was blowing real hard and during the jib I pushed the boom to the other side and jumped over to what should have been the windward side. Just then a gust came from a different angle, the boom came back and I was on the leeward side. So over again.

There was one more close call when the boat seemed like it was going over, I let the main go, one hull all the way up and the wind just pushing the boat over, at the last second, the gust let off and the hull came down.

I will say all 3 incidents were in heavy air, with knock down gusts.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I intentionally flip with my kids regularly, I want to re-enforce that it is no big deal, no panic, just a swim and a quick practice of self rescue, A really important beach cat skill. Usually when approaching the beach I will get permission to tip over and go for a swim. "OK dad you can tip over now" Pretty funny. I want to sail with these guys a long time and dont want to scare them away.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I actually thought the boat was pretty much unflippable -- on an upwind gust, it spills air as it heels up, then tends to round up, spin into the dead zone, and drop back flat into the water (right side up). The one time we flipped was on a downwind run when a sharp gust did take us over. No big deal, very easy to right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've flipped mine twice intentionally (before my maiden sail, to make sure I could right it), and twice accidentally, and in each case it was quick and easy to right. The last time, though, was in maybe 20-knot winds (white caps just beginning to form) and the boat, floating on its side, for some reason stayed perpendicular to the wind, and its hull high in the air caught enough wind to move it along faster than my girlfriend or I could swim! We tried for about ten minutes to catch it but couldn’t. Fortunately we were at a smallish lake close to the shore so we swam ashore and the boat lodged at a dock a couple hundred feet downwind. We had a great laugh about it but it would be a different story if we were far from shore and far from help. Just note that it’s possible for your Bravo to sail off without you so don’t sail in a place where this would be a disaster.

--Bob

--George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Splishsplash I was in the bath, again. :roll: Bravo is easy to flip in strong changing winds. Its a very athletic ride to get the full potential out of her.How far can you hike out? Holding on with your toes to get the max leverage? I always make a point to keep the main sheet tightly in hand when conditions are swift, to hold on to the boat as a leash. Actually, try to keep a hand on the boat as its going over if possible... Speaking of leash... Was thinking an ankle leash like surfers use may be a wise accessory if sailing a ways offshore! Anyone done this? ... Cant wait for the the thaw and sailing again...