Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got a Getaway. I love the boat - so easy and so much fun. My problem is that I usually set up and break down the boat by myself.
I am wondering if it is safe to winch the boat onto the trailer. If so, is the mast step the attachment point for the trailer strap? Any thoughts would be appreciated

Post subject: Winch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

I would try to wrap around the crossbar rather that just the step post. You could bend it if the starp moves up a bit. Perhaps two points (either end) of the crossbar. Kind of a bridle set up to a center point to attach the winch to.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been winching my Getaway on the trailer when the ramp is just not right (i.e. too short) without any problem. The boat is so light, I typically pull it by hand if I can't float it, but when the ramp is steep and short, I've use the winch with a simple wrap around the front crossbar. It comes up very easy with no flex so I think it's very safe.

Note: if the ramp is steep and you don't use the winch, make sure you still tie the boat to the mast support before driving up the ramp; I got a good scare when my Getaway backed off 3 feet on the trailer as I pulled up one ramp. I had images of the boat left high and dry on the hard going through my head, but got lucky and the boat kept balanced on the trailer until I repositioned it!