Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:lol: You boys from downunder are just plain nuts. I couldn't go drinking with you. I'd die laughing...and at my age...probably wet myself...but then if I'm dead, who cares. :mrgreen:

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Augaug posted a video of the tandem AI on another thread. Here is the link--it is a Hobie promo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXIF6_CjLbQ

Now that is the design of an ocean going AI. Much more volume in the forward areas--bow and front of amas--and the amas are moved forward relative to the kayak hull. Ergo! Much less hull diving on the tandem compared to the AI. It still looks pretty fast--a boat for all people.

Keith

PS Unfortunately, by the time Hobie gets around to redesigning the AI (single), I'll be too old--Skymax wins again!

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe the next AI design... or the next. This one just really wants to go through waves, and it wants to so bad that I don't believe fins can change it. I'd be interested to hear what the Hobie engineers say when Matt walks in and says, "Those maniacs on the Adventure Island forum want anti-diving planes on the bow, so make them cheap, effective, leak-proof, and durable, and do it quickly!" :lol:

Matt, while you're at it, I want one that's fast. The AI Sport. Everything that is plastic or aluminum is going to have to be carbon fiber, and the rig will need to be bigger. Maybe a wing. And foils on the amas. It wouldn't hurt if it could fly two hulls. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking at that video this tandem adventure really handles the heavy ocean swell oh so well! Those pretty boys/girls never got a splash of sea spray on them!! Now that's a true ocean going craft!!!

Does the tandem AI also come with a cheese dispenser and bread toaster built into the hull which automatically shut down once wind speeds exceed 5 knots?
(</sarcasm off>)

Great product Hobie. My wife loves the concept. More opportunity to spend quality time together.

Personally, however, I prefer the single adventure island. Loads of fun, paddle-able, pedal-able. Most of all - I can manage it on my own.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Skymax, you have a way with words. Good luck on battling that cancer.

The rest of you "kids" be careful w/ the sun, and anything suspicious get it checked ASAP. As Skymax says, "Pfffft! A few easily-fixed skin cancers...." Easily fixed, yes, if caught early. Melanoma, maybe not so easy. But, whatever, get anything suspicious checked quickly--do NOT let it go.

Pass the beer, Slaughter. Darn, I wish I could remember a joke...

Keith

Yep you're right, that was an overstatement, there is nothing easy about Melanoma and no pleasant way to remove the others.
Your advice on any skin spots is correct and very important for outdoor guys.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

few examples of the bow going under. the boat is completed empty i have the sail partially furled. the first half of the vid i'm sailing on a broad reach and the second half i'm sailing a close reach. The wind was blowing around 20-25 knots.

enjoy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDA-SEjbsKY[/youtube]

P.S my girlfriend snapped her rudder pin, we should have checked it ages ago because it turns out that even though the boat was only bought at the end of 09 it still had the old black rudder pins.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good video, Dave. Very nice!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Keith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video Dave!

But, could you turn down your radio, I could hardly hear the waves! :)

The sprayskirt will protect you from most of those waves (including most aka splashes), and help limit some diving. On the downwind runs, if you take the waves at about 45 degrees, instead of strait on, you will start surfing the waves more than diving into them. A dive once in a while into a wave isn't a problem, but it does get annoying wave after wave.

Now, let's drill that first hole... :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reconlon wrote:
Great video Dave!

But, could you turn down your radio, I could hardly hear the waves! :)

The sprayskirt will protect you from most of those waves (including most aka splashes), and help limit some diving. On the downwind runs, if you take the waves at about 45 degrees, instead of strait on, you will start surfing the waves more than diving into them. A dive once in a while into a wave isn't a problem, but it does get annoying wave after wave.

Now, let's drill that first hole... :shock:

bit hard to see from the video but i'm not going straight into the back of them, i'm on a 35-45 degree angle. Its a hard toss up between getting home and submarining more :) Sorry the tunes are shameless self promotion!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does anyone spend much time hiked out on the tramps during the heavy air days? "not that it will help with the bow diving or that one would on a down wind run" ... but on the reaches i can leave alot more sail out and counter the heel and leeward ama dive.
Would that not help the speed and leave more sail out in conditions in Dave's video?

Great Vid!! I gotta start vids this year.. when the water ever warms up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ElementAI wrote:
Does anyone spend much time hiked out on the tramps during the heavy air days? "not that it will help with the bow diving or that one would on a down wind run" ... but on the reaches i can leave alot more sail out and counter the heel and leeward ama dive.
Would that not help the speed and leave more sail out in conditions in Dave's video?

Great Vid!! I gotta start vids this year.. when the water ever warms up.

yeh definitely should increase speed, but also chances of breaking a rudder pin. I plan to spend a lot of time perched out on the tramps.... as soon as i can afford them or find a cheaper alternative. I was actually thinking i may be able to use some cargo netting or something. Obviously it would not be as comfy, but it would be cheap, easy to make and not increase the chances of capsizing.

Last edited by ChaosDave on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:54 am 
Site Admin

This is a wet ride!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just installed Bob's spray shield.... wow what a difference. Am still fine tuning the attachments so I can take on and off quickly and easily to suit the storage and handling system I've developed ( I'm just a mere girl after all! ). Thanks to Bob and his wonderful wife.
ChaosDave, get one, I'm sailing in same conditions as you near Bunbury and it has made a huge difference!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

plaxy wrote:
... Am still fine tuning the attachments so I can take on and off quickly and easily to suit the storage and handling system I've developed ...

Let us all know what you come up with. Maybe you'll be the one to take the design to the next level!

Enjoy! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next