Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roller Furler Jib
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A sterling job there Sterling! :wink:
You have overcome the problems, that standard jibs cause, of overloading the mast and losing furling ability .
An innovative solution. Well done! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
You have overcome the problems, that standard jibs cause, of overloading the mast and losing furling ability .

What Stringy said 8) :wink:
Great design & excellent photos.
Look forward to any video when you get a chance Stirling :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[/quote]
mickeymouse wrote:
stringy wrote:

What Stringy said 8) :wink:
Great design & excellent photos.
Look forward to any video when you get a chance Stirling :wink:

Thanks everyone :D
im working on a parts list for everyone and ill get a video or two up as soon as i can get back on the water

Post about my jib
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20991

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well it certainly looks cooler, but I'm wondering how it compares functionally to a Pacific Adventure sail rigged on the bow, like Skymax has.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have you considered using the main mast and adapting some kind of swivel, that would allow furl both jib and main?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Well it certainly looks cooler, but I'm wondering how it compares functionally to a Pacific Adventure sail rigged on the bow, like Skymax has.

Good point Chris. I liked Skymax's PA sail. 8)
I was interested in Sterlings solution as I already have a couple of standard sails. It would be interesting to do a comparison.
ChaosDave,
Jibs have been added by a few forum members. Tom Ray, Skua, itri and Yakaholic (among others) come to mind. They have reported good light wind performance but as soon as the wind picks up they furl the jib to avoid damaging the unstayed mast/v-brace assembly.
Sterlings innovation puts no extra strain on the AI's sailing hardware! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ChaosDave wrote:
Have you considered using the main mast and adapting some kind of swivel, that would allow furl both jib and main?

I have considered creating some kind of swivel adapter for the top of the main mast that would allow the main sail to still be reefed, but i have not found anything that is practical yet. suggestions would be wonderful! :D

Post about my jib

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm beginning the process of building the jib. Forgive me please for what will doubtlessly be a lot of requests for minute information. I'm not much of a DIY person. Can you tell me what you used for the length and width of the pvc tube beneath the front hatch? When you say you epoxied the mast receiver into it, are you saying you simply fixed the receiver in place with a lot of glue? Anything vital about the kind of glue? I don't have the mast receiver in hand yet -- it's on order. Is it the same length as the pvc tube? If not, I would guess that it sits in the tube so that the excess pvc tube occurs under the mast receiver (that is, toward the bottom of the boat) rather than above it, right?

What tool did you use to cut the hole for the pvc pipe/receiver in the hatch cover? What is the size of the hole -- the width of the pvc pipe? Or the width of the mast receiver which sits within the pvc pipe?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

timo wrote:
I'm beginning the process of building the jib. Forgive me please for what will doubtlessly be a lot of requests for minute information. I'm not much of a DIY person. Can you tell me what you used for the length and width of the pvc tube beneath the front hatch? When you say you epoxied the mast receiver into it, are you saying you simply fixed the receiver in place with a lot of glue? Anything vital about the kind of glue? I don't have the mast receiver in hand yet -- it's on order. Is it the same length as the pvc tube? If not, I would guess that it sits in the tube so that the excess pvc tube occurs under the mast receiver (that is, toward the bottom of the boat) rather than above it, right?

What tool did you use to cut the hole for the pvc pipe/receiver in the hatch cover? What is the size of the hole -- the width of the pvc pipe? Or the width of the mast receiver which sits within the pvc pipe?

Thanks!

don't worry about asking too many questions i'll be glad to answer them :D

The pvc is 1 and a half inches in diameter i think but when you go to buy your pvc take your mast base with you and make sure the pvc fits snuggly in the pvc. the section is 11 inches long.

basically the epoxy is to hold the pvc around the mast receiver.

I used Loctite Marine Epoxy the kind that sets in 50 minutes. i found it at my local lowes and it comes in a blue package. I used 4 packages worth of epoxy to hold the pvc tube around the mast. BUT BEFORE YOU EPOXY the mast tube to the pvc, mount the receiver to the hole you drill in your hatch, the i would be generous when applying the epoxy around the mast tube as you slide the pvc over it. once the pvc is around the mast receiver fill all the empty space around the mast receiver so that the only part of the receiver you see it the part flush with the hatch.

and exactly the pvc tube is longer than the mast receiver and there is about an 1 and a half inches between the end of the epoxy and the opening at the bottom.

i used a drill bit that is the same size as the mast receiver NOT the size of the pvc to drill the hole in the hatch. the hole in the hatch is the diameter of the mast receiver NOT the pvc.

hope this helps!! 8)

Post about my jib

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sterling,

Thanks as always for the information! Sometime can you post a pic of the top of the mast with its clamp for attaching the stays? As well, can you clarify the mechanism and construction of the furler?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

And another question: how do you put tension on the three lines to the mast? Are there turnbuckles on each line?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

timo wrote:
Sterling,

Thanks as always for the information! Sometime can you post a pic of the top of the mast with its clamp for attaching the stays? As well, can you clarify the mechanism and construction of the furler?

sorry i forgot to post that picture!
basically i used a hose clamp like you would use on the hoses in a car and steel kayak rudder cable from one of my old kayaks to make the stays.
i wrapped the steel cables around the hose clamp once and then tightened the hose clamp really tight. i had to get on a ladder and set up the hose clamp while the mast was standing in order to get a tight fit.

but you don't want to tighten the cables too much you want to be able to attach the stays without too much of a problem. i do not use turnbuckles on the stays i tightened the forward line just enough so i have to tug on the line that the sail rides in order to tighten everything up.
i took me a while to get the tension perfect so just experiment a little bit with it and you should find a good position for your stays :)

i will post a picture for you soon of my stays and the hose clamp installed on the mast.

Post about my jib

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

and im still working on the parts list for you too timo

Post about my jib

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Many thanks! I've got my mast receiver and sail on order with a spare hatch cover in case I screw it up. Should be here in two weeks. I'm much looking forward to putting this together. And of course even more so to the ice melting around here so we can get back on the water. This is a perfect winter project.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi Sterling,

like you I love my AI

when will you have a parts list available for adding a furling jib to my AI?

I live in San Diego, where the winds 95% of the time are below 10 knots, so a jib would be exciting!

thank you for all your pics and instructions on adding a jib and looking forward to more of your feedback!

where did you find the self furling mechanism?

let me know if you ever come to San Diego!

Best,

Van

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next