Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I picked up my Pro Angler in the snow a month ago and it sat on my screened porch for a few weeks while I decided where to store it permanently. I wanted to store it inside and my garage was the only place it would possibly fit. That said, there's not much space in my garage once the cars, bikes and assorted other stuff are packed in tight. The only available space was on the ceiling. So after much consideration, I settled on a Racor Pro Heavy Lift as the best option.

The weight of the PA was a limiting factor in my choices for lifting it above my vehicles. The strap hoist systems I looked at were not rated to handle the bulky PA, but the Pro Heavy Lift can elevate 250 pounds! I also like that it doesn't require hanging ropes that would be irresistable to my kids. I was also concerned that straps might cause hull deformation. I found the Pro Heavy Lift unit on Amazon for $117 with free shipping -- it arrived at my house in 4 days.

The unit was fairly easy to install. I have a tall ceiling in my garage, so that gives me a bit more room to work with. I reused the plastic shipping material that was wrapped around my PA at the dealer to cover the metal grid platform. I cut the plastic and attched it to the platform using cable ties.

The platform is raised and lowered by a gear mechanism that is operated using a long metal handle. It lowers to just under waist high, so it's easy to get the PA on the platform.

It takes a little maneuvering, but flipping it upside down isn't difficult and the platform is very stable.

The PA is a little tippy toward the bow, so I wrapped a couple of short pieces of 4x4 with the plastic padding and placed them under the boat rails on either side just forward of the side grab bars. This takes most of the weight of the boat off the grab bars.

I moved the boat to one side of the 4'x4' platform, leaving just enough room to strap the seat and a gear box to the platform. I was also able to tuck the paddle, flag, mirage drive, and wheel cart under the boat.

ImageImage

I also put a couple of lag screw eyes in the ceiling joists at the bow and the stern and attached tie down straps to the handles. There is no pressure on the handles, but I figured it offers a redundant system to keep the boat from falling if the lift fails somehow.

She fits nicely above the minivan!

This setup really exceeded my expectations and will provide a great way to store my PA safe and sound inside the garage and still offer quick and easy access. Spring is coming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Excellent and a nice write up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice setup, cheers for the info & pics.
I assume theres no reason it wouldnt work fine with the Yak sitting the right way up either?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks! I'll say again that I'm really pleased with the setup. I took the boat down today to do some rigging and it was a breeze.

Unless you store it in cradles, Hobie doesn't recommend storing the boat on the hull as that could result in deformation. Storing it upside down prevents any potential for hull deformation issues.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Very neat.............here is another idea that one of our local PA owners did using a 12v electric winch.

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... h#p1402093

Neither of you must use your kayak as much as I do (45 or more times per year). If I put mine up like that every time, I would spend way too much time raising and lowering it. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is a nice setup, Mythman. The crank handle on my lift can be operated with a drill, but I don't have one with a large enough chuck. I have to crank it manually, but it's pretty easy. I also like being able to store everything with the PA on the platform.

I actually haven't even had my PA on the water! My brother and I picked up our boats a month ago and are anxious for the warmer days of spring. It is supposed to reach 60 degrees tomorrow, so we might try to do some water trials. I took the boat down today and loaded it on top of the car and the whole process took about 10 - 15 minutes. I agree that making the boat easy to store and transport is critical to making the investment in the PA worthwhile. I'm hoping that the lift and the Yakima vehicle rack system (cha-ching$!) will prevent me from having any excuse not to get on the water.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You've got a nice setup there! I have to say I love my lazy man's rig for raising and lowering my PA. With the pads and straps I use there is no hull deformation, however in one of the pics on my linked post you can see some oilcanning on the one side. That was like that from the mfg. as I bought my PA as a demo and can assume that happened during transport. No biggy though when summer gets here I'll set it outside and get it good and hot and pop it right out. Unfortunately my PA sees mote ceiling time then on the water...MM when's the next HI trip? I'm trying to put together at least one rig for fishing the gulf again. Bull reds out of a PA...there's nothing like it...(until MM teaches me the ways of the shark)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SinkingShip wrote:
You've got a nice setup there! I have to say I love my lazy man's rig for raising and lowering my PA. With the pads and straps I use there is no hull deformation, however in one of the pics on my linked post you can see some oilcanning on the one side. That was like that from the mfg. as I bought my PA as a demo and can assume that happened during transport. No biggy though when summer gets here I'll set it outside and get it good and hot and pop it right out. Unfortunately my PA sees mote ceiling time then on the water...MM when's the next HI trip? I'm trying to put together at least one rig for fishing the gulf again. Bull reds out of a PA...there's nothing like it...(until MM teaches me the ways of the shark)

Any chance you put up photos of your strap system?