Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sailing the revo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am thinking to buy a revolution in the next few months and am wondering about how the revolution sails. I would be using the revolution for salmon fishing on the salt and I am curious about how the sail (and perhaps sidekick package) could extend my range. Any information or experience that you could share about the revo and how it sails would be appreciated.
Thanks,
T2

Post subject: Re: sailing the revo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tsquared wrote:
I am thinking to buy a revolution in the next few months and am wondering about how the revolution sails. I would be using the revolution for salmon fishing on the salt and I am curious about how the sail (and perhaps sidekick package) could extend my range. Any information or experience that you could share about the revo and how it sails would be appreciated.
Thanks,
T2

The Revo sails great with the Spring Creek HD kayak stabilizers ($328). They are much better than the blow up side kicks. The side kicks slows the kayak down and the aerodynamic Spring Creek HD kayak stabilizers cuts through the water. See my thread Custom Hobie Revo Tri for links. Cheers, KB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

tsquared wrote:
Any information or experience that you could share about the revo and how it sails would be appreciated.
T2, welcome to the forum. Here's an old review on sailing the Revolution.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4709
I've never tried the Sidekicks, but most who have them really like them. For fishing and sailing I think they would be great.

Using his Adventure, Aloha Dan did a lot of offshore sailing/fishing with Sidekicks very successfully. Try a search for some of his early posts for lots of good tips on the subject. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the replies. I was down to the local Hobie dealer today, drooling over the revo but I may wait for a bit as the Canadian dollar is gaining against the US$ right now and the longer I wait, the cheaper the price will be! :)
T2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The revo sails great and with sidekicks and you can be comfortable in higher winds. The revo can capsize (turtle) easily in gusty 15 MPH winds. The sidekicks keep you upright even in 15-20 MPH winds. The inflatable sidekicks are easily transported in the hull. A great addition to sailing the revo.

Revo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding an image of revo w/ sidekicks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Revo1756 for your reply and pictures. I am still a power boat fisherman (I know, I know!) but now every fishing situation I'm in I find myself thinking"Is this doable in a kayak?" Today I was out on the west coast of Vancouver Island fishing for coho (silvers for the folks south of the border) and it was a beautiful warm fall day, no wind and we were catching 11 and 12 lb coho and I thought--I should be in a kayak!
T2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a good day of catching.

I was launching my boat yesterday and at the ramp was a guy with a revo fully decked with hobie baitwell and all and his friend was in an outback rigged up.

I saw a couple yaks on the ocean fishing and was envious but we had a good day of power boating, snorkeling and fishing with friends. We were out all day and when back to the ramp the guys in the yaks had also just returned. They had caught typical reef fishes and unfortunately had something tow them around for an hour but lost it.
Always a thrill to be dragged around by a big one.

Revo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice sailing pic Revo! 8)
I notice you have the Sidekicks in the lowest position. Have you tried sailing with them in the high position?
I have found on our Oasis that the high position gives the best sailing because the ama aren't dragging in the water. In fact I use the sound of the ama dragging to trim the boat by leaning/hiking out. The object is to keep the ama out of the water so that sailing speed isn't slowed too much. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi stringy,

That was an early pic of sailing with the revolution. I have adjusted the amas and use them higher now. I have not tried the highest setting but I do hike out to keep them out of the water as much as I can.

tsquared I too am a powerboat fisherman with a 20' Proline but I love kayak fishing even more.

When not sailing I use this setup.

Such a versatile craft paddling/pedaling/fishing/sailing/touring/snorkeling etc. etc. etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Revo--great pics! There is a great recent post on one of our local fishing boards about a kayak fisherman catching a large king salmon in our local waters here on the island. He was dragged around for awhile before netting his fish--which was only the beginning of his adventures. He decided to hang this fish half over the side of his kayak which drew the interest of a large sealion! He decided that he'd better forego the second salmon and cradled the fish in his lap while paddling for the dock. The power boater who posted this story said he ran interference between the hungry sealion and the kayaker until they reached shore.
T2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

how would they say it??

ARRRRK ARRK ARRRK now that is a good fish story.

Here we have the finned type of inqisitive individuals. Too often from my boat and local drift boats a fish comes back clipped off behind the gills. Darn it I lost it ... nope just got the head. I personally do not think I would land a fish up my leg over the side as I have seen in many magazines and kayak fishing photos. I treasure my limbs. But then I guess it is an odds thing .. what are the chances?

Revo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Revo performs suprisingly well with Sidekicks, (or Spring Creek), even in a strong wind the Sidekicks never appeared to be under unusual stress, if it had a leeboard of some kind it would presumably be sailing even closer to the wind.

I loved the Revo because it was so quick to rig and launch, and was such a multi-purpose Kayak.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great pic Skymax, thanks for the reply. I envy that nice Aussie summer weather you have going right now. I am sold on the Revo and will purchase within the next few months--then lookout salmon!
T2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Rev0-1756--I have bought my revo and the sidekick package. I am pondering how far back to place the sidekicks. I see by your pictures that your bar crosses fairly close behind your seat and that you fish without the sidekicks. I am thinking I may want to fish with the sidekicks in place once in awhile and so am thinking of putting them a little further towards the stern. Can you (or anyone with the experience) give me some advice on where to place the crossbar?
Thanks,
T2