Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harness Hook-In Systems
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wondering , which type of harness hook-in system is preferred by the racing crowd, the regular hook-on-the-spreader-bar, or the "key-hole" system :?:

I know and have used each, but was curious if, for racing purposes, one is favored over the other and why. Obviously, hooks can be kind of dangerous if they get caught or scratch on something and the dog-bones can really give you a shot to the head :shock: , but I've heard that the key-hole ball (if you will) can actually come off the wire it's attached to under pressure :shock: :shock: :!: .

Is it just a matter of taste :?: I one more utilitarian than another :?: Is one just considered cooler than the other :?: Inquiring minds want to know 8) .

Also, I've only ever used buckles on harnesses, whether hook or key-hole. They seem ok, but are spreader bars really the way to go :?: Thanks :!: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought two new this year with spreader bars. While not on the wire they seem ackward. They're real comfy while trapped...a more secure feeling. My son/crew spends way more time out than me and never seems to tire (and I ask him, don't want him falling off) but he's also 22 years young.

While racing, my wife got herself hooked on the tramp center lacing and that was a buckle with a quick release (Thank God). Your right, be careful.

I like what I have because I can keep my head up while hooking or un hooking. I suppose it's what you get used to. I would think you may have to look at the keyhole to "engage".

Now I'm curious too. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I both have the key-hole style. I've flipped a bunch of times and not had it "pop out." Also after seeing a photo of someone else do it, I hung upside down on the wire (hands on the sidebar, feet in the air); there's no popping out there.

I would also note that a t-shirt should be tucked in in either case. With the keyhole it can bunch up in there and make it difficult to get the ball in; on the other hand I've put holes in my t-shirts with the hook style. :cry:

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Some time back I purchased a boat that came set up with the ball/socket type buckles. Without going out to the garage I can't tell you who makes them, but they're the original ball/socket that you can't find anymore.
I used to use the "can't miss" rings and a regular hook type buckle.
Overall I would rank the rings as the easiest to hook into. The ball/socket does take a few extra seconds to find the hole. But I can still do it while looking ahead at the course.

So why do I continue to use the ball/socket these past years?

I race with my 12 year old son. And those few seconds to hook in are in no way worth the chance of losing him.
I personally know of two people that have had near death experiences caused by hooks catching during a capsize. I believe Doug Skidmore pulled someone up during a race a few years back.
After you've used the ball/socket it's hard to imagine sailing with a large hook attached to your waist around all those lines and wires. It's also more comfortable while lying on your stomach.
Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have only used the old original hook system, and have not gotten hooked on anything while sailing. Got hooked on the bridal while pulling a boat down the beach...

About the only time I have gotten myself stuck in a dicey situation was having the tiller extension slide up underneath my shoulder strap (The side that doesn't unbuckle).. Took a bit of dooing to get off of the thing, and would have been realy difficult had I have capsized.

In 2006 won't we all have to have a quick release trap system to race? ARGHH, another $100 out the door for my boat...

Brent
2005 H-16 S#13566

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've seen the quick-release hook setup in the Murray's catalog. Does anyone know if the key-hole system is considered quick-release by it's very nature :?: I've looked at several different manufacturers of key-hole harness setups in the past, but nothing was ever labled or identified as "quick release" :?

Even though it's a little (just a tiny bit :wink: ) harder to get into than the hook-ins, I've never had any difficulty getting out of the key-hole. Hope it qualifies for next year's season :!: :wink: . Thanks for all the input and SEE YOU OUT THERE :!: