Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great post...thanks for the information...I'm on my way to Lowe's as the temp gets over freezing...it's got a ways to go.
I'll look for your posts when it gets warmer..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MTKA...have you had the boat in the water since you installed the fish finder? Do you get good fish resolution? Mine is installed the same, and I get good depth and temp readings, but don't see fish like the book told me I would. Mine is a Lorance 50ds as recommended by Hobie, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:56 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Those PA's sure look nice!! Almost to pretty to get dirty fishing!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Haven't had it on the water since the FF install. Temps have been in the 20's with windchills in the single digits. It's snowing out right now only about 1/2" accumulation. My wife is driving me crazy and wants on the water. I told her as soon as it gets above freezing and if the wind isn't too bad we will get out. Looks like maybe another week or 2. I will definately chime back on my findings. By all the reading that I have done it seems like everything should be ok with the FF install the only problem I've read about is the temperature being 2-3deg off. Well off to the boat show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MidTNKayakAngler

I'm currently looking at trailers for my PA and OB. Is that a Magenta trailer you have pictured? What is the length of the cross bars, did you need the 80in, or did you get away with the 60in?

Is it stable at highway speeds? My first trip with whatever I get, will be NJ to FL this spring.

Thanks!!

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ron:
We have had the boats in the water several times since the FF install actually 5 or 6 trips with water temps ranging from 33deg to 45deg at night and during the day. The depth readings are really close within 6-10in, fish resolution is good. Individual fish are displayed, and bait balls are easily recognised. I have found the temp readings are off about 10deg above what they actually are. I've logged in probably 20-30hrs or more on the depth finder and getting comfortable with it.

Dave's Gone Wild:
The trailer is a Magenta I have a full review on here somewhere. I'll look for it and add the link for you. The crossbars are the 80" with 2 PA's I couldn't have gone shorter and been comfortable. We were running at 75-80mph yesterday for about 15 miles and 15-20mph winds and it tracked really well. We have around 300 miles on the trailer and it is holding up well. There were just some issues that were in my origional review. If you do get the Magenta get the 80" crossbars and have them add the tounge extension. Next week we are making a 550mile one way trip to South Carolina, and we will see how it does on distance trips since most trips have been anywhere from 10-40 miles so far. If I had to do it all over again the Yakima Rack N Roll would be my 1st choice with a better suspension, and more ground clearance.

I had the trailer review over on another forum here's the link http://www.kayakbassfishing.com/kbfBB3/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2609&p=17938#p17938

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the response! I went for it last week, 80 crossbars and the ext just as you recommended. I found a price I just couldn't say no too....

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It is a tough price to beat. Just make sure you check it over well. Getting ready for our 9hr+ trip next week. That will put it to the test.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We completed our trip late last week. The trailer performed like a champ. Almost 3,000 miles without a problem!!