Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: location of mainsheet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi I'm a new wave owner.I purchased a used wave out of Seattle for use on Alta Lake in Whistler b.c. The Olympics are on now. Whahoooo! I have noticed in a few photos of the mainsheet being in front of and sometimes behind the tiller bar.I only got to sail once before winter set in and I had it rigged behind the tiller bar.Which is the right way, Thanks dugd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The original rudder assembly had the tiller cross bar in front of the main sheet. When the EZ-Loc assembly was introduced (not sure of the year) the tiller cross bar was located behind the main sheet. So it depends on the rudder assembly.

Basically, when the rudders are down, is the cross bar in front of or behind the main sheet connection point on the rear cross member?

Charlie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply Charlie.The tiller bar is forward of the mainsheet so that's the way I"ll rig it.I want to mount a stick on the bar so I can steer from a little further forward so having it that way will work well. thanks again dugd canada vs usa in 25 min.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased a telescoping tiller extension to be able to move forward on the boat. I only use it during light and medium air. I have a clip to hold it to the cross bar and don't use it during heavy air, because you have to sit as far back as possible to keep the bows up.

I have a mild love/hate thing going on with my rudder setup. In heavy air I like the fact that is behind the main sheet because I can get farther back on the hulls and push the boat harder. However when the air is medium/light you have to swing the tiller around behind the main when tacking or jibing. Most Cats are like this, but I used to own a cat with the cross member forward of the main sheet and prefer it that way.

The tiller is not class legal, so if you are going to race, you'll have to remove it.

One additional item you might want to consider is a traveler for the main sheet. Not class legal for racing but really helps with sailing off the wind.

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been looking into the traveller system,we get some pretty stiff winds in the afternoons here and like you say its ok if your not racing.Theres a hobie dealer in Vancouver I can order it thru.At this time I'm just trying to find ways of going faster.There's one other wave on the lake here and knowing the guy who sails it will mean no holds barred out on the water.These boats are an absolute blast in a strong wind. doug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Doug,

There are some tweaks you can do to the Wave, but when you add them all up I don't feel they make a major difference in the boat. Going faster will rely on your ability to tune the boat for the angle of sail, and pour on as much wind as possible.

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Doug,

I enjoy the traveler but it's a job to install. Not sure it makes you faster, just gives you more options.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I see your point.I just figure if you have more control and used right it would translate to speed in the long run.