Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windward/Leeward Helm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I've had my new Wave since Sept 2009, and always noticed a difference in handling between a port or Starboard tack. Since it was just a feeling there wasn't much I could do to figure it out. Lately the winds have been blowing 15 + knots and I've been getting a better feel for the boat and noticed that on a Port Tack I had noticeable windward helm, which is what I expected. What I didn't expect is have a strong leeward helm on a Starboard tack. So much so that it takes quite a bit of force the point the boat up during a gust to spill out some air.

I checked the boat out and found some interesting/troubling items with the rudders.

First: with the rudders down, the port rudder has quite a bit of play in the EZ-Lock housing. Measuring everything out I found the rudder is about 1/16 of an inch thinner than the other and the housing is about 1/16 larger, giving me ~ 1/8 of an inch clearance the other rudder doesn't have, and explains the play.

Second: I've read about warped rudders and checked that out also. There doesn't seem to be any warp in the vertical direction, however in the horizontal direction, something is off. I don't know it it is a warp or the mold not being symetrical on both sides.

Here are some pictures I took from the very bottom of the rudder that best shows what I'm talking about. These are of the Port rudder, the starboard looks exactly the same.

So this leads me to 2 questions:

1. Would this create the issue I have with leeward helm on a starboard tack?

2. If so, how would I get this resolved. (Dealer is closed today, will be contacting him tomorrow)

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, that's pretty bad...I think that's definitely your problem. The concavity on the starboard side of the rudder would make the rudder want to pull to port and turn the boat port (which is what you're experiencing).

I'd take the rudders to your dealer and see if you can get a warranty replacement or at least a pro-rated replacement.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Contacted the dealer where I purchased the boat (sent the pictures), His opinion is I need new rudders and will contact Hobie about this and get back to me.

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

We are going to replace these for you when the dealer files the claim. I have also experienced this a few years ago. Had to do with injection molding and one side of the blade has sunk in. Maybe this boat is a bit older than 2009 model year?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

This is good to hear. The boat was supposed to be a 2010 model, serial number off the hull is CCMX9437G910.

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Thats odd. Thought we were over the rudder issues.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought an early 2010 Wave too. I haven't have a chance yet to try it out on the water. After reading this news I checked my rudders out. I not seeing what in the pictures of the blades being asymmetrical. Will double check them again. Could it have been a glitch in the cool process? Not getting the boat in the water until next month, but will check out any pull in the tiller if there is any.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sailorsloan wrote:
I not seeing what in the pictures of the blades being asymmetrical.

The profile on the starboard side of the rudder doesn't match the port side. It looks like the starboard side is almost completely flat (no tear-drop profile) and there is a big concavity about 1/3rd of the way forward of the trailing edge...at least that's what I'm seeing.

sailorsloan wrote:
Not getting the boat in the water until next month, but will check out any pull in the tiller if there is any.

This is not a matter of pull on the rudder, this is a matter of the boat consistantly wanting to turn in one direction (which would result in a pull on one tack and a push on the other tack). A consistantly heavy pull on the rudder can generally be worked out by just adjusting mast rake and rudder rake - it would not require rudder replacement.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I missed typed, should have left out "not". I did see the defect. Need to better proof read my typing. Enjoy your Wave, I know I will.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wanted to post an update on my rudders. Spoke to the dealer yesterday morning (2/16), he submitted a claim and new rudders are on their way. Wish my warranty claims with other companies were this easy.

Charlie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

GREAT to hear the rudder issue was dealt with so quick and efficiently!